BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Tire replacement?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  racooper3 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Would like your quick thoughts on the following dillemma: Finally getting the Walnut Blast for the carbon deposits covered by BMW. Need a new battery $500? Really? Say there's 2 hours of work reprogramming the electronics. Also, and this is the big dillemma, My front tires are "cupped" and giving quite a bit of noise at freeways speeds. Annoying but not the end of the world. Continental DWs with 35000 miles and plenty of tread left (6mm). Replacing the rears as they are "toast." I hate to replace perfectly fine tires because of the noise. Any thoughts here or on the other items would be welcomed.

#2 ·
Registering the battery takes 2 minutes. $500 is a rip off. Buy an Exide battery and have an indie register it for a $20 tip or something.

#3 ·
Was just told by the dealer that the advice by BMW to replace battery was based on age, not cranking power. Clock losing time was about the Intelligent Battery Sensor. So keeping the battery but they want $450 for the IBS. Told them that that should be covered under CPO and will hear back on that shortly. Otherwise, I can live with resetting my clock periodically. Thanks for the quick response.

#5 ·
IBS is covered by warranty, I believe.

#4 ·
I replaced my 2008 535xi lead acid battery with an AGM from AutoZone

And reprogramed and registered it with NCS Expert and INPA. Took all of 10 minutes.

I see you're in the Bay Area. I'm in Marin. -- If you want to swing by with your new battery, I'll program and register it for you.

H8 AGM from Autozone:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...-Battery/_/N-8gcxb?itemIdentifier=319459_0_0_

If you want to stick with Lead Acid, so you don;t have to reprogram, but just have to register, you go with the 95r size:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Gold-Battery/_/N-5yc1s?itemIdentifier=820339

#8 ·
Get 4 new non run flat tires at Tire Rack and sell the 2 good ones on EBay. Make sure you get new tires pressure balanced and the alignment checked. Can do it at Tire Rack recommended installer, BMW Dealer will charge ~$200 for alignment and $150+ for install.

#9 ·
BTW - "Perfectly fine" DWS with 6mm left? I have those tires and you must be close to the wear bars...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.