BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New to Bimmerfest/Buying a M3 in the near future

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  kazsak 
#1 ·
Im looking at buying a used M3 05-07 with about 60k miles on it. Here are my concerns if yall have any tips or experience please reply.

1. 50-60k Miles. Should i buy a BMW ext warranty or third party
2. Any major issues with M3 Convertible Tops? Years 05-07? I noticed there are more for sale than hard tops.
3. Is a used dealer really going to let me take a car off the lot to get it inspected buy my shop of choice? Has anyone ever done this? What was your method because i want to use this as a bargin tool also. I called several Indy shops and the Inspection II w/valve varies. Some also said if its not needed they will check for it but not actually do the adjustment.

#2 ·
It shouldn't shouldn't cost much more to do the valve adustment. Once you check, if needed, you pop out the shim, check which one you need, pop it in, and keep the removed shim for another valve or car.

When my Inspection 2 was done, a few valves needed to be adjusted.

#3 ·
2. Any major issues with M3 Convertible Tops? Years 05-07? I noticed there are more for sale than hard tops.
i have very limited experience with BMW vert tops, but I also noticed the difference in the amount of postings when I shopped around for my M3. just bear in mind (and you may have already thought of this!) that the vert will have a higher curb weight (~200lbs I believe) and will run slower 0-60, 1/4mi, etc times...plus the vert top will be another component of the car to maintain and keep an eye on. then again, the weather might be better for a vert down there in NC! just my 2 cents! :)

i decided to hold out for a coupe - sleeker roofline IMHO

#5 ·
no ext warranty here - and my M3 came with a decent amount of original service records from the original owner

#7 ·
no worries, best of luck with the search - when you find some good listings post them on the forums to get some knowledgeable feedback

(sure wish I had done that!) :rolleyes:

#9 ·
oh nothing drastic! (so far!) ...I just always like to research everything thoroughly before buying and I think these forums are a wealth of info!

#11 ·
at least you deal with the problem early on! :rofl:

...and as much as the E46 Ms has grown on me (it really is impeccably designed), i would've traded up to an E92 M3 ('07 on) in a heartbeat if i had the funds! you have plenty of time to shop, so you're bound to end up with something boss! :guitar:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.