BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2014 X3 Purchase question.

10K views 65 replies 14 participants last post by  02420X3 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi I'm really considering getting an X3 but I'm trying to figure out if I should wait for next year for the facelift, refresh or whatever is going on? When is the end of the build cycle for the X3?

I'm looking at the 2013 x28i vs 2014 x28i and I absolutely can not tell what has changed.

Was this LCI thing done on 2014 models?

#4 ·
Unless something has changed it is every 7 years for a "change" so this is in the middle of F25.

Little changes each year. Big change, to me, was the 2013. The 28i went from an inline 6 to turbo 4.

Option packages seem to be tweaked all the time. By advice is to learn them well. You may find based on your choice of options that the 35i is not much more than the 28i as some of the options are standard in the 35i. The roof was one item like that.

Bob

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#10 · (Edited)
I have one more question to ask, this is regarding the offer I received. I just drove the 35i but I'm still a little on the fence if I should pay extra for it. The power is nice but I can live without it. I own a Pontiac GTO with a little over 400whp, so if I have the urge for speed that'l be my fix.

Is this a good discount for a lease?

BMW X3 28i

M-Sport Package =$3,000

Leather Nevada Chestnut = $1,450

Destination & Handling = $925

Total Built MSRP= $44,975

$2,900 Off

Total= $42,075

#19 ·
I have one more question to ask, this is regarding the offer I received. I just drove the 35i but I'm still a little on the fence if I should pay extra for it. The power is nice but I can live without it. I own a Pontiac GTO with a little over 400whp, so if I have the urge for speed that'l be my fix.
Is this a good discount for a lease?
BMW X3 28i

M-Sport Package =$3,000

Leather Nevada Chestnut = $1,450

Destination & Handling = $925

Total Built MSRP= $44,975

$2,900 Off

Total= $42,075
No lighting package and premium package?

#11 · (Edited)
You're working the numbers the wrong way. Don't look at the discount off of List. Look at Invoice, and see what you're paying over Invoice. If you're paying more than $1000 over invoice than you're paying too much. Some think that paying more than $500 over invoice is too much, but I'm willing to leave a little more on the table. You're actually not too bad here.

#21 ·
I just ordered a 2014 35 m sport every option ticked. MSRP close to $59K and got it for 7.25% off, which is effectively invoice.

Net $1k driving event I'm actually below invoice

Base rate of .00125 and residual of 56% for 12K, no other markups, I'm at about $725 per month.

Drive offs also reduced by $1k for loyalty and turn key

#27 ·
That could be the case, might be still too early in the year. I was buying in December 2013, back than all the cash rebates (holiday, loyalty, college, etc.) were clearly shown on the bmw web site and other auto sites.

But you are leasing, right? So you have more variables - residuals, money factor, etc. Can't really be of help with that since I never leased but I'm sure others will chime in.

#28 · (Edited)
:) Ok so it's been 19 days so far and this is the final day of production and it's currently going through a quality check. Next step they say the dealer takes over in delivering.

I asked about the production video and they tell me it's not until a few months after delivery is when they'll email it. Is this true? Kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me, that's something I would want to see right away.

Also when do you guys expect it's arrival time? This weekend?

#29 ·
:) Ok so it's been 19 days so far and this is the final day of production and it's currently going through a quality check. Next step they say the dealer takes over in delivering.

I asked about the production video and they tell me it's not until a few months after delivery is when they'll email it. Is this true? Kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me, that's something I would want to see right away.

Also when do you guys expect it's arrival time? This weekend?
Production videos don't exist anymore.

My car made it to the dealer within 3 days of completion. Its really the luck of the draw on when a truck fills up with deliveries to your region. If you live in a heavily populated area, you're likely to receive it quicker.

#32 ·
Sorry, just have to chime in while respecting that everyone has different priorities, price ranges, etc.

The premium package is expensive and, like you, I am not a fan of the moon roof. We almost never use it and it adds weight to a part of the car that doesn't need it. However, I am a really big fan of the keyless entry system. Just put the FOB in your pocket and never have to deal with keys again. We also really enjoy the Sirius radio and my wife, with a bad back, loves the lumbar support, so we ended up with a moon roof. Wish they'd add a delete option on that.

And, I am also a big fan of the 3.0-liter engine. The N55 is arguably one of the best engines BMW offers. It is extremely smooth, very powerful, and very efficient. I just drove a 2014 28 (loaner) and have to say that the bigger engine is transformational, like two separate vehicles. The 2.0-liter engine provides a normal experience with adequate power and reasonable smoothness. No complaints at all, but not exciting. The 3.0-liter engine is exceptional. Power seems effortless and more is nearly always on tap. Astounding torque at low speed, nice muted growl if you put your foot in it, but otherwise very quiet and as smooth as they come. And, our average fuel economy over 30K or so miles is between 24 and 25 mpg (light city and congested local interstate at 6200 ft elevation, and 3 long road trips). we've seen highs between 29 and 31 mpg (all highway at < 70 mph) while the lowest has been something like 22 mpg (winter, local commutes only). Higher speeds and heavier right foot would undoubtedly lower these numbers.

One final suggestion. If you can, do the PCD (Performance Center Delivery). You're not that far away and it's a great experience.

Have a good time with your new car!

#33 ·
I happen to like the roof but really agree with your comments. My biggest surprise is the number of folks that get the 28i but also pay $3K for the M package. I would think most would opt for the engine first and then if they had even more cash would then get the M.

Different likes for everybody for sure.

#38 · (Edited)
I forgot to mention the other things we like a lot that the M sport gives you, the sport seats which feel way more supportive than base and is something we're both used to. The M Steering wheel is fantastic the way it feels in your hands. The Wheels are much better looking and I love the the way the rear bumper looks with the darker painted surface, (diffuser look). Also love the front with its aggressive low stance appearance.

Tomorrow is the big day. :)

#39 ·
Yep, everybody has different priorities. We had 40k (plus tax) budget, so 35i would be difficult, except with no options at all. But I would not buy a 40k car without leather or auto-dimming mirrors anyway. And I strongly preferred sports seats (luckily in 2013 there was the so called "sports activity package"). My wife didn't like white with black, but liked a lot silver with black. In the end of the day we paid slightly more for our 28i but got everything we wanted (and more, I could not care less about the sunroof, but it came with the premium package).

As far as resale, I don't worry, we keep our cars long time.

#40 · (Edited)
Please know, I am not judging anyone and everyones likes and needs are different. I am just simply surprised by the number of folks choosing looks over performance in what "was" traditionally a performance brand. I think that shows that BMW has succeeded in attracting buyers away from the US/Jap market who may place a higher emphasis on appearance. This strategy will possibly keep BMW a viable company longer than if they stood firm on performance.

This is my first BMW like many here. I said okay to my wife due to the fact of the 4 year maintenance free program. She liked the way it drove and handled and why she wanted a BMW. I have read 100's of posts prior to purchasing. I see where long term owners state that BMW's performance/handling has been diminished over the years, yet to me it is light years away from Acura/Honda/Toyota/Lexus (where I came from). Still, I have read literally dozens of posts where 28i owners wished/regrets not opting for the bigger engine and although there may be some, I have not read a post stating the opposite.

As one can see from my signature, I am more of a purest and appreciate a brand's heritage. I do not ride a Harley as they have become more about the merchandizing than the bike, yet I understand that and may be exactly what has kept them in business over the past 30 years. Most folks have never heard of brand bike I ride yet it has been in continuous production since 1921. You'd be hard pressed to find a t-shirt their name on it too. :>

#44 ·
Please know, I am not judging anyone and everyones likes and needs are different. I am just simply surprised by the number of folks choosing looks over performance in what "was" traditionally a performance brand. I think that shows that BMW has succeeded in attracting buyers away from the US/Jap market who may place a higher emphasis on appearance. This strategy will possibly keep BMW a viable company longer than if they stood firm on performance.
Yep - it's a brave new world. Within BMW's Big Tent there is something for almost everyone. Yes I suspect this "dilution" is the price of independence. If you want a sporty ride you cannot assume because a particular car is a BMW that the "ultimate Driving Machine" comes as standard equipment. All is not lost - enthusiasts occupy a smaller portion of the tent but BMW still recognizes our existence - if for no other reason than marketing. If you check the right boxes - and pay the related fare - a BMW can still be very sporty. I truly marvel at my X3 3.5 M Sport DHP - it is a fast fun ride - just the perfect combination of utility, comfort and bad-ass nastiness.

#41 ·
Well, I don't think the performance has decreased, you do get more power nowadays on the corresponding models, but the handling is a mixed bag. I just don't like much the new softer, lighter, detached feeling. I also don't like taking away manual transmission on more and more models. However, as I said before, I find the handling fine for an SUV. But I did drive the F30 sedan and was disappointed. Even though it obviously has quite more power than my 12 year old 325i.

#43 ·
...... I also don't like taking away manual transmission on more and more models.......
I miss manual transmissions too. Everything is getting automated around us, point-and-shot cameras, auto-focus lenses, smartphones, and now the upcoming driverless cars. Hope BMW is not going to work on this idea - The reason I buy BMW is because it's fun to drive.

#53 · (Edited)
It's been a few weeks now but......

On pickup we noticed a cm size chip all the way to the bare metal above the drivers side brake light on the inner side of the tailgate. We have to bring the car in sometime this week to get it touched up.

There was an interior plastic cover missing just below the hood latch. Took our salesman 1hr to replace this. He was oh so super busy. :rolleyes:

Overall the whole experience sucked :thumbdwn:, our salesman was always too busy for us, doing many things at one time which made it very annoying. I'm also surprised no one called to follow up on how we were doing with the car. Our experience with our Lexus dealer makes them look like a bunch of snobs in comparison. They were all sorta rude, it seemed as if we didn't even exist. The entire staff looked like they didn't want to be there.

The two huge things we love about this car is the M seats, it's super supportive compared to the standard ones. Me and wifey feel right at home when we sit in it. Secondly the M package front to back looks awesome. I'm sorry to those guys who love the 3.0 turbo engine but no way was I going to scrap the M package for the extra power. The 2.0 turbo does just fine absolutely no complaints on it's capabilities to get up to speed for the freeway and passing others is a breeze.

The child seat fits perfectly in the middle and was very easy to install. We all went out to dinner including in laws and everyone felt comfortable only thing we're trying to figure out is why the AC doesn't blow cold after driving for 6 minutes or so, it seems as if there's a setting we're not aware of.

The start stop button is annoying definitely turning that off for good. Maybe in bumper to bumper traffic but for normal commutes no way.

Now we're still trying to get used to the ergonomics and what all the buttons do and setting up the profiles etc.

One more thing is the leatherette feels a little weird almost feels like a thin sticky material compared to the one we test drove. But it's all good nothing we're gonna cry over.

Thanks to everyone here for all your inputs and advise. :)

Attachments

#61 ·
It's been a few weeks now but......

On pickup we noticed a cm size chip all the way to the bare metal above the drivers side brake light on the inner side of the tailgate. We have to bring the car in sometime this week to get it touched up.

There was an interior plastic cover missing just below the hood latch. Took our salesman 1hr to replace this. He was oh so super busy. :rolleyes:

Overall the whole experience sucked :thumbdwn:, our salesman was always too busy for us, doing many things at one time which made it very annoying. I'm also surprised no one called to follow up on how we were doing with the car. Our experience with our Lexus dealer makes them look like a bunch of snobs in comparison. They were all sorta rude, it seemed as if we didn't even exist. The entire staff looked like they didn't want to be there.

The two huge things we love about this car is the M seats, it's super supportive compared to the standard ones. Me and wifey feel right at home when we sit in it. Secondly the M package front to back looks awesome. I'm sorry to those guys who love the 3.0 turbo engine but no way was I going to scrap the M package for the extra power. The 2.0 turbo does just fine absolutely no complaints on it's capabilities to get up to speed for the freeway and passing others is a breeze.

The child seat fits perfectly in the middle and was very easy to install. We all went out to dinner including in laws and everyone felt comfortable only thing we're trying to figure out is why the AC doesn't blow cold after driving for 6 minutes or so, it seems as if there's a setting we're not aware of.

The start stop button is annoying definitely turning that off for good. Maybe in bumper to bumper traffic but for normal commutes no way.

Now we're still trying to get used to the ergonomics and what all the buttons do and setting up the profiles etc.

One more thing is the leatherette feels a little weird almost feels like a thin sticky material compared to the one we test drove. But it's all good nothing we're gonna cry over.

Thanks to everyone here for all your inputs and advise. :)
Make sure the dial in between the vents is set to blue. If it is set to the middle or red, the ac won't come out near as cold.

#54 ·
JhonnyBgood,

I am glad everything is working out for you so far. As far as the dealer, make sure you call up the general manager and express to him or her how horrible your buying experience was and you will reflect that on the BMW survey.
Comparing BMW's consumer service to Lexus is like shooting for the moon, Lexus being #1 in customer service, considering that, your BMW buying experience was below average even for BMW dealers.
No need to feel sorry for us 35i guys, we buy this particular BMW for performance, not for looks :) The added bonus is that, personally, I think the X3 looked better with the black side claddings.
The AC system is usually weak in most BMW, X3 included. On a very hot and humid day, it takes about 10 min. before it starts to cool the car. Do you have it in MAX and recir?

#55 ·
JhonnyBgood,

I am glad everything is working out for you so far. As far as the dealer, make sure you call up the general manager and express to him or her how horrible your buying experience was and you will reflect that on the BMW survey.
Comparing BMW's consumer service to Lexus is like shooting for the moon, Lexus being #1 in customer service, considering that, your BMW buying experience was below average even for BMW dealers.

No need to feel sorry for us 35i guys, we buy this particular BMW for performance, not for looks :) The added bonus is that, personally, I think the X3 looked better with the black side claddings.
+1. :)

#63 · (Edited)
I think I found what was wrong, I had the resirc on A but when I put it on M I find that the air is consistently cold. This was on a 25 minute drive. Manual says A means it automatically switches on or off depending on the quality of air outside.

I also noticed an empty spot in each headlight where there isn't a bulb is this normal? if so why the extra projector housing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.