BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW Bluetooth Compatible phones; What WORKS?

1M views 1K replies 888 participants last post by  efanton1 
#1 ·
Find a Compatible Handset - Not all Bluetooth phones will work!
Unfortunately, not all Bluetooth compatible phones will work (partially or fully) with BMW's Bluetooth systems. As such, "Bluetooth" is an ambiguous term and insufficient to ensure compatibility. That is unfortunate, since "Bluetooth" is all that is typically included in the phone's description.

My experience is a good example: my do-everything SonyEricsson P900 does not work with my Bluetooth-capable car (the SonyEricsson P900 lacks a "handsfree profile" required to work with the BMW implementation of integration of cell phone and car). Successful 6 Series Bluetoth retrofit, but phone incompatible

Even if you have a "BT-compatible" phone with the BT "handsfree profile," there are other features that may or may not work properly. For example, the phone should automatically share its phone book with the car to enable a set of nice features: based on your phone's address book: Calling Name display and

BMW Customer Assistance has a short list of compatible phones (SE T68i, SE T610, SE T630, Motorola V600). A more extensive compatibility list is here:
More extensive list of BMW-compatible phones

What phones work for you?
Please share what works for you so that we can all share in your experience and knowledge.

Please post your experience: :thumbup:
----------------------------------------------
Phone model:
Car model:
[ ] ability to make/receive calls
[ ] phone book automatically synches to car
[ ] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[ ] calling name display (using adddress book)
[ ] ability to send/receive SMS

----------------------------------------------

See less See more
#330 ·
Will a Nokia 6128 or 6125 work with the Bluetooth?

Will a Nokia 6128 or 6125 work with the Bluetooth in the 5 Series without issues?

Reason for asking is because, I had issues with my previous car (X5 4.4i 2005). The bluetooth module froze up and I had to get it reset by the dealer. Using a Blackberry 7105t worked fine.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

#335 ·
Bluetooth Compatibility in 530i (2004)

I have a Nokia 8800 which pairs successfully with my car. However, the connection usually drops a few seconds later and when you do make a call the sound does not come through the cars speakers. As a result everytime I want to use the phone in the car, I have to put my simm card in my old Nokia 6230i phone which works perfectly in the car!
My local BMW dealer has said I should bring my car in for a day with my phone so that the Bluetooth software in the car can be upgraded. I got the impression this will be done under warranty. Has anyone had this done?

#336 ·
X5 bluetooth Verizon treo 650 setup

Does anyone have any new news on setting up the verizon Treo 650 with the X5? I have paired it up to my X5 and then the phonebook starts to download and then it resets my phone. Is there anyway not to download the phonebook? I would appreciate any help.

BB

#343 ·
Hey guy new the forum looks like you guys are awsome. I have an 06 550i. I have used my smt5600, cingular 2125 nokia 8801, and tmobile mda. to my dismay my new nokia n80 which i love so much wont work at all not sure why but Maybe you guys know someone who has had this problem. Also is there an update for the bmw firmware to make more phones work. I see some of you have had it done any way to tell which version i have
?

#344 ·
returned the N80 to nokia they said that they would be surprised if any Nseries worked with bmw. I think its symbian OS phones that is the problem becuase the SE P900 will not work either. anyone have any experinece with any smart phones besides the mda , smt , or 2125?

#345 ·
Phone model: SonyEricsson W810i
Car model:
[x] ability to make/receive calls
[x] phone book automatically synches to car
[x] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[x] calling name display (using adddress book)
[?] ability to send/receive SMS (Not sure, never try)

:thumbup:

#346 ·
Phone model: Motorola Q from Verizon
Car model: '07 525i
[x] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[x] calling name display (using adddress book)
[ ] ability to send/receive SMS - from the car?

The phone is very similar to the oh so popular Razr phones but it is a smartphone.

#347 ·
Has anyone and any experience with a Nokia N73?

I just returned a Nokia E60, Firmware version 1.0610.02.15. Besides other problems it would get in an endless loop of connecting and disconnecting.

Car model: '06 330i, No iDrive, Delivered 7/26/2006

Phone model: Nokia 7610, Firmware V4.0421.4, 22-05-04
The 7610 will on occasion fail, getting into and endless connect/disconnect loop. I then have to power cycle the phone. This does not happen very often.
[ ] phone book automatically synches to car
[ ] calling name display (using adddress book)

Phone model: Nokia 6810i
The phonebook will download into the car and the entries can be selected
via the radio buttons but if I attempt to use voice command I get an error that
the phonebook is empty.
[ ] calling name display (using adddress book) - Have not tried

#348 ·
I've used several verions of Motorola's V series including the v60, V600, V551 V635 and now the V557. They all worked fine except in order to get the phone book to display on the Nav screen I first have to select Dial and then Directory. If I press Directory first the system just hangs. No SMS but everything else.

#352 ·
BT success and treo 700p

Spent couple hours searching online and talking to local dealer about the whole treo compatibility. Had a sprint 650, easy interfacing- but only uses speed dial entries in phone book. Over 6 weeks solid use, had only one or two hiccups.

Took home today a verizon 700p, works essentially identical. Will need more time to assess for glitches, but so far no call dropping (frequently cited complaint in the various internet reports).

Seems to be a recurrent theme for BMW with such simple, common and popular devices (much like my carseat experience). You would think at 60K a pop, some entry level employee could be paid to check compatibility and safety for phones, car seats, and sundry other accessories. I expect glitches in specialty vehicles like a Z4 or perhaps even an M3, not a 5-series wagon. This type of guesswork is what I would expect when buying a domestic car.

Even our 2005 Prius fits a car seat better than the 2006 530xiT (although I ain't about to reclaim it from my wife any time soon...).

#354 ·
What version is the flimware?