BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Diff Again

616 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Groatsy 
#1 ·
Hi All,

As mentioned in a previous post I have diff oil leaking. I'm pretty sure ive lost less than half a litre in total... will this be causing a lot of damage?! im toying between driving it to the BMW garage myself or getting it loaded on a truck. Does anyone have any idea of the sort of labour time or cost involved with investigating this kind of diff leak? From what i understand the leak could just be down to a bad seal, does anyone have any opinions on what can cause these diffs to leak?

Thanks! :eeps:

#2 ·
I wouldn't drive it with that much fluid gone.. It might be OK, but it might not.

As you know, I mentioned that my diff leaked and it was a warranty repair. If this happened now, out of warranty, I'd simply buy the $1 gasket and some new bolts. Looks to be a very easy repair - with the rear wheels on ramps, remove bolts surrounding the diff cover, pull off, install new gasket, bolt back on...

I can't see it being more than an hour of labor at a competent mechanic.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BD52&mospid=47620&btnr=33_1034&hg=33&fg=10&hl=68

#3 ·
It holds 1.1 liters

If you lost half a liter that's a lot. If the drive is short you will be fine. If the distance to the shop is long then simply buy a liter of diff fluid and fill it up before you drive to the shop. Wouldn't worry about getting any particular kind as they will be draining it anyway. Much cheaper then towing. Only trick is the ability to pour the fluid uphill (you need to pump in it). In worst case you can use a turkey baster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.