BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Why did you choose the gt?

9K views 43 replies 14 participants last post by  EDYTHE 
#1 ·
Hello - just found about the GT !! been considering an '11 535/550 sedan and now i am confused as to why wouldn't want a GT instead!!!

One of the reason I ask is that GM's CTS-wagon isn't as big a seller in my area as is the sedan ... it's the same car - why not take advantage of having a wagon and same equipment as a sedan ? .....is this the same 'logic' one could take with the GT ?
....any input would be so appreciated !!! :confused:

#2 ·
The GT is closer to the 7-series than a 5-series sedan; it has the interior room of the normal wheel-base 7-series. So, it is larger, sits a bit higher, and has more headroom than any of the BMW's, if that's an issue (it was with me!). The hatchback is handy, too.

#3 ·
I all but had the wife talked into the CTS-V wagon, but the interior is just too small all around. Once my wife drove the GT, it was all over with.

Rear seat legroom and overall cabin space over the 5 series sedan, made the GT an easy pick for us.

#5 ·
I all but had the wife talked into the CTS-V wagon, but the interior is just too small all around. Once my wife drove the GT, it was all over with.

Rear seat legroom and overall cabin space over the 5 series sedan, made the GT an easy pick for us.
----------------------------------------
you're right about the space in the CTS - we disliked the seats also ....did you notice any appreciable difference in the CTS's seats vs. GT's ? if i'm not wrong the GT's are 20=way; the CTS onl 8-way. enjoy your car and thanks for your input !

#6 ·
Hello - just found about the GT !! been considering an '11 535/550 sedan and now i am confused as to why wouldn't want a GT instead!!!

One of the reason I ask is that GM's CTS-wagon isn't as big a seller in my area as is the sedan ... it's the same car - why not take advantage of having a wagon and same equipment as a sedan ? .....is this the same 'logic' one could take with the GT ?
....any input would be so appreciated !!! :confused:
Hi EDYTHE. Most of the folks on this forum will agree with you - who wouldn't want a GT??!

As you pointed out, price may be a factor - the GT is more expensive than a sedan. Others claim they don't like the looks of the GT. Others say it feels too big (since it's on a 7-series base). Others are just happy-as-clams with the function of a sedan.

Cars are such a personal thing - you have to know what you want out of a car. For me, the roominess, the cargo capacity, the sportiness, the handling, the luxurious fit & finish, etc. presented a perfect blend for me. Personally, I wouldn't want a sedan.

As far as the looks, I opted for the MSport package because to my eye, the beefier front grill & added styling help to visually balance the size of the hatch. Mine is a lighter color too, which (again to my eye) helps to break up the rear bumper. I've attached photos.

Attachments

#10 ·
-----------------------------
wonderful information and help! you're so correct about cars being a personal 'like/dislike'
your car is just gorgeous !!! DH viewed the px you posted and was duly impressed !!!!
But because we're 'seniors' he's curious and he is wondering if the GT is more to the liking of ''the younger-set''- LOL ? or if one is 'more mature in age' one could have the GT for 'utility' purposes and a sedan that is a 'traditional-looking' BMW with it's classic-lines?
While we'd want is one that could serve two purposes ( utility and convenience of the extra 'storeage space) he's still wants a BMW that first is as lovely-looking and viewed as a 'luxury-sedan' .. ...then again perhaps one can't expect 'both' issues solve in one vehicle ...But yours is truely gorgeous! ...obviously we have to view the GT & sedan side by side which we plan on doing
....thanks again !!

#7 ·
Hi, Edythe! These lovely folks in this forum have helped me make the final decision to purchase a 535i xDrive GT. For me it's the value...just seems as though I'll be getting more car for the $$$, considering that with my preferred options, this car is priced at same level as the 5-series sedan. And (this is the female in me) the color selections are so much better! LOL

#11 ·
------------------------------------------

hi ! do totally understand your decision on colors from the ''female' point of view - LOL ...thanks so much for your imput - will you be posting your car ? what color 'did' you get !!! enjoy - and thanks ! edythe

#8 · (Edited)
I think the main difference to the buyer's eye is that the GT (compared to the 5) tends to be more expensive (about $5-8K more than a comparable equipped sedan), the interior is more spacious (it is based off the 7, not the 5) and the looks -- you either love it or hate it. or maybe you feel neutral. the point is, the sedan people think it looks ugly. the GT lovers think it's awesome. Personally when I think "sexy car", I think of my convertible. But when I think of "luxurious car that can be very sporty and carry lots of stuff very comfortably", then I think of the wife's GT.

The wife's previous car was the E66 750Li. She absolutely loved it. She wanted something that was just as luxurious and comfortable, but a little better gas mileage (turns out she's getting almost the same -- mostly her driving style), so she went with the GT. To her, the 5 was very nice, but the GT really reminded her of her 7 (spacious, comfortable, etc).

edit: I should add that in 2011, the GT was more expensive than the 5. Now with the ZVP (value package) they may be very similar in cost. For us, the extra cost was worth it. She's had her GT for 9 months or so -- she's around 16K miles now.

#12 ·
I think the main difference to the buyer's eye is that the GT (compared to the 5) tends to be more expensive (about $5-8K more than a comparable equipped sedan), the interior is more spacious (it is based off the 7, not the 5) and the looks -- you either love it or hate it. or maybe you feel neutral. the point is, the sedan people think it looks ugly. the GT lovers think it's awesome. Personally when I think "sexy car", I think of my convertible. But when I think of "luxurious car that can be very sporty and carry lots of stuff very comfortably", then I think of the wife's GT.

The wife's previous car was the E66 750Li. She absolutely loved it. She wanted something that was just as luxurious and comfortable, but a little better gas mileage (turns out she's getting almost the same -- mostly her driving style), so she went with the GT. To her, the 5 was very nice, but the GT really reminded her of her 7 (spacious, comfortable, etc).

edit: I should add that in 2011, the GT was more expensive than the 5. Now with the ZVP (value package) they may be very similar in cost. For us, the extra cost was worth it. She's had her GT for 9 months or so -- she's around 16K miles now.
-----------------------
thanks so much for the above information !!! we haven't seen the GT in person so i guess that's the first step but knowing the comps to the '7' and space it's surely worth considering !!! enjoy ! edythe

#9 ·
Why did I buy my 5gt? Simple. Price. Dealer was discounting my 550i GT $14k off sticker, and offered me $2k more for my trade-in. (Plus, no nearby Land Rover dealer had a Sport S/C in the color I wanted.)
But, be forewarned. The rate of depreciation on any 5GT is atrocious. Do not buy this vehicle under the impression of it being a value (or good buy) - its not. A 5-series sedan holds its residual values much more.
That being said, used 5GTs are an extremely smart buy. If buying/leasing new, you should be getting it at or below invoice.
Good luck with your buy. And welcome to the 5GT family.

#13 ·
------------------------------------
wow this was important information about resale...it would not be a resale for us since it probably be our 'last' vehicle purchase - LOL ..however it's still good to be advised about the value-depreciation compared to the 535/550 !!! thanks for the purchase $ advices also !
Enjoy yours and many thanks for your time !!!! :thumbup:

#26 · (Edited)
He speaks the truth :thumbup::thumbup: Excellent car, I recommend it, and would get another one, although I was one of the early takers (12/09) and paid full MSRP. The only reason I pulled out/sold it is because i didn't want to loose all of the positive equity in the car. The early F12's are bricking in resale as well :tsk:

#18 · (Edited)
I took delivery of my 2012 in November. Held out as long as I could to try and getter better residuals, etc... But it turned out I got the highest residual and best incentives by locking in my deal in September. In general, if leasing, December is the best month to get a car. The residual values are never better and manufacturers tend to roll out incentives to pump up their yearly numbers. So I believe that the 2013's sweet spot in incentives and residual values (if leasing) will be October to December. Just my two cents. I lease a new BMW every 3 years since 1999.

PS With the horrible resale value of GTs (according to some posters), I'd lease rather than purchase one. Then at the end of the lease if you still want the car you can negotiate and pay fair market value. You should save more than if you financed for 5 years.

#19 ·
-------------------------------------------
i can't apply (i' would assume) 'leasing' procedures to outright buying procedures ..
Anyway it's interesting about the sad resales of the GT's...but leasing makes sense ...just in case'' !! great idea ! thanks again so much for all you time and details ! best regards - Edythe
ps ...i'll be away from the computer for a few days...if i don't reply, it's not out of rudness ! :angel:

#21 ·
-------------------------
didn't realize that ....i thought once past a certain 'mature' (ahem!) age that wouldn't be an option for us *from a dealer's end of the transaction.)

Never have done a lease ...i suppose it means weighing the 'financial' positives/negatives of outright ownership- depreciation (incl. but not limited to possible dissatisfaction after-the-fact) vs. lease-costs and any other 'grief' we are ignorent of) but then on the 'positive' side is the fact that one is not 'velcroed' for life to a vehicle .
Interesting idea !! thanks ! Edythe
PS -won't be using the computer for a few days - replies will be delayed....thanks

#22 ·
Edythe ~ I'm a "senior", too...a very young 62 who has been driving 328xi Sport Wagons for 6 years (2007 & 2010). Time for an upgrade, and I was set on the 535i xDrive sedan until I found this forum and started comparing prices. Frankly, I find the colors on the 5-series sedan to be boring, which was another reason to look more closely at the GT and its upgraded color options. Yes, I know this is such a girlie thing, but so what?! Anyway, I have decided on the Orion Silver with Venetian Beige Dakota leather. Sticking with the 535i xDrive GT.

#25 ·
------------------------
Hi - your car sounds gorgeous !!! and nothing 'wrong' with a 'color-preference' !! if this weren't important to people, cars would be available in any shade you want ....as long as it's black ! LOL (not 'my' quote)... post some px when you get it :thumbup: =- regards - edythe

#23 · (Edited)
The lease rates and residuals for the GT were incredible in the fall of 2011. The 550GT actually leased out better since it had a higher residual. The residual came from BMW as far as I know and many people took advantage of it.

Then in 2012, the 750i Active Hybrid had awesome residuals.

Look for some of my posts to see exchanges with others on the fall residual rates. I think it was 62% for a 3 year lease with 45,000 total miles. Then you buy down the lease rate by doing multiple security deposits. For me the net was paying abouf 27K to rent the car for 3 years assuming I don't go over mileage and then it is BMW's problem again.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570132&highlight=

and find a lease calculator to find out what you are paying.

#24 ·
Sound advice, Wardman. Much appreciated. Will compare residuals/lease payments before making decision. I am buying out lease on 2010 Sport Wagon. I expected higher mileage than I've put on it, so instead of 63k miles my company paid on the lease, I've driven less than 40k. Residual is $22,300 and I feel good about this price. Any input appreciated.

#30 ·
I bought it for size over a 5 series, mpg, the hatch, and did not want to pay the 7 series premium. The residual was also so high, it made a lease very attractive and unfortunately it sealed the deal for me instead of looking/thinking harder. The residual for the lease is important, but not so much if you buy and try to sell after the fact. If the 5 was E-350 size in the interior, it would fare better for me (sitting in one is the only real way to compare this).

I may be in the minority, but it takes some getting used to in terms of blind spots and center of gravity when driving. Also, the comfort seats are not good on my back for long rides and I've adjusted everything; I even added support in the arse (6 foot 190lbs before anyone asks :)) since that is where I felt like I was sitting in a hole (BMW - think about adding air/lumbar support there). The mirrors should also be a bit larger due to the cars size. Then there are the run flats - I swapped them for real tires and they do feel better, albeit a $1200 swap and I'll put the RFT's back on at lease end and it should be right aorund when I'll need new tires anyway. Some day BMW will also realize that the cabin temp sensors should not sit behind cups that can be cold or hot (odd how when in winter and 20 degrees the air kicks on b/c of a hot cup of coffee blocking them). Still have note figured out the 3 settings (ok - 2 auto and 1 manual) for the air/heat. Auto should be auto, and manual manual.... Lose the panaramic roof, waste of technology and raley used.

Net - the Lexus LS460 will get a good hard look when this lease is up. And thank God it's a lease.

Wardman

#38 ·
----------------------------------
haven't asked one to be transferred but it wasn't 'offered' either ! .... resales of the F10 2011 are 'rare' at this agency also ....it's the only show in town unless we travel 1 hr each way west north and frankly no car is worth 'that' at my stage of life - LOL :dunno:
ps: 'no' to a 7

#36 ·
Truth is the GT is one of BMW's slowest selling models. Dealerships don't want to carry it - fearing they'll have to wait many months to sell it (in the meantime making payments on it and insurance).
Sounds like your dealership isn't really interested in selling you one. They don't want to do a dealer trade w/ their sister dealership for it, only to be stuck with it if you decide to go with the sedan.
My advice - take your business elsewhere

#39 ·
Truth is the GT is one of BMW's slowest selling models. Dealerships don't want to carry it - fearing they'll have to wait many months to sell it (in the meantime making payments on it and insurance).
Sounds like your dealership isn't really interested in selling you one. They don't want to do a dealer trade w/ their sister dealership for it, only to be stuck with it if you decide to go with the sedan.
My advice - take your business elsewhere[/QUOTE
------------------------
Didn't realize it's a slow-seller ...are you saying that even tho the agencies are owned by the same outfit, they have to 'share' 'commissions' if a car is traded between them stores? sounds similar to real estate agencies - same practice occurrs.... as i just said in my other 'reply' in thread, we'd have to travel two hours (r/t) to that company's agency or a 'new' agency .... not worth it to me ! :(

#37 ·
My previous car was an Audi S6 (10 cyl, 435 hp N/A). I had looked at the Audi A7 which has the sloped back and I liked the look. I wanted to return to the BMW brand in as much as the Audi interior hadn’t changed enough (had two 745i before the S6). I went to the BMW dealership expecting to buy a 550iX, not knowing the GT existed. When I saw the GT, I was overwhelmed by the appearance, and after a closer look and test drive I leased one. The dealer was able to find a GT which filled my shopping list. While I fully enjoy uniqueness of the car, I won’t be buying another GT. I find it too large and not nimble enough for my needs. It is a great vehicle for the right audience

#40 ·
My previous car was an Audi S6 (10 cyl, 435 hp N/A). I had looked at the Audi A7 which has the sloped back and I liked the look. I wanted to return to the BMW brand in as much as the Audi interior hadn't changed enough (had two 745i before the S6). I went to the BMW dealership expecting to buy a 550iX, not knowing the GT existed. When I saw the GT, I was overwhelmed by the appearance, and after a closer look and test drive I leased one. The dealer was able to find a GT which filled my shopping list. While I fully enjoy uniqueness of the car, I won't be buying another GT. I find it too large and not nimble enough for my needs. It is a great vehicle for the right audience
-------------------------
interesting observation (not 'nimble-enough) ... did you find the '7' more to your liking insofar as 'handling' compared to this GT?
we had a 2000 '7' but the newer '7's' might not be a fair comparison to each other either . thanks for your help !

#43 · (Edited)
The reason we bought the GT was due to the fact that this model was the only " big" BMW car that my wife liked so that's what it took to stay with the marque. I'm such a BMW fanatic that I'm not willing to consider anything else though I think this car looks like a big potato. I've never driven a more comfortable car with such a controversial exterior styling. I hope it grows on me over time, until then I'll keep driving the E90.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.