BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How many would be interested in a Group Buy for the Eonon Audio/Nav Head Unit?

79K views 561 replies 82 participants last post by  madapaka530iM 
#1 · (Edited)
Are any members interested in a group buy for the Eonon D5124F 7inch digital touch screen car DVD player/Stereo with built-in GPS? This is currently listing for $339 at the Eonon website. The GPS map set is an additional $30. I have asked Eonon to see if the unit will pull Google maps from an iPhone. If we get enough interest, we may be able to qualify for a group discount. If you are interested, add a post below.

The following threads talk about the unit:

Musa's thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716255

Albo's Youtube video: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7203973&postcount=275

THE PRICE IS IN. SEE POST #62. $335 EA. NOT MUCH OF A DISCOUNT ($4). I'M OUT.

#195 ·
Hi Jynger, as we told you via Email, we offer free shipping to Germany. The postage for Estonia is only 3EUR, but since FedEx only has IP service (International Priority Service ) to send the product to your address, this why FedEx needs more 22EUR for the postage. Our website states clearly too: http://www.eonon.com/helpList.aspx?bid=6#72

Second, according to our import tax policy listed on our website:
http://www.eonon.com/helpList.aspx?bid=11
Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. You can also see it on our the specification part of the product page, we are not responsible for these charges, hope you can understand it. :)

Last, how much the customs needs you to pay just depends on your country. As Dvsgene said, different country's customs taxes are different. Since the customs of the USA is not so strict, so some USA customers need to pay very small charges, even some of them does not need to pay any taxes. But for Germany customs, it's totally different as far as I know.

And Jynger, if we sent the product to your Estonia address, plus the duty and 22EUR postage of IP service, I am afraid that you need to pay more. And the GB has helped you to save a lot, what's important that our D5124F unit itself is a great unit, even with the taxes, it is still worth you to buy, and there are so many customers love it, you will love it soon, just enjoy! :p

#197 · (Edited)
Yes I understand, its great unit and I will enjoy it, but "free shipping" turned into additional 45***8364; in customs taxes because TNT did add shipping fee to customs declaration calculations (has never happened to me before). That I would have liked to know beforehand and it made a lot of confusion.

#198 · (Edited)
Sorry, while I can't read German, I get where you coming from but I think you need to differentiate "Free Shipping" from Free of Customs and Duties and Free Proccessing /Administrative Fee. What TNT charged is similar to the 2% fee that Fedex charges in the my posting #187 above. IF there was no Customs, Duties or Tariffs collected than there probably would not have been any TNT processing fee.

As far as I know Eonon shipped it for "Free" to you since Eonon is not getting any money that TNT collects and if you never asked Eonon about Customs and Duties or processing fees before buying or read EONON/TNT/German Customs website or even my posts above asking about add'l charges even before you ordered than I'm not sure what you want. :dunno:

If one simply took the extra time to find the information on Customs Duties and Tariffs and Processing Fees, they are all over the net and easily found with Google.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the unit! :thumbup:

Lesson for other members: Know the Final Cost of your Import before ordering overseas!

#204 ·
via USB. i haven't tried bluetooth yet. my battery in the car ran down and died, so, i had to deal with that. NOt really pleased with the sound, but thats not entirely the radio's fault. the MID is still controlling volume,
and the dSP still has some say in sound, altthough the new unit's settings do work. Im just gonna have to play with it to get it right. In the long run, it's best to just rip out the dSP amp and speakers and start new.
I had trouble with the mounting bracket's also. the holes just don't line up. So, I put them in in a way they snug the radio in kind of like the climate control unit, but there are no screws holding the radio in.

#208 · (Edited)
Hi guys, About the DSP, ryan04 has shared with us his way, hope it's helpful to you! ;)
Just refer to his thread here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720415

Here is his detailed way:

That's the plug. In the back of your CD/Business radio. You need to buy a metra harness from ebay for it to be clean. It's about $12 with shipping. In your case you could unplug the cd/business radio and move it to your trunk. (that's where the dsp amp is) From there plug the aftermarket metra harness into your stock cd/business radio and make the appropriate connections. (listed below) After that your eonon unit should plug and play with your factory radio harness that is up front in your dash still. Hope that helps.

Connect pin 16 from the round pin plug - - with the wire from pin 4 on the Big AMP Plug
Connect pin 9 from the round pin plug - - with the wire from pin 8 on the Big Amp Plug
Connect pin 15 from the round pin plug - - with the wire from pin 15 on the Big Amp Plug
Connect pin 5 from the round pin plug - - with pin hole 5 on the DB25 plug
Connect pin 7 from the round pin plug - - with the IBUS wire on the smaller plug on the amp (should be white with yellow spots)

#214 · (Edited)
Guys are looking for the simpler installation way of DSP to work with Eonon D5124F? :D Great news to tell you that one of our fans ryan04 has shared with us his smart way, :thumbup: just refer to his thread here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720415

Here is his detailed way:

That's the plug. In the back of your CD/Business radio. You need to buy a metra harness from ebay for it to be clean. It's about $12 with shipping. In your case you could unplug the cd/business radio and move it to your trunk. (that's where the dsp amp is) From there plug the aftermarket metra harness into your stock cd/business radio and make the appropriate connections. (listed below) After that your eonon unit should plug and play with your factory radio harness that is up front in your dash still. Hope that helps.

Connect pin 16 from the round pin plug - - with the wire from pin 4 on the Big AMP Plug
Connect pin 9 from the round pin plug - - with the wire from pin 8 on the Big Amp Plug
Connect pin 15 from the round pin plug - - with the wire from pin 15 on the Big Amp Plug
Connect pin 5 from the round pin plug - - with pin hole 5 on the DB25 plug
Connect pin 7 from the round pin plug - - with the IBUS wire on the smaller plug on the amp (should be white with yellow spots)

Other guys who want to make the DSP work with Eonon D5124F, just follow ryan04***8217;s way to have a try now, hope you guys will make it work! :)

Btw, for those who has the DSP, don't worry now and welcome to join our group buy and get our D5124F ASAP. :wow:

Group Buy Link with discounted price for Members ONLY:
http://www.eonon.com/Car-GPS/Specific-Car-GPS/BMW/D5124FT.html
Not sure if this has been answered. Where should these loose wires be spliced into? :dunno: Using the round wire harness adapter for a non-dsp. The wire colors are orange, black , and red.

IMAG0190

#210 ·
Is there any way to get in touch with support? I bought a D5124FU directly from Eonon's website, installed it, and after 2 days the navigation feature just stopped working. The head unit won't read the SD card in the GPS slot anymore. I didn't touch it, it just stopped. It says "SD Card Do Not Exist". I have verified that the card is good and the data is still there.

I have been trying to get support since last week, but have been unsuccessful. The live chat is never available during your business hours. I have sent several emails, both directly from the website and relying to the saleswoman who handled my initial order (Susan). I have also posted to your official Facebook page. The only responses I got were "Do not worry" and "Rest assure" and that tech support would be looking into it, but so far I have not received any useful responses from support. I am not worried, I am frustrated at this point, and judging by the Facebook page, I'm not the only one.

I want to like the unit, it looks great, the touch screen works awesome, and I'm happy with all the other features. Without working Navigation, though, it's junk.

#213 · (Edited)
Is there any way to get in touch with support? I bought a D5124FU directly from Eonon's website, installed it, and after 2 days the navigation feature just stopped working. The head unit won't read the SD card in the GPS slot anymore. I didn't touch it, it just stopped. It says "SD Card Do Not Exist". I have verified that the card is good and the data is still there.

I have been trying to get support since last week, but have been unsuccessful. The live chat is never available during your business hours. I have sent several emails, both directly from the website and relying to the saleswoman who handled my initial order (Susan). I have also posted to your official Facebook page. The only responses I got were "Do not worry" and "Rest assure" and that tech support would be looking into it, but so far I have not received any useful responses from support. I am not worried, I am frustrated at this point, and judging by the Facebook page, I'm not the only one.

I want to like the unit, it looks great, the touch screen works awesome, and I'm happy with all the other features. Without working Navigation, though, it's junk.
This is exactly what I am worried about and why I didn't join the group buy yet. Even the rep here seems unsure of many things and only logs on after US hours due to the 12hr time difference. Even my PMs to the rep go unanswered while he posts about on the forums.

This is what happens when the seller and manufacturer is on the other side of the world. If there was an actual distributor in the US, many things can be addressed in more real time.

This is also why I think the 2 yr warranty is almost useless, any problems and you are looking at a 2 week min turnaround time on exchanges.

Keep the feedback coming, but my intial thought is that there are just too too many basic issues popping up like USB not working, GPS not working and simply no support in place to address these things.

Sad, as the feedback on the user interface seems positive. I seems almost as if it was never tested on an E39 and we are providing the installations videos via write ups and bug testing in exchange for a discount=group buy.

#215 · (Edited)
Ill answer some of these:

1. loose wires, mine are loose and hanging. We had no idea where those went.
1b. We used the brackets, and well, the holes for those and the unit just don't line up correctly. So, I have mine wedged in there like the climate control unit. It's in there tight, but it's not fastened in.
2. my NAVI feature isn't working. After we first installed the unit, even in the garage, I got a signal, and it worked. took the car out last night, the navi button didn't respond, and when I did get the nav to start, it wouldn't acquire a signal.
3. Sound quality. this is subjective. I have never much luck in the car stereo dept. In any regard, having to keep DSP hooked up might in fact cripple this unit. I am of the opinion to rip dsp out. I wanted to keep my car looking stock, but
if you are going to buy a unit, get a Pioneer or Kenwood. All 3rd party or nothing. I will continue to fiddle with the settings and see if it will improve. I have to say i'm disappointed. I'd love to get my money back. I'm highly tempted to remove the unit and just sell it for a loss and put my car back to stock, despite the fact I broke the tape player cover. IF you do not have DSP, this may work for you. If you DO HAVE DSP, think twice about the shortcut.

#216 ·
I am no expert but have done aftermarket hu install before and orange usually means illumination, red is power and black is ground. But, not sure with this harness since connections might be different. They should be connected to something cuz they had to be there for a reason. Hopefully eonon support can answer us soon. Cant tackle this until i get some answers.

#218 ·
I had also discovered that the speaker wires in my adapter harness were incorrectly hooked up, and even the label affixed to the top of the head unit showing the speaker routing and wire colors of the large white plug were incorrect. I discovered this while playing with the fader/balance controls and isolating one corner at a time. I finally had to remove all the pins from the adapter and figure it out through trial and error. Sounds much better with each speaker getting the correct signal.

#552 ·
i have 1997 e39 528i and i just got d5124f one and im having problem no sounds or anything everything else works as far as turn on turn off but no sounded and no lights behind the keys well i didnt connect the radio antenna yet bu the 1st think is and i do have dsp so im confused can some one help or have any video how ro install or picture plz advice or e mail me adskad88@yahoo.com :angel:

#220 ·
Yes, Non DSP. Easiest way to test it to just try it. Start some music or sound, go to the Settings > EQ, and play with the fader and balance control to isolate one corner at a time, and see if the speaker playing matches the display on the screen.

Also, for the brackets, mine did not want to line up either. Really, the holes on the large face should have been longer to allow more vertical adjustment. I would grind them longer if I knew for sure I wasn't going to be returning this unit.

What I did was leave the 2 side screws on each side pretty loose, then insert the head unit just enough to get the tips of the long, thin screws started into their holes. Then use those screws to slowly draw the unit into the opening. It should go in and sit somewhat flush if it clears the upper dash pad below the vents. Once it's as tight as I'm comfortable with, though, there's about a 1/4 inch gap across the bottom.

#223 ·
I cant take a pic today, gotta head out of town shortly. anyways, on the Eonon harness, there is an orange wire with a silver tag that says illumi. we just spliced into the orange wire in the bmw harness. boom, lights are on. My GPS is working
today. FM reception is spotty. You are going to need the european adapter. the one from best buy sucks. order it from sonic electronics.

#229 ·
ok, got GPS and bluetooth working today which was a nice treat. sound still sucks, but thats an amp and speaker issue. So, my one big question is, will this unit not allow more than 1 source at a time? I was NOT able to see the gps screen while using bluetooth.
Nor can I play music off the SD card and use the gps at the same time. It cant seamlessly switch back and forth between sources. I tried switching to radio last night to tune stations while using gps, unable to do so. any clues?

#253 ·
Hi Scott, you can play the music of the SD card or Bluetooth music while using the GPS in this way:

1, Please kindly play the music of the SD card or Bluetooth music first.
2, Then short press the NAVI button, it will switch to GPS mode, you can listen the music of the SD card or Bluetooth music and use the GPS at the same time.

But when you are calling or answering via Bluetooth, you will only here the sound from the phone, the other sound will be off. It's for your safety consideration, hope you can understand. Kindly have a try now. :p

And after confirmed with our techs, I would like to tell you that you cannot tune stations while using GPS, but you can listen to the radio programs without problem. Many thanks for your kind understanding! :)

#232 · (Edited)
Update on my eonon install

I started to install my eonon headunit tonight just to test out its features and to answer some of my questions/concerns that I been having. I was able to find out that for my 1997 528i, the red/silver wire on the oem wire harness is the illumination cable for the dashlights. I traced it to where it connects on the eonon wire harness and it appears it is connected to a pink wire. I believe the best way is to tap into the pink wire on the eonon harness since I don't want to tap into my oem harness. I tested with my multimeter and a home made extension cable for the illumination test. The pink wire has a +12V when the dash lights are on and headunit button lit when it was supposed to. According to the diagram on eonon headunit, the pink wire is for the "can rx" of the headunit which I don't entirely know what that is. Not sure if it is alright to tap into this pink wire but, I will ask eonon support soon. I should be able to post more things tomorrow. Too tired to finish tonight. I hope that helps some of us.

The red/silver wire on the oem wire harness = illumination cable for dashlights
IMAG0215

Traced it to this solid pink color of the wire harness of the headunit.
IMAG0207

The pink wire is the can_rx of the unit (diagram says its a brown wire but, it looks pink to me)
IMAG0202

Tested the illumination wire and connected to a homemade extension. Connected a temporary connection to the leads. Turned on the dash lights and the lights works on the eonon headunit.
IMAG0209

On another note, I tested the bluetooth, microphone, dvd feature, and radio. Bluetooth works on my htc one phone but, my external olympus microphone wasn't working for some reason. I was able to stream pandora and stored music from my phone to the headunit via bluetooth. Dvd player works well (don't forget to ground the parking brake wire). I already had an antenna adapter from my old aftermarket radio and installed that in and it seems its working fine. I didn't connect P-ant on the headunit but, it seems to work without it. Ipod connection works. I am not using my stock non dsp amp but, I have two aftermarket amplifiers that power the front and rear speakers so I did not have any sound quality issues. I will continue tomorrow. I'll keep you guys updated.

#556 ·
Help with my stereo

I started to install my eonon headunit tonight just to test out its features and to answer some of my questions/concerns that I been having. I was able to find out that for my 1997 528i, the red/silver wire on the oem wire harness is the illumination cable for the dashlights. I traced it to where it connects on the eonon wire harness and it appears it is connected to a pink wire. I believe the best way is to tap into the pink wire on the eonon harness since I don't want to tap into my oem harness. I tested with my multimeter and a home made extension cable for the illumination test. The pink wire has a +12V when the dash lights are on and headunit button lit when it was supposed to. According to the diagram on eonon headunit, the pink wire is for the "can rx" of the headunit which I don't entirely know what that is. Not sure if it is alright to tap into this pink wire but, I will ask eonon support soon. I should be able to post more things tomorrow. Too tired to finish tonight. I hope that helps some of us.

The red/silver wire on the oem wire harness = illumination cable for dashlights
IMAG0215

Traced it to this solid pink color of the wire harness of the headunit.
IMAG0207

The pink wire is the can_rx of the unit (diagram says its a brown wire but, it looks pink to me)
IMAG0202

Tested the illumination wire and connected to a homemade extension. Connected a temporary connection to the leads. Turned on the dash lights and the lights works on the eonon headunit.
IMAG0209

On another note, I tested the bluetooth, microphone, dvd feature, and radio. Bluetooth works on my htc one phone but, my external olympus microphone wasn't working for some reason. I was able to stream pandora and stored music from my phone to the headunit via bluetooth. Dvd player works well (don't forget to ground the parking brake wire). I already had an antenna adapter from my old aftermarket radio and installed that in and it seems its working fine. I didn't connect P-ant on the headunit but, it seems to work without it. Ipod connection works. I am not using my stock non dsp amp but, I have two aftermarket amplifiers that power the front and rear speakers so I did not have any sound quality issues. I will continue tomorrow. I'll keep you guys updated.
Where do you connect the illumination cable and how do you make the steering wheel functions work?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.