BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bluetooth Audio not Working on iPhone4s and iPhone 5

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  zznalg 
#1 ·
I am unable to get any Bluetooth audio working in my new 2014 X1, when my iPhone 4s or iPhone 5 are paired. Both units have iOs 7.0.3 installed, and I've paired them using the instruction in the manual and the online video.

The icons for phone and music connectivity are both lit, and the phones work properly, but no sound on either when I try to use Pandora, Apple Online music, or my MP3s stored in the phones.

I've searched the forums for a fix, but cannot find anything other than what I've attempted already.

Any suggestions ???

Thanks!

ED M

#2 ·
I have the 4s and Bluetooth works fine.

Are you plugging in the iPhone into the USB while using Bluetooth? The peculiar thing is if I ever plug it into the USB in the center console, it will deactivate the music streaming because iDrive expects sound to go through the cable. You will need the y-cable for iPhone if you want the sound to work while plugged into the USB. I have to reactivate the music streaming on idrive manually each time.

So now when I plug the phone I use a USB adaptor in the 9v power source instead of using the USB in the center console. Hope that helps.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#6 ·
Bluetooth Streaming Audio Issue - Solved !

I finally figured this out...
Don't know how I missed it....

It's not enough to select Bluetooth Audio in the CD and Multimedia section of iDrive.
You must also select Bluetooth Audio as an External Device for it to be audible...

Working well, enjoying the music !

#7 ·
I finally figured this out...
Don't know how I missed it....

It's not enough to select Bluetooth Audio in the CD and Multimedia section of iDrive.
You must also select Bluetooth Audio as an External Device for it to be audible...

Working well, enjoying the music !
I have the same problem on a 5S. In which section of iDrive can you "select Bluetooth Audio as an External Device".

#8 ·
In the iDrive screen where you have the option to choose CD/MultiMedia, choose Cd/Multimedia. Th next screen displayed should list Bluetooth Audio and External Devices as choices. Choose External Devices, and the next screen will allow you to choose your 5s...
The manual doesn't describe this well;

1. Your phone should be paired for Telephone and Bluetooth audio.
2. The Bluetooth checkbox for phone and Audio should be checked.
3. When you view the paired 5S, both the phone and music (a muscial note) icons should be lit.
4. The 5s has to be selected under External Devices ...

Good Luck !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.