BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Which 535i to go with?

4K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  afscotch 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I've been browsing forums, I'm in the market for a 2008/9 535i. I've seen and drove a couple of them, but have a hard time making a decision, and hopefully you guys can chime in. I plan to tune (JB4) once I get the car to start off with. The deliema I have is that some 535's have navi and some don't. How well is the navi integrated into the car? Some have a sport button, how often do you guys use the sport mode, especially with those with JB4. (I heard JB4 will override it). Its hard to think of a premium car without navi, auto-dim mirrors... I want a 535 with all the bells and whistles including paddle shifters..anywho. Thanks for the feedback in advance.

#3 ·
You need to look for a 535i Sport with navigation.
It comes with a better suspension and awesome seats.
Paddles are not necessary, I almost never use mine.
There's a sport setting on the auto transmission for both the Sport and Standard version. It engages turbos quicker, holds revs longer, and stays in a lower gear to give a more aggressive driving mode. This does not change with JB4, but JB4 adds a lot more hp and torque which then makes the D position plenty powerful and responsive.
On the standard 535 you flip the gear selector to the left to engage sport mode, same with the 535 Sport, but it also has paddles and a sport button behind the gear selector.

When you order the JB4, get the G5 ISO version. It has isolated boost control which makes for a more linear power curve with more torque in the low and mid range. Every new owner who installs JB4 have the same comment: Why on earth didn't BMW sell the car like this? It now feels like a real performance sedan!

#5 ·
#6 ·
As Oceans said, the sport package is a must have if only for the seats.

Another nice to have feature is the Heads Up Display (HUD), especially if you use Nav often. The HUD shows the next turn (an arrow, street name, and distance until you reach it) which I much prefer over an annoying voice telling me when to turn or taking my eyes off the road to look at the Nav screen.

Other options to think about -- fold down rear seats (makes it possible to carry large/long objects), rear sunshades (good for long Summer trips with kids), ski pass thru & bag, heated steering wheel (what an awesome feature!), Logic 7 stereo (wish I had that), parking sensors.

#8 ·
There are two "sport options": Sport Package (suspension, seats, wheels) and Sport Auto Trans (sport button, shift paddles). You really want the Sport Package, SAT on the other hand is fun at times but most don't consider it a must have.

#9 ·
Sport mandatory. NAV from 2008 disappointing - but if you have to have it...

#13 ·
Sport package MANDATORY. JB4 is an EXCELLENT idea. The combination will make you smile every day. And I've been smiling every day with that combo (well JB3, then JB4) since I bought it 3 1/2 years ago.

#19 · (Edited)
I just went through buying one. Easy way to spot a sport package is shadow line trim, no chrome around doors/windows. There are a LOT of lemons out there. Do not buy one. Dealers value these on trade at like 15 grand or less. You will never be able to sell these unless you want to keep forever. Get a car first that is accident free and no paint work. Then get the options you want. I got a 2008 sport, NAV, comfort access, logic 7, premium package, cold weather package, split fold rear seats. I wanted all and I think all are great. I would have liked iPod connection kit, sport auto trans and m sport. M sport is harder to find and people usually ask a premium for them. Also, a 2010 has the new NAV, as the main benefit besides being newer. All comes down to how much you want to spend. I think NAV is a must have as many people will not be interested in a buying a luxury car without it.

#15 ·
Find out what the issue was. Often it is due to multiple HPFPs being replaced. You don't want to inherit a problem that was never totally fixed. Sometimes BMW solves the problem but are obliged to do the buy back because the owner is fed up with a lengthy repair process. That could be a very good deal for the next owner, and CPO should give some protection.

#17 ·
You will love the car. Personally I say screw the sport package and go straight for the m-sport package. Makes the car look super aggressive. Just remember you are not buying a Honda or a Toyota no matter what BMW you buy you are eventually going to have to fix something. They are high performance cars. Just remember one thing in the long run cheaper is always more expensive. Do yourself a favor and get a CPO.

2010 535i M-Sport Carbon Black
White halos 6000k / xenon fog lights / LED license plate lights / 18% tint
Dinan free flow exhaust - ordered
Dinan stage 2 software - getting soon

#20 ·
Personally, I believe in

getting one that's really well loaded up with options. However, 9/10 of the E60's I found were not well optioned.
Here's my list
(1) Navi (yes I have it on my smart phone, but I still use the BMW navi as well and like having the maps)
(2) Premium package: no matter what they say, plastic is not as nice as leather
(3a) Sport AWD: this one has a caveat. On an "xi" the only reason to get sport is to get the better seats. I'd skip it if the car has the comfort seat option. The difference between regular and comfort seats is substantial.
(3b) Sport RWD: The 18" rims don't mean much to me when the ride is still more Buick than Bavarian. But, for a RWD, sport really is a traditional BMW sport package (handling improvement).
(4) Folding rear seats: I think I use this feature at least once every couple of weeks.
(5) Cold weather package (mandatory if you have real winters)
(6) Logic 7 HK system: stock system is pretty bad. HK system is tolerable when in L7 mode (excusing the weird things it does on talk radio)

The price difference of E60's with and without these features seems to be about $1500, which seems like a great value to me.

And,
(8) extended warranty. Starting with my E39, these BMW's have had simply atrocious reliability. They're even below Mercedes IMHO, and Mercedes is already bad. I'd even go so far as say they're now down in Audi territory.

John

#21 ·
2008 550i M Sport Option Codes

dev1983, not trying to hijack your thread. Thought you might like to know the answer to these questions too.

Can someone please illuminate me on a few options?

I'm looking at 2 fairly identical 2008 550i M Sports. Both have the P7MPA Sports Package, S704A M Sports suspension, and S715A M Aerodynamics package.

The only difference is that one transmission is the S2TBA Sport automatic gearbox and the other is the S205A Automatic transmission. Is S2TBA simply the same transmission with the paddle shifter option?

Also, both cars advertise as having Logic7, but neither has an Option Code that identifies the sound system as "Logic7". One has S676A "HiFi speaker system" and the other has S677A "HiFi System Professional DSP". What's the code for Logic7?

Also, what does the S823A Hot-climate version give one?

Lastly, is the automatic transmission in the 2008 550i the same as the 535i?

Thanks,

Lew

#22 ·
DSP is code for L7. Professional is the basic sound system.

Hot climate simply means it is programmed to send more cold air through the center vents. It's a software setting.

Auto tranny is same on both 535 and 550. I rarely use my paddles, not that big a deal when you have strong power flowing. Pedal does the work.

#24 ·
Yes, but just set it in the climate control menu in iDrive. Same result.

#25 ·
I'm more interested the sport models with the button and paddle shifters, so in sport model with out the sport button, how would you put the car into sport mode? just by sliding the gear select to the left? Is it the same sport mode? I test drove a few with the sport button, and man it makes a difference.

#30 ·
The SAT is a very nice package. $500 sticker addon, but it sure does add onto the resell value.

The transmission in both Automatic and Sport Automatic are the same, however the programming is completely different.

The SAT also adds Chassis Dynamics when you hit that little button, decreases steering resistance, and feels more "precise" it also stiffens the chassis by stiffening the Anti-Roll system, as well as changes throttle mapping. When you hit the sport button, it also blips the throttle when you are downshifting, and shifts are MUCH MUCH faster and also "harder", feels like a SMG almost!

So essentially, the regular automatic has no paddles, and the SAT has paddles. The retrofit just for the paddles is nearly $500 due to the cost of the steering wheel and the wiring involved, the additional console button, different mappings is just the cherry on top in my opinion!

Try it out for yourself, leave the car in Auto, but hit the console sport, then compare it to Sport on the gear selector, but without the console sport enabled. Very different!

#26 ·
Dude, sport button is a wake up call for the bmw. But my gas goes down quick because my toes tends to stretch further. Anyhow, I tend to use my navi on my Samsung s3 rather than the ones in both of my vehicle. Why? Fast address and map loading and better graphic. By the time I finish entering the address with the idrive i could be half way to my destination with my phone. Speaking local that is.

#32 · (Edited)
Recommend you open your search up to 2010, too. I was like you at first, looking at 09 and maybe 08's b/c I figured they'd be less $$ but 2010 was the last year of the model year and they had a lot of discounts put into options to sell the last year (you'll see a "value" package on the 2010's). I got my 2010 for only a few bucks more than the 09 I was considering and the 10 had another year of warranty remaining and year less of mileage. Plus BMW had another year to trying and get the injector thing figured out. Someone made the comment the 10's had less options...I don't agree. I was able to get everything I wanted (Sport, sport trans, nav, sat, heated front, premium, park assist). Smoker's package put the power adapter in the front and the back instead of cig lighters. I got comfort access and it was on my 'nice to have' list but don't think I'll be able to buy another car without it (or something that does the same thing). Only thing I would have liked to get and didn't was the fold down (or ski pass through) rear seat but I wasn't pass on the deal I was getting just for that option (plus I have a Jeep for that kind of stuff).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.