BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Looking at 2011 X5s

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  AutoUnion 
#1 ·
Should I stretch my budget for a 2012? Are there any major issues with latter year E70s? Finaly does the Cold Weather Package also have heated rear seats?

TIA :)

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. How do you like your X5?

#4 ·
My 2011 X5M is dramatically better than my wife's 2008 4.8. Far better ride and iDrive that doesn't make you want to scream (the old system is unbelievably bad). I also don't like the overly aggressive non-linear steering response on the 2008 w/ active suspension and the touchy throttle. Nicer leather dash and slightly better seats, but otherwise pretty much the same vehicle.

The biggest problem - now she is contemplating something new after seeing the difference

Stick to low miles - these things get expensive fast with repairs

#8 ·
Im rusty, but my 2010 and 2012 also included rear seat heaters with CWP.

Didnt the CWP change? Early on it was front and reat seat heaters with CWP...then later front seats became a standard option on some package, and CWP was just steering wheel and rear seats....no?

Funny how when you are buying you know all this stuff, then a year later it has all be replaced with useless factoids on you current interests....

:thumbup:

#6 ·
Bump..I'm also looking for a 2011 X5, preferably the 35D diesel. I'm in Phoenix AZ but will stretch to about 500 miles for the right deal. PM me if you are selling or have any buyer recommendations. Thanks!

#7 ·
@ Jeremy - If you have not already done so you might want to check out the Diesel Enthusiast forum under Best of Bimmerfest. The X5d seems to have a couple of EGR valve problems reported, but not as many carbon deposit issues as with the 335d. Based on your sig, you're a seasoned BMW owner so you can probably understand it's not a BMW if it does not have any potential weak spots.
I bought my 2012 X5d back in May. I only put 4k miles on it so far this summer because I am mostly driving the 6 and the 3 from SF to Tahoe weekly trips, but the X5 will see winter duty starting in October / November once the snow starts flying. Just found a set of practically new wheels with winter tires that I am hoping to pick up this weekend!
The diesel does great at higher elevations and is really comfortable on the highway. I had a Jeep GC (unreliable, head gasket failure was straw that broke this camel's back) followed by a MINI Countryman All4 (did not enjoy at all, traded after 18 months). I considered a new Jeep GC with either V6 gas or diesel, but the diesel was not available yet and the bad Jeep memories were still too fresh. No regrets on the X5 so far. It's not a sports car, but I love it for what it is and does.

Good luck with your search.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.