BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2008 750Li Repeating Engine Stall While Driving

25K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  DFEL750I 
#1 ·
exact same thing incurred 3 times in shot time: engine stalled while driving, lost steering & break, could not start untill ~3min later, no log on ECU
1st engine stall: 4/4/2012, driving on regular rd
sent to dealer on 4/5, picked up same day. dealer said "no problem identified"
2nd engine stall: 4/9, turning corner in car park; hit the curb & stopped
sent to dealer immediately, picked up 4/18 after dealer test-drive >500 miles. dealer said "no problem replicated"
3rd engine stall: 4/23, turning into school. manually breaked hard to stop the car before hitting anything
sent to dealer 4/24. dealer said "waiting for feedback from Germany HQ Engineering". car still with dealer

reported to BMW USA, BMW HQ & NHTSA when car was with the dealer after 2nd engine stall: "apparently this heavy monster has become a severe threat to public road safety". urged for a thorough investigation

any E66 owner had similar experience? we got to stand together to help prevent BMW from involving in any lawsuit caused by this safety problem.

read enfine stall today abt 2012 3series, don't think it is the same case

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a similar issue a few months at but it was when I backed up or just taking off. My car would stall like there wasn't enough air coming in. It was hit and miss when it occurred. Cleaned my MAF sensor and it was better. Ended up replacing my MAF. It seems yours is more serious than mine since yours dies when driving.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer App

#4 ·
i did not take it very seriously on the 1st time when dealer told me no problem. now i will not take it back until a definitive report is produced.
i did researched it and determined to get this 2008. all bugs shall have been cleared up since it is the last model year of E66. no one has ever reported the similar thus no solutions.
i am lucky it is still under warranty.

#7 ·
thx to all of you. dealer checked cable, battery, and IMV (battery monitoring module) but found nothing wrong. i will tell them to check MAF too.
when you guys talking abt cable, or battery, or MAF, would you pls also advise the error code logged into the computer? I am pretty confident that you guys are more technically competent...

#8 ·
It sounds to me like you need to take this to another dealer. These cars are so complicated that it could be 1 of 20 different things. Somewhere you are not getting either fuel, air or power. The computer or DME has a lot of do with this. What I would do is bring a video camera with you to record the dash and sound while you are driving. You could even use a laptop if you wanted. This way you have proof. If this becomes a consistent problem and there is either an accident or it is recurring, then this car may be eligible for the lemon law. We are sorry to hear that the dealer has not cleared this up, but protect yourself. Remember that BMW has deeper pockets than most of us out here. Good luck and keep us posted.

#9 ·
My car stall on me while driving on the free way and at a traffic light . It turned out to be SBSR module which is located in the B pillar . I'm not sire if your problem is the same but I had the same issues

#10 ·
You issue would have been related to fuel. The fuel pump relay is in the SBSR module for safety reasons. If you get into an accident and airbags are deployed the SBSR modules cuts power to the fuel pump.

I hope you didnt pay too much to diagnose the problem. If you SBSR was failing they would just have to crank the car and look on the browne and purple fuel pump wire under the passenger rear seat for power.

#11 ·
No reading the threads I went out an bought fuel pump, integrated power supply module an SBSR sensor. The SBSR sensor was used though but it worked. My only problem now is my AIRBAG LIGHT IS ON:dunno: an wont go OFF :mad::mad::mad:

#12 ·
car died

My 750 produced a error message saying lost cruise control, engine setting to a reduced speed,instant loss of power steering and brakes as engine shut down on highway doing
50 mph,restarted when i hit the start button,a little unnerving at the time.Returned to dealer
they had to replace the cruise control cable-modual. no chharge under warrenty.

#15 ·
Yea I know the on;y problem is I have never use the software before. Any links on where this cable can be purchased?

#16 · (Edited)
an update:
i took the car back this afternoon.
dealer did test drive again, and replicated the problem with no codes logged by the computer. dealer reported the case to "TSE" and was advised to replace IVM. dealer test drove 380 miles with no more problem. - I will keep my fingers crossed and drive carefully down on the road.
on this problem, dealer had driven my car >1000 miles for 17 days in April. my damage is only some gas - still under warranty (i am lucky).
dealer said they did the same to couple of other 7'ers and no one came back.
lesson learnt: dealer is not always the best, hahaha... will go to the local indy when warranty runs out. quarterto8 had given me some good contacts in Houston.
again, I love you all for sharing your experience and knowledge!

#17 ·
Hello room! My 2005 745i stalled on me the other night and started right up but this was after I had to jump start the car.
I had a flat so while changing it I had the trunk open (not thinking anything of it) after replacing the flat I went to start the car so I could park
It better and notice that the comfort close wasn't working. The car still started so I parked it and went back to work. 15 minutes later my alarm was sounding off so I went to turn it off and the car wasn't responding to the remote. I had to use the key to open the door, once in I tried starting the car and it was dead. I wasn't getting any power but the radio & A/c was coming on. I got a jump (thinking maybe the battery was going) then took it for a quick ride to try and charge the battery. Once I got back to the parting lot I was pulling into the parking space and that's when the car stalled on me. I parked it after it starting back up and went back into work. 2hrs later when I was ready to leave work, it started back up with no problem. 2 weeks ago I had the car off but (radio on & iPhone charger in) and tried to start it and car wouldn't start. I had to get a jump and that worked (car never stalled for this situation)

I've read around and think it can be my battery, the intergrated supply module or alternator. Really I'm unsure and don't know what else to do but take it to the stealer (DEALER) and get a further look. I'm new to Houston and don't know anyone so if you all could help I would appreciate it.

#18 ·
welsome to houston.
i had mine done in Momentum Southwest. per my neighbor (BMW fan), BMW Advantage has the best knowledge. try it and let me know.
on the other side, there are quite a lot 7'ers in houston with best (to my understanding)knowledge, i.e., quarterto8, keith. they may shed a light with you.
paper in CA, CCCP in Canada, and quite a lot of "senior" members in this forum may cut in any time to help you too.

#20 · (Edited)
IVM module

08 750Li Same symptoms....(won't start ea time) so i visited dealer 2,x $129.00 diag.ea charge found nothing, and no codes registered.

So as they say "patience is a virtue"....it began with more and more frequency where the car wouldn't start, or would start then stall. Finally after happening about every other day I had it towed to the dealer.
Tow operator, upon arrival checked and the car started right up. Didi it again and THANK GOD it failed so he towed.
At the dealers the tow driver wasn't able to get the car odd the flatbed, since he couldn't get in "N". Asked service how to shift into "N", and was told directly under the trunk release, insert the key from the fob into the slot and turn the door will open and there you'll find a RED handle pull it and the car will go from P to N. Returning to the car the tow driver tried 1 additional time, and the car started, he drive it off the bed and parked it.
5 hrs later I got a call from service dept. the dealer, they located the problem and replaced the ......:rofl:Wait-For-It you guessed it the IVM module or "integrated supply module."
The dealer asked to keep the car a couple days more to verify everything ok now. And yea the dealer put just over 300 miles testing the car.
Thats OK as long as it's FIXED. but the ? comes up as to what the dealer fould that caused the problem to begin with, now get this a $100000 car and the cover to (something called) e-Box removed the harness and found the inner board corroded........wouldn't ya think that BMW would have had enough common sense to make sure that this E-Box was sealed some how??????
Just a thought.
The total repair was $624.65 ( no credit for previous visits and diagnosis)...Parts $135.28 and $448.50 for 4 hrs labor....got-ta-luv-it!!!:tsk::yikes:

#21 ·
no way, man, you paid far too much to the stealer.
the IVM will cost you $125 from parts dept of any dealer, and replacement is straight forward - a dude has posted here before. the stealer charged you 4 hrs??? WTH!!!
it is also a common practice to charge for labor only once on the same problem - in case it is not resolved on the 1st visit and you have to go back.
I went to dealer when the car was still under warranty.
all of all, you are back to the road now. lucky you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.