BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Dealer comments re: 2005/6 changeover.

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Llarry 
#1 ·
I was told yesterday by a supervisor type in a local dealership that the M3 model year would change 1 Oct.

He said that there would be no major change in the vehicle (that would be the 07 model year) but that the 06 would begin production 1 Oct and be availble for delivery later in that month.

I like the current style anyway, but think may go for the 06 just because value will be higher two or three years from not.

(Caveat: I am pretty new to all this and don't have one yet, so don't actually KNOW very much:)

Wonder if anyone else has more info?

#3 ·
I keep hearing there will be no M3 in 2006. I would love to get this confirmed by someone who knows for sure.

I am toying with the idea of buying a new 2005 right now for the simple fact I don't want to wait until '07 and I am not positive I like the new styling direction. Granted I would love the V8 power, but this way I can have it both ways. The option value to keep the '05 or upgrade to the '07 albeit at a major kick in the wallet on trade-in but you have to pay to play...

#5 ·
Bruce said:
06 should be a short model year. I fully expect the E90 coupe to go into production towards the end of this year/beginning of next year. They can make E90 coupes and E46 M3s. There should be a full year of E46 M3 cabs I would guess.
Just so I understand are you saying the E90 coupe (as in base 3 series) will go into production towards late 2005, early 2006. What about the E90 M3 then? I am hearing most people think summer '07 is the most reasonable time to expect the next M3.

#6 ·
What normally happens is M doesn't get the chassis until the regular model are finished. So figure they just recently (or so will) got the chassis to start tuning. Don't expect the E90 M3 out for at least a year after the E90 coupe is released (and that should be early next year). So...I wouldn't expect the E90 M3 until early 07.

#7 ·
2006 change over

If indeed the 2006 model year change over will officially take place on October 1st, when do you suppose an order can be placed for a 2006 M3? Does anyone know when the dealers will be given the 2006 option list?

#8 ·
jotarver said:
If indeed the 2006 model year change over will officially take place on October 1st, when do you suppose an order can be placed for a 2006 M3? Does anyone know when the dealers will be given the 2006 option list?
You can place an order with a dealer who is willing to accept that order at any time. The dealer will not, in turn, order the car from BMWNA until he has an allocation. Allocations are made available a month at a time to dealers just a month+ before the production month.

Of course, the earlier that you order the car, the less certain you (or the dealer) may be about details of the order. In other words, BMW could discontinue a color or option or add a new one.

However, MY2006 is the last year for the E46 M3 and normally there are few changes near the end. I think it's even quite possible that prices will carry over unchanged as well.

You need to structure the deal to give you and the dealer some flexibility. For instance, you figure out what 2005 car you want now and walk into the dealership to order that car. The documentation lists colors, options, etc., but you can change those at any time up until just before the car is actually built.

The price is also slightly tricky. If you both agree to MSRP, then you pay more if the price goes up and less if it goes down (...yeah, right!) Or you might agree to wholesale PLUS $2,000 or MSRP less $1,500 plus options at wholesale. If you want to order early, you're probably going to have to make some kind of accomodation for the uncertainty.

While model year changeover is when these questions come up most, really stuff can happen anytime. BMW makes changes all the time...mostly little ones that few people notice. A different fastener at some place under the hood, etc. And if you've got your heart set on Silver Gray metallic and they drop the color, ouch! You scramble to find a second choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.