BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Seats - sport seat worth it?

11K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  vic 
#1 ·
My local dealer in Northern California is just getting some X1's in - having test-drove the 4-banger rear wheel drive I'm now narrowing down options - Sport Line is one of the options, and I understand they use the same 'sport' seats (code 481) as found in either the 1 or 3 series. I'm 6'-2" and 200 lb.s - wondering about the seats. Plan to stop in Thursday to butt-test the seats in a sedan - any comments out there?

#2 ·
Seats are a tough decision.. We had a C300 loaner and the seats were very comfortable. This was followed by a 528ii loaner for four days and I found the seats to be uncomfortable after two hours of driving. The 528i was not a great car until pushed through turns etc and it was like on rails with great acceleration and braking and steering when pushed.. Still it did not have the seat of the pants kind of feel of my e36. My daughter drove the 528i and stated she was glad to return to her 525iT e39 5 speed

I think the F30 sport with manuel is the sweet spot choice of current BMW offerings although the X3 may win out on utility. Just hard to find time to driver every combination of sport w/wo m adaptive etc.

#6 ·
I love the sport seats, they are really bolstered and very comfortable, although the longest drive we've taken so far is about an hour... be careful though, don't assume that just because they're sport seats they're power, because ours aren't...

#7 ·
I have sport seats in my E92 and love them, but when I ordered my X1, I chose not to get them.

I tend to agree with kosmo that the sport seats are much better for the twisties and the regular seats are better for long distances, but the difference in highway comfort is minimal. Sport seats are still good on long distances.

Overall, I prefer the sport seats, but due to limitations in optioning, I did not get them this time. My preference would have been to get an M Sport, but I was concerned about the stiffer suspension on the bad roads where I live. I didn't want the Sport Line basically because I just can't stand either of the trim options (aluminum or black gloss). Had there been a wood option for the Sport Line, I certainly would have gotten it. Realizing that my usage wouldn't include a lot of sporty driving, I decided the regular seats would be fine for me.

If I were you, living in California, I would go for the M Sport and enjoy the much better handling characteristics, sport seat comfort, and IMO, better styling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.