BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Replacement matte black kidney grilles

7K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  tssalgado 
#1 ·
Have any of you changed over to matte black kidney grilles for your X1's yet? If yes, can anyone tell me which brand or manufacturer you are using and maybe where you picked it up? I don't mind spending a few bucks for quality, well made grilles, but I don't want to spend $300 either.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I got mine at bmwpartspros.com. The slats are matte black, but the rings are gloss black. I tried to post a link to the individual parts, but it won't let me. So click on the link above, then click on the BMW Accessories tab at the upper right and search by part number.

51-71-2-297-585 TRIM GRILL LEFT, BLK
51-71-2-297-586 TRIM GRILL RIGHT, BLK

If you have questions or need help, contact Jon (jon@bmwpartspros.com).

#6 ·
I did it myself and it's not a lot of fun. The link below helped a little, but I still had to figure out a few things for myself. It helps to have long, narrow forearms, strong thumbs, and a LOT of patience. Once you get the first grille out, the second is much easier. (Don't install the first until you remove the second.) It's a good thing I am pleased with the look, because I have no intention of switching them back.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531294

#14 ·
I didn't remove ANY screws at all. On another thread or site even, we used a radiator tool and a lighted mirror to slip in between the fins of the old grille to push down on the clips. I had a wonderful member help me on a beautiful warm day this past spring. Done in less than 45 minutes both sides!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.