BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

I joined Leslierc as a former 7 Series Owner

9K views 69 replies 24 participants last post by  Wolfman64 
#1 · (Edited)
I too, hope I am still welcome on our Board....I have had (3) 7 Series & like 8 or 9 BMWs, so I know and love the brand, but I could just not control my temptation, lust and a great deal!!! :) :thumbup:

I loved, loved my 2012 AH7...but after spending 4 days with a Rolls Royce Ghost loaner car, it planted a seed in my head & that damned Ghost was all I thought about, LOL!

My Ghost arrived Sunday afternoon (well, actually my spouse knew how much I wanted one & even went and got and the exact car I wanted...colour, packages and options)...so as a Birthday surprise, it was delivered Sunday. We are both car nuts, so it was SO fun. The birth of my son, getting married, graduating from UCLA and having a Rolls Rolls suprised delivered for my Birthday...the 4 greatest days of my life!!!

As I spend more time with it, I will post detailed comparisons to the 7 Series. As most of us know, the Ghost is 7 Series based. And they are VERY, VERY similar. Even down to that stupidly placed trunk release button :dunno: he he he

Immediate Rolls Royce 'Good':
Even with Run on Flat Goodyear tires, the Ghost is amazing comfortable, road noise and road imperfections are just swallowed and silenced.

The 6.6 liter V-12 is Amazing!!!! and the ZF 8 speed transmission is butter smooth like the 7 Series.

Leather, wood, plastics and real metal everywhere are of the absolute up most quality. Rolls Royce cuts NO corners on interiors...it is truly a work of art!

Real LED driving lights!! :D

Rolls Royce "Bad":
Even though the Ghost has BMW's Brake Energy Regenerative brakes...the brake dust is awful!!! I could go days & days with the AH7 and there was almost no dust. I drive the Ghost down the street & the wheels are dusty (they are very easy to clean though, and the Chrome finish is so polished and slippery, brake dust comes off super, super easily).

The steering wheel is tradt'l Rolls Royce big and thin (so used to BMW M Sport thick steering wheels).

Instruments are not back lit during the day like BMW 7 Series. HVAC is phenomenal, but there are no Temperature numbers (68F, 72F...) Just tradt'l dials with blue and red.

Even here in L.A., I usually go weeks or months w/o seeing a Rolls Royce. I am not used to people ripping their smartphones out of their pockets to try and take a pic or video me driving down the street in my Rolls Royce. And at Target, Trader Joes, Toys R Us...it causes a parking lot commotion. I do not like this attention; it's out of my comfort zone!

I have wanted a Rolls Royce since I was a SMALL child in the 1970's! I even had a poster of a Silver Shadow on my wall...when I was in Kindergarten. So, this is a life long material dream come true. I feel humbled, blessed and beyond fortunate!

See less See more
#5 ·
I feel humbled, blessed and beyond fortunate!
Dude, I'm sure that there was a bit of hard work and committment that contributed.

But I concur that it is a fabulously looking car, and I can imagine the unfussed ride :).

#6 ·
Pictures PLEASE!!!! You just lept to Pack Leader, my man! Congratulations on the Ghost!

#7 · (Edited)
THANK YOU for all the great comments, I appreciate it. It has been a LONG time in the making to get a Rolls Royce...and I could not be any more satisfied or happy!

For it's sheer weight and size....it handles beautifully. It does NOT handle as well as the 7 Series, but it still feels great. Brakes are somewhat softer than the 7, but are quick and efficient.

Each time I find a new button or interior detail...It is covered in real metal, piano black lacquered wood or leather. Interior quality and materials are unlike anything I have ever seen!!

The V-12 propels this beast like a bullet train. Honestly, it is shocking how fast and strong it is.

In case any fellow car nuts are interested in the options I wanted & got they are: Driver's Assistance (Lane Departure, Heads Up, Night vision), Rear, side and top view camera system, Comfort Access, Panorama Roof, Massage seats, Adaptive Xenon, Rear Refrigerator (yes!! lol), picnic tables in rear, Lambswool carpets, Dual exposed Polished Chrome Exhaust pipes, 20" Factory Chrome wheels, Body coloured wheel centers, Black Cashmere Head lining, Front ventilated seats, rear ventilated seats, RR stiched on all headrests, Contrast white stiching on all leather surfaces and RR wood inlays to door cappings! ;)

Here are some quick iPhone pics (not the best quality or lighting), but here they are!!

#9 ·
You can always buy used.

#10 ·
Stunning car, the Phantom - as jaw dropping as it is, its just TOO large. You can see a couple down PCH, and its shocking how large the car is in person. It looks like it has a Chevy Suburban footprint.

I like the Ghost as it takes most of the lines from the larger Phantom but in a more practical size. The Phantom seems too much of a footballer/rapper/geriatric-chauffered ride, and the Ghost is more the Drivers Car.

Congrats on your purchase, you'll have to keep us updated on here how it turns out.:thumbup:
Chris

#11 ·
Absolutely beautiful, now stop posting pictures of THAT car please! j/k Love it.

#12 ·
Thanks for the pics! I'm doubling down on my last comment...that Ghost is the SH*T, an absolute MFer (taking a page from the slang of my youth)! Love the suicide rear doors!!!!!:thumbup:

#13 ·
Oh. My. God. I. Envy. You. Congratulations on the RR! Let me know if you would ever like to change the wheels ;)

#14 ·
Congratulations!
Such a beautiful car. Rolls Royce under its BMW ownership really has reached a perfect blend of style, classic design, technology and electronic reliability, something it didn't have before.

Much better focus on details, such as the switches you describe so well.
I remember the electrical system of the old Silver Spur's; a typical british nightmare...

You might want to consider replacing the brake pads on the car. We had Akebono performance ceramic pads installed on our MB's which were just awful with the stock pads and the difference was day and night.

Even though driving the 4500lbs. SL600 aggressively, the wheels stay clean for over a week and the braking with the ceramic pads is as good as stock.

Enjoy!

#23 ·
According to the Akebono...the dust free Euro pads are not available for Rolls Royce or 7 Series. I sent them an email asking for sure though. Luckily the wheel design and the super glossy, slippery chrome finish makes the Rolls Royce wheels super easy to clean...but if I want them to look shiny, they need to be daily or 2x day if heavy driving & city stop & go. Annoying, but for sure a High Quality problem!!! :D

#16 ·
Wow....love and appreciate all the beautiful, positive and happy comments! I am literally on Cloud 9, and I need to keep pinching myself everytime I see it parked in the garage, or when I approach it in a park lot! Just so f---ing awesome!!! :)

#19 · (Edited)
Does it have the wheelbase of an F01 or F02? If not mistaken, they're coming out with a long wheelbase model as well, right?

And, any updates for the 2013 model year, as there has been with the 7?

If they know what they're doing, they'd come out with RR's first-ever "Sport Pack" (bumpers, wheels, steering wheel and door sills; hehe)!

#27 ·
All wheels, mine and what are shown for this EWB 2013 are available. Have been since 2010! The dealer told me that most buyers, do not order or want the wheels, that are shown in the video. Maybe RR has so many, that they are making them Standard on the EWB. They are pretty in person, but look very conservative and "old fashioned". The Ghost and Phantom are so stately as they are...they don't need conservative wheels to boot :D

#28 ·
I was almost 100% certain I would get the 2013 Range Rover (it would be our 4th RRover). When I saw the official pictures, now on Land Rover USA website)...I cannot get past the near identical Ford Explorer front & rear lights and Explorer front grille and bumper. I have no frickin idea what TaTa and Land Rover were thinking!!!:dunno:

#26 · (Edited)
So does the Standard Wheelbase Ghost equal the Short Wheelbase 7, while the Extended Wheelbase Ghost equal the Long Wheelbase 7 or does the Standard Wheelbase Ghost equal the Long Wheelbase 7, while the Extended Wheelbase Ghost eclipse the Long Wheelbase 7?

And is it easier, the same or more difficult to get in and out of the rear?

Does your dealer give out RR loaners?

Thanks.

#29 ·
The short wheelbase (or Standard) RR Ghost is a tad longer than the BMW long wheelbase 7 Series. The Extended wheelbase Ghost is much longer, but shorter than the standard Phantom RR. The Extended Phantom is HUGE. Actually the standard Phantom is basically totally unusable for day to day driving. It is just impossible big and cumbersome!

If they are available, our Rolls Royce & Bentley dealer will provide a Ghost or Flying Spur loaner. If the few they have are already 'checked out'...They told me they will provide a Jaguar XJ, Mercedes CL, Porsche Panamera, Porsche Cayenne or Audi A7 or A8. So....getting a loaner car sounds kinda fun!! LOL :rofl: When we had our Bentley in for Service and repairing a paint nicked side mirror...the Dealer provided us a new Rolls Ghost for 4 days and paid for gas to boot! It appears Rolls Royce and Bentley Service is over the top accomodating and pro customer!!

#31 · (Edited)
Oh yeah...forgot to add that. Yes, I have the dual exposed polished chrome exhaust tips! TRUST ME....I would have never ordered them and paid for this, but it was on the car that had basically every option & package I wanted. The exposed dual exhaust tips are $3,300.00. Yeah, $3,300!! Insane, stupid...but I have them, LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.