BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Another delay on the 2011 X5. You will not recieving it anytime soon!

66K views 565 replies 101 participants last post by  cvec 
#1 ·
Please see attached below that my dealer emailed me. Due to a seat module the 2011 X5's produced in week 15 and 16 are going to be delayed another approximately 2 weeks until they get the seat module. My car was done as of 2 weeks ago, and is awaiting to be released to the shipper. I have been waiting since December 2009 for my car. I originally ordered a 2010 4.8i and the production of that car did not even begin until the end of March, last month. I would not have recieved it until maybe now or in a couple of weeks. Therefore, I cancelled it ordered the 2011 50i X5 thinking I would get it only about a few weeks later. Now this stupid campaign. I turned in my leased Audi Q7 6 weeks ago, and have been borrowing a small car awaiting for my X5. Now a longer wait. I am sooo disappointed in BMW. And all of these other models, ie 1, 3 series, etc cars are being held up for a dumb seat module also. Amazing!

Attachments

#2 ·
That is why most BMW's are sold on the lot.

Life is too short to order a car, wait months, etc.

Consumers create the frustration by having high expectations when ordering a custom car only to be let down by one of thousands of vendors supplying parts.

And if everything goes right, the cars are usually scratched and damaged in shipment.

You got to want something bad to wait 6 months, and then only keep it 3 or 4 years.

#4 ·
Took us just over a month from order to delivery and we got exactly the options we wanted on the X5, after carefully reviewing what we really wanted. Not what some sales manager, sitting in his office, thought would sell well that month/quarter to the majority of the buyers.

Would I special order a car again? Absolutely, without hesitation.

#5 ·
Sd brandon, I preferred to buy a car off the lot. I could not locate one with the color and options I wanted. I ordered one with a 3rd row, as I have 2 kids, and we do car pools. Only about 10% of all X5's have 3rd row seats. And, yes we want the car really bad, there is nothing wrong with that. I had an 07 Audi Q7, the lease ended and we turned it in mid march. The residual for the Q7 was changed since I bought my 07, and is soo bad now that it would have been 250.00 more per month for that car vs what I had. I hate mercedes benz, would never buy one, and there are no other SUVs with 3rd rows that we liked. I enjoy my cars, being a car guy, and would be bored out of my mind driving a buick enclave/chevy traverse, and do not like hondas nissan or toyotas. Considering a Land Rover LR4, but with no free scheduled maintenance, the closest dealer being 40 minutes away, and with the reliability history on them, I am not so sure about it. So, I guess I will wait.

#14 · (Edited)
What about Porsche. Aren't they #1 in reliability? Wait, no third row?

I, too, am thinking about an SUV to add to my driveway. I was thinking about the x5d or x5 35i but I am concerned about the reliability of these new engines. Even my indy says to wait and see. But, I can't wait forever. Can anyone ease my mind? I have read many positive reviews regarding the 2010 models but most of them are for the diesel version.

#8 ·
Actually rans just spoke to my dealer...we are in week 17 now.....issues were with cars that were on the line in weeks 15 and 16....since they dont shut down the line they produced the cars without the part and will now wait for those to come in....the cars being pulled in now apparently will not have the delay...the memo states the same i.e. produced in weeks 15 and 16 i.e. already produced......I guess we will wait and see...apparently mine will be released to the vpc on the 29th.....or so his system shows.....

#10 ·
we're on the same week and completion date. i hope it doesn't get stuck at vpc after the 29th.

#13 ·
Only if you have on order a car of the same brand. I am very suprised that VW is letting you do this for a BMW.

#12 ·
We ordered our car 2.5 weeks ago, on April 9th. When I called my sales guy last week, he said it was, "In production". Does that mean ours was in production week 15 or 16? I spoke to my sales person today, before reading this, and he said it should go on the train next week, but perhaps he hadn't heard about this. UGH!!!!

#17 ·
How do you know your salesguy isn't lying?

Take your production number and call BMW- find out the true story.

2.5 weeks from order to production seems too quick to be true.

Just sayin'

#15 ·
My thoughts on the diesel are that the engine for 2011 will now be in its 3rd year. I figure by now that any and all bugs have been worked out and my car on order will be great.

I had a chance to drive the 2011 50i and a 2009 used 30d and made a clear decision the the 35d will be just fine. My car still came to 63k, but with the incentives for the diesel, not that bad at all...

#16 ·
CAX5, 0428 is correct. They would not extend me more than one month due to not buying or leasing another Audi. If I leased another Audi, they would extend my lease up to 6 months. And, I would have had to pay the DMV for one additional year on the license plate tabs, which would have been 650.00 out here in Los Angeles. I would not have done that to extend the lease one month. So, I am borrowing my father in laws car in the meantime.

#20 · (Edited)
800-831-1117

I have aweek 14 2011 X5M.

Called BMW twice. One guy said that the car was done on April 15th and had been completely constructed and undergone quality control, was awaiting shipment. Called yesterday, woman said that it was still in quality control...??? Who knows what the truth is.

CA now says that the car is going to be delayed, but I should be able to get it next week. What a mess down there. My current lease ends on Saturday, but they are giving me a free 10 day extension.

#22 ·
I just spoke to a guy from the BMW phone # listed above. He said my vehicle is in he production cue. I told him that I was told that it was in production, as of last week. He didn't seem to know too much, but said it could be delayed due to a missing part. He had not heard anything about the specific missing part. I was told to call back on Monday and hopefully they will know more.

#23 ·
Just heard from my dealer, my wife's x5 35i was released to Fleet Car Carriers today (4/29/10).

It will ship on 5/1/10 and has an estimated arrival of 5/3/10 at the dealer.

We have a week 17 build and located in Northern Virginia.

Cant wait for next week (knock on wood)!

#24 ·
Just heard from my dealer, my wife's x5 35i was released to Fleet Car Carriers today (4/29/10).

It will ship on 5/1/10 and has an estimated arrival of 5/3/10 at the dealer.

We have a week 17 build and located in Northern Virginia.

Cant wait for next week (knock on wood)!
Thats what I was told for my 5.0 today...they are expecting it in pittsburgh on the 3rd.

#27 ·
My CA have not replied to my inquiry regarding my X5 production status, it has been 3 days since I sent him the email and voice mail, should I just go directly to the manager now? I don't want to piss him off since I'm gonna ask him to throw in a free DEF bottle and maybe some floor mats.

#28 ·
So how will YOU feel when he says "no can do" on def or mats ...after he's ignored your calls and notes, and not been straight with you?

Call and have him paged, or tell the receptionist "I'll hold".... :)

#31 ·
2011 X5 another delay?

Interesting update, I contacted BMW NA customer service and it appears they know nothing of any delays. I even read them the message sent out on EPA/CARB delays on the X5 35D that stated the X5 35Ds model would not ship until May.

In addition they had no knowledge of the seat module delay for production week 15-16. It appears BMW automotive sales in area code 201 has more insider information on production then what customer relations at the factory will tell you.

I would strongly encourage anyone who is waiting for their beloved X5 2011 to call the customer relations headquarters and convey the information listed in the "Another delay on the 2011 X5 post and point out that we know what they don't know:thumbup:

#43 ·
Dealer called today and said to come get it tomrorrow!!
I do not expect that they are lying or jerking me around.
My definition of "come get it tomorrow" means "car is here today" or "car is on truck and driver called to say he will be here tomorrow at 8AM"

Anything else falls into my definition of 'getting jerked around'...

But I'm sensitive:cry:

Good luck- the good news it WILL be here eventually!

A

#37 ·
jkleinke You have no idea how lucky you are to get your car so fast. Mine is a 50i also, and my order was place in beginning of March. My car was completed April 14th. It has been sitting awaiting release to the carrier for 2 weeks, due to the seat campaign. It is supposed to be completed on Monday May 3. But this is the one of about 4 delays, every week the completion date gets pushed back one more week. I do not understand it. It is very frustrating. I am not getting my hopes up, as it will probably be pushed back again. I may not get my car until June!

#39 ·
Interesting distinction- perhaps production/operations has said "lets use whatever modules we do have on Comfort Seat Equipped cars so when the have to field retrofit we only have to provide rework orders for one type of seat"??

#41 ·
Really?!

I'd be up their business demanding why they are jerking me around. Where is the bill of lading providing the car is with a common carrier headed to the dealership??

Nothing worse than being lied to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.