Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 bmw 645 ci
Deal or no deal???

hello team, I need help, I just got a laundry list of items that the dealer is telling me I need to fix on my 2004 645ci with 80k miles, theysaid my thermostat is stuck $571.00, they said I need a new alternator and want $1348.00, Missfire fault for 1 ignition coil $369.00, mechatronic sleeve leak $830.00, valve cover and gasket leaks $2800.00, they loan me a 2014 428i and I am seriously considering trading my 645ci in for a new 4 series since I only owe 10k on my sixer. What should I do? Is the dealer charging me a reasonable amount for the repairs? Should I go to am indy?
Ads by Google
Old 04-09-2014, 06:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jr. View Post
hello team, I need help, I just got a laundry list of items that the dealer is telling me I need to fix on my 2004 645ci with 80k miles, theysaid my thermostat is stuck $571.00, they said I need a new alternator and want $1348.00, Missfire fault for 1 ignition coil $369.00, mechatronic sleeve leak $830.00, valve cover and gasket leaks $2800.00, they loan me a 2014 428i and I am seriously considering trading my 645ci in for a new 4 series since I only owe 10k on my sixer. What should I do? Is the dealer charging me a reasonable amount for the repairs? Should I go to am indy?
Thermostat is 75.00 & a 30 minute job
New Alternator is 300.00 on Ebay OEM & a 2 hour job
Coil is around 80.00 & a 10 minute job
Mechatronic seal, pan, filter, fluid is 280.00 & a 2 hour job.
Valve cover gasket are 120.00 for both, & 8 to 12 hour job.

Sounds like you will be owing them money to take your car at the current condition? Sounds like you need to check on the repairs with an Indy.

Good Luck!
Old 04-09-2014, 07:26 PM

Actually the sales manager said that my 6er would be sold as is @ at an auction so the condition is irrelevant to the dealer, they are offering 13k for my 6er, on the flip side I found the valeo alternator for $200.00 on ebay and the thermostat for $50.00 , I am going to start with those 2 repairs and then the ignition coil, thanks for your help all
Old 04-09-2014, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci convertible
If you're going to do the thermostat, which isn't difficult, you should also replace the expansion tank. It's not expensive and easy to do. And before replacing the coil, move the coil and see if the problem follows. If it is a bad coil, you might want to do them all and the spark plugs at the same time.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:35 PM

Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jr. View Post
Should I go to am indy?
Yes, you should get at least one indy quote.

Travel Photos

Join BMW CCA
Old 04-09-2014, 10:36 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
What did you take it in for? Not likely all these items have to be done right away, some may be BS. Pretty much standard practice for a dealer to do a "courtesy safety inspection" on out of warranty car, then come back with a laundry list of stuff in an attempt to boost service dept revenue or send owner to the showroom.
Happened to my partner with his MINI that went in for an O2 sensor replacement covered under a SIB. They came back with tons of stuff, some was expected (worn LCA bushings), some totally false (coolant leak and brakes). Several years later the car is still with us and running great. If I were you I would either validate those items myself if I had the proper knowledge or take it to a trusted independent for second opinion and priority list. A good independent is worth gold on out of warranty cars.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 04-09-2014, 11:04 PM

Thanks fredoinSf for the advice, I took my 6er in due to an increased emissions message, check engine light and a speedometer malfunction message, I actually just purchased most of the items I need from autozone.com and I think I got a great deal, I ordered a Duralast alternator, 8 NGK laser double platinum spark plugs since it wont be more in labor because of the ignition coil labor, duralast ignition coil all for $353.72 out the door, now I just have to find a trust worthy indi in my area to get the work started, what do you guys think about the deal? Oh and I went in store for the thermostat which was $70.00
Old 04-18-2014, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto:
Is everybody OK with this list of replacement parts? I recall Mike Miller stating that platinum plugs can be problematic in BMWs.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app