BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Surprise Z4 itinerary (late June) - suggestions?

10K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  soheilk 
#1 · (Edited)
*** I will keep updating this post and itinerary as I get your awesome feedback ***

Hey everyone,

Picking up my wife's Z4 at the end of the June and have just started to work on the itinerary. This is a surprise to her. We've been talking of buying a car for her and I went ahead and ordered this Z4 for her as we always loved having a convertible before having kids. She doesn't have the slightest clue about this. She just knows that we are going to Europe for "vacation". We are in our mid 20s and no kids (yet :) ), so just the two of us. This is our first BMW, first Europe trip together and after a long and stressful year of my wife starting grad school, me changing jobs, moving in to a new apartment so really want to enjoy every second of this trip together (who doesn't?!) and most important of all show her that I love her to the Europe and back :rofl:

Have a general plan in my mind, but haven't figured out the details (roads, stops, hotels, etc.) yet. Flying in to Munich and flying out of Paris just because I absolutely want to get this shot with the Eiffel Tower (credit @GOFASTR, sorry for hijacking your idea):

I might however decide to drop the car at CDG after taking the shot and use public transportation for the last two days there (any suggestions/comments?)

Don't want to pack too many things into the trip as we only have 11 nights/12 days. Want mostly scenic drives and locations and don't mind if we don't see any "tourist" places. But would love if we can cover these places (please tell me if aiming for too much):

Munich - 2 nights
Salzburg - 2 nights
Venice - 2 nights
Lake Como - 3 nights
Paris - 2 nights

Reasons:
Munich: pick up our new baby
Salzburg: wife really LOVES Sound of Music and I figured it would be perfect to be there during the 50th anniversary
Venice: it's Venice, duh?!
Lake Como: have read about its beauty multiple times in the forums
Paris: solely for the Eiffel Tower shot

Itinerary:
I know it is empty. I just started working on this and although would LOVE to hear your suggestions I definitely don't expect you guys to plan the trip for me. I will fill this as I do my research and then ask for your suggestions. Everything with "scenic drive" or "nice rest stop" are just place holders for now. Here is what I have so far:
Day 1 (Fri): arrive at MUC 5pm, go to hotel, go out a little
Day 2 (Sat): Munich sightseeing in the morning, head to Welt for lunch and museum tour (factory tour is closed on Saturdays) around noon, pick up the car at 4:40pm, need suggestions for a short afternoon drive to somewhere
Day 3 (Sun): leave Munich early for Neuschwanstein for the official shot, scenic drive, be at Salzburg in the afternoon
Day 4 (Mon): Salzburg sightseeing (preferably should include Sound of Music sights)
Day 5 (Tue): leave Salzburg, scenic drive, nice rest stop, scenic drive, arrive at Venice in the afternoon, park the car in a secured parking out of the city (? this was suggested in multiple posts) and head to the hotel
Day 6 (Wed): Venice sightseeing
Day 7 (Thu): leave Venice, scenic drive, nice rest stop, scenic drive, arrive at Lake Como in the afternoon
Day 8 (Fri): Lake Como/Milan sightseeing
Day 9 (Sat): Lake Como/Milan sightseeing
Day10(Sun): leave Lake Como, scenic drive, nice rest stop, scenic drive, arrive at Paris in the afternoon, take the dream shot with the Eiffel tower (if possible), wash the car and drop it off at CDG, go to hotel
Day11(Mon): Paris sightseeing
Day12(Tue): fly back home :cry::cry::cry:

I will write my questions in the next post to keep this one only for updating the itinerary.

See less See more
#2 ·
Questions...

Questions I have for you guys:

1) Don't know whether to spend the 3 nights at Lake Como or in Venice?
2) For hotel in Munich, I was planning on staying around Marienplatz but then received the Welcome Package and saw the King's hotel offer (which seems to be a favorite choice among many festers) near Englischer Garten. Based on my readings so far, there is not any activity like Marienplatz near Englischer Garten but it's only a 15min train ride. Where do you recommend us to stay? I am thinking of staying at King's and going to Marienplatz on Friday night for dinner and sightseeing. This way I think we can visit the Garten on Saturday morning before delivery and maybe go back to Marienplatz again if we really want on Saturday afternoon. How does this sound? I don't have any particular reason for seeing the Garten other than it being close to the hotel that I'm considering of staying so I'm open to any other recommendations.
3) I realize dropping the car might not be possible on Day10 afternoon considering the long drive from Como to Paris, in this case will drop it off Day11 early morning. What do you think?

Open to any advice/suggestion/tips and BIG thanks in advance :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.