BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What is the Best/ Easiest Way to Prevent Water Marks

6K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Revelation19 
#1 ·
I have a black car and just cannot find a way to stop theses horrible water marks as I dry the car. I don't want any complicated expensive time consuming methods, just a quick and easy way to prevent/minimize this. Thanks.

#8 ·
The detail person at a shop that I worked at would use the dishwasher anti water spot stuff (drawing a blank on what it's called)in his wash bucket . It seemed to do a fine job.

#10 · (Edited)
Dishwashing detergents (Dawn, Cascade, Rinse Ad, etc) contain emollients; an ingredient designed to protect a person's hands, by keeping them soft and prevent cracking and drying. However emollients make the paint surface more difficult to dry and leave an oily residue, this thin film, which also aids 'sheeting' from glassware.

The problem is that these emollients do not rinse away and you are left with a thin film on the vehicles paint surface, which will negatively impact polymer cross-linking and its durability. They also contain Diethanolamides, which act as foaming agents or as emulsifiers

#11 ·
I too have a black car (Volvo), and even with soft water, I still get some light water stains on the flat surfaces (hood, top, trunk lid) after washing. I dry as quickly as possible (microfiber cloth) and typically put on a light coat of wax/quick detailer to eliminate the spots that remain. I think black paint shows water marks whether hard or soft water, if the water sits too long on the surface. Have also found that the more wax on the surface, the less water tends to stain. My E34 is Alpine White and is so much easier to wash/wax.

#15 ·
My experience using a leaf blower is that it is slower than drying with a quality microfiber towel, at least in my humid Central Florida climate. A leaf blower is more gentle to the paint, but not faster. I pull the blower out for cracks and crevasses after I've already dried 99pct with a mf towel. In a dry climate, maybe it's different.

#14 ·
Not an expert, but....

It sounds like the the root causes of the spots are:
1) minerals in the water
2) drops of water are being allowed to dry on the car

To keep it simple, fix those issues by drying faster and if possible using better water.

Some ideas...

- Change your process to dry as quickly as possible after rinsing, make sure you're not leaving the car wet and spotting while doing wheels, etc. Do wheels first with a separate bucket.

- use technique called flooding the panel to dry, check YouTube for examples

- ensure quality wax/sealant is on the car

- use a quick detail spray or spray wax as a drying aid

- If all else fails use a rinseless wash like ONR, and use the Gary Dean method with distilled water instead of water frm your hose (see YouTube again for details on this...)

#17 ·
I use distilled for rinseless, even though my hose waters not too bad. About $1.50 a wash, cheap insurance!

#21 ·
Once you are done with the rinse, get some detail spray on there, quickly.
I use Adam's products, and their detail spray breaks down the harsh chemicals in the water, so you don't have to be in a hurry to dry.
Just give the car a good dose of it immediately after rinsing, and you can relax. The detail spray will help soak up the water, making drying 75% faster.

This stuff is amazing.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-676-adams-detail-spray.aspx

#23 · (Edited)
Distilled water is a good score. Use the leaf blower to minimize the amount of towel- contact with the paint, as this helps prevent potential swirls. Make sure to always wash and dry the car in the shade. Be very quick about drying too. Spritz the car with quick detailer as you towel-dry any areas, as this lubricates the surface and towel, helping to minimize potential swirls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.