BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Break Judder

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  vdiddy 
#1 ·
What can cause judder when breaking?

If I break gently then everything is fine. break a little harder and the front breaks judder

If I break harder then it stops?

Is this caused by tyre pressure / wear or warped discs?

#2 ·
I had this same issue on my 2003 X5 3.0i and could not figure it out. I replaced the tie-rod ends but that was not the issue. It ended up being the front control arm bushings and lower ball joints. Also, had the right side CV joint half shaft replaced - the CV boot was torn. My X5 drives like brand new now with 128,500 miles.

If you can move the front control arm (wishbone shape) then the bushings and lower ball joints are the issue.

#4 ·
Well - the front control arm bushings have to be pressed in. The lower ball joints you have to take the brakes off and pound out the ball joint. It is a big job! The CV joint is easy since you have the front end all apart. I say it took my brother and I about 6 hours for both sides. We used the neigbors press for the control arm bushings. Their are small arrows on the control arm and the bushings must align to that mark or it will not work right when braking. Also, make sure that you put the new lower ball joints in the freezer so you can bolt them into position without a press.

You can buy the control arm complete with the bushing already pressed in but its more expense. I bought all my parts from fcpgroton.com, called them up and they are great folks to work with. Go with Lemforder are bilsten parts not the cheap stuff.

#5 ·
Thanks Dan

I have found a great deal for upper and lower arms complete with bushes already pressed in and ball joints and sway bars included. Might just buy the lot. Should be easier to change if they are pre assembled as no press required. Will give myself a whole day to fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.