BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X3 sucks at low speed.

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  The X Men 
#1 ·
I have to say my 28i sucks at local driving. Turbo lag or some kind of engine hesitation, the car is not very responsive( I do have the up-to-date software). No matter from a complete stop or while the car is in motion, when you floor the gas pedal, for a whole second the car does nothing. And the car jerks between the first and the second gears, like when you drive slow in the parking lot. This is magnified when using the sport mode.

It has been a year since I bought my 28i. I like it, its very cool. But it does not drive as smoothly as I thought.

(Okay okay people are going to say that I should have gotten the 35i, but it's too late for the argument :dunno: )

#3 ·
With most modern day transmissions, there is some sort of delay when flooring the car, I am not sure if that is due to the drive by wire or the computer. The transmission reset procedure works for some people but you have to do it once every months which is not a big deal.

#4 ·
I noticed that lag as well in the new 2014 X3, 328GT, and X1 28i.

Test driving those cars, I thought wow, what a lag....

Compared to my E90 with the 6 speed ZF tranny, the accelerator pedal is so touchy - if you tap too hard, it will take off. But then it is a 335d.

Guess it's a matter of comparison and differences the F30 line offers.

I wonder since the pedal is electronic like the steering, if software coding might change the throttle response ?

Is Dinan still around ? I had a Dinan stage 2 on my E53 12 years ago and loved it!

#5 ·
Lag during acceleration

edbiology,

I, too, own a 28i and like you I find performance at low RPMs to be lacking. It seems that below 2400 RPM acceleration lags. Above this, however, and the car goes OK.

The way I get around the lag is to put the trans into DS mode when accelerating from a stop. When moving and wanting some performance I go into DS mode and down shift until the RPMs read between 2400 and 3000 revs, generally this is in third or fourth. Doing this gets around the lag.

ERK

#14 ·
My 2014 x328i drives like a dream. No lag no nothing. In comfort mode, it's more comfortable than my previous 2010 MDX, in sports mode, it goes the milisecond I step on the gas. The word "instantaneous" comes to mind, just like my previous 07 335i. Your car has issues. Go have it checked out ASAP.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.