BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Adaptive Headlights

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  CALWATERBOY 
#1 ·
I had to have the right side adaptive headlight module replaced.

I am curious as to "Programming the Moudule"

It took about 4 hours. What is programmed and why does it take so much time.

#6 ·
I've done some embedded programming work on systems like that. They can be ungodly slow sometimes. You are often updating over a very slow RS-232 serial cable, and the memory controllers have long erase cycles. A 48K bank could take half an hour to reprogram due to various issues. Course, that was back in the 1990s.

Could they use faster stuff? Sure. Would there be any business value? Probably not to justify the development costs. I mean, obviously an ASE tech isn't waiting for four hours, they are off multitasking.

And we all know that car manufacturers value their production costs WAAAY more than they value the mechanics time. Horror stories like pulling the whole engine just to replace an alternator.

#4 ·
It is my understanding that they sometimes have to do a full update when programming. In other words they reload all the software in the system to get you up to the latest software revs for all modules. This takes time. Apparently lots of it.

#5 ·
yup, they often have to program all modules to ensure compatibility across the network, and if it fails, they have to start over. the car also needs to be connected to a high amp power supply (not just a charger) to make sure the voltage doesnt drop during programming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.