BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Lost compression in cylinders 2 & 6. Need Help Fast

2K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Fast Bob 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently created a new thread saying that there was something with the intake adjuster box from what one of the local mechanics told me. I didn't really like that answer and many people have never even heard it, so I went to the BMW service center and got it checked. So,for those that have read my other thread, please disregard the old one. For those that need a quick background of what was happening.. the engine was shuttering just when the car was turned on, I still drove on it for a little bit, but it worked just was very rough and it was hard to get acceleration. After diagnosing, the problem is now that the 2 and 6 EDIT: "cylinders" are losing or have lost compression. The mechanic at BMW has told me its an internal engine problem and will cost $1700 just to take apart the engine. He believes there are 3 causes. 1, I may have got water in the engine from a large puddles, and I have not been in any of those. 2, Over rev'd engine, which I don't know if that could be it but I can see myself doing that. The night I got I got trouble I was in 4th gear, pretty fast not to bad (manual) and I dropped it into 1st gear It rev'd very hard too and I immediately hit the clutch to ease it. If you dropped it from 4th to 1st, are the 2 and 6 valves supposed to lose compression, is this a normal side effect of being an A-hole like myself? But it was fine driving the rest of the way until I got into my parking lot at home, then it stalled and I restarted it and parked it then restarted it again and it was shaking around. 3, It could be a BMW problem and the extended factory warranty would pay for it then. Things to keep in mind. 2001 BMW 330 CI, 59k miles ....
I would like it to be a factory problem so BMW pays for it.. or if its water damage, At least have insurance take care of it, but if its my fault then I pay correct? and last since$1700 is not chump change, just to take it apart, and not fix whatevers wrong.
So has anyone any experience with it, and what would you do ?

See less See more
#2 ·
Valves don't lose compression. Cylinders lose compression; and one of the causes could be bent valves. Sounds like you have no compression in cyls 2 and 6 which could lead to very rough running.

Sounds like you already know what happened to cause this. Get out your checkbook, this is probably not going to be cheap to fix. At a minimum, the head has to come off to diagnose it.

#18 ·
It hardly destroys your car - $1000 later and you're good as new.

One little mistake on the highway can send you into a bridge abutment and kill you. $1000 is minor in comparison...
Just out of curiosity, How do you think it will only cost me $1000? just to take apart the engine alone is $1700.. I'm not good at estimating mechanic work so please tell me how I can even get close to 2-3k in expenses and I'll do it.

#22 ·
Just out of curiosity, How do you think it will only cost me $1000? just to take apart the engine alone is $1700.. I'm not good at estimating mechanic work so please tell me how I can even get close to 2-3k in expenses and I'll do it.
$1700 represents around 17 hours labor from an average dealer, or 20-21 hrs. from an indy.... an "A" mechanic can get a *lot* done in that amount of time, a good tech can do a teardown in 4 or 5 hours, tops. But that`s the only way to determine exactly what needs to be done, and move forward from that point.... good luck, I hope the damage is minimal.

Regards,
Bob

#14 ·
I agree with Scott .... I`d say there`s about a 99% chance you bent the valves. I hope you learn from your mistakes....

Regards,
Bob

#16 ·
Scott I guess everyones not a SuperHero at driving stick like you, I'm sure you RIDE more STICK then just your car too. I guess its funny that its going to cost me a couple thousand to fix my car. If you have nothing worth contributing, don't post. I don't need your Bull Sh*t.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.