BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Shifter Arm

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  MigzE30 
#1 ·
Today I attempted to remove the shifter arm which was unsuccessful and a pain in the ass.
For some reason the shifter arm In my E30 is more like a square metal plate which is very loose but it's bolted onto some part of the top of the transmission, I haven't seen this in other E30's. I tried loosening these bolts but it was impossible, especially since I didn't have much strength due to the awkward under-car position I was in, and also due to the exhaust that ran directly in my line of vision. I'm not too sure what I should do next. I was thinking maybe drop the exhaust, get under the car and try again with a hammer and a wrench instead ? If not that then what should I do ? Throw some advice my way please ! Thanks everyone :)

#2 ·
What does the Bentley say? Can you post photo?

#4 ·
Drop the exhaust, drop the driveshaft, you'll then have unrestricted access to the shifter mechanism. I know it sounds like a pain, but in the end it's much easier to do that than struggle with working around all the obstructions.

The shifter mounting plate is just as you thought. It's a stamped sheet metal piece that bolts to the back of the transmission. A few E30s came with that, and many of the E24s had that plate. I just rebuilt one on an '84 633. Well worth the effort. It went from "stick in a bucket of mud" feel, to very precise and smooth.

#8 ·
I didnt have to drop exhaust or driveshaft... I was able to use a couple long extensions to bring it out past the tailshaft.. I used a wobble tip extension on the last one to get a slight angle on the ratchet. It worked for me. If you do have to drop all that make sure you put a little dab of loctite on the bolts that go into the transmission. I noticed mine loosened back up after a few months.

#9 ·
Just so I don't have to struggle I'm going to drop the exhaust, and get everything out of my way once im there. I don't want any difficulties or complications so I'd rather just do it the right way. Of course it's going to be a lot of work but in the end it will pay off with extra knowledge and a great shift through gears ;)

#10 ·
NEW PROBLEM
So after all, the problem with my vague shifting was that on the shifter plate which holds the shift lever still, there were these 2 little blocks which allow the plate to bolt onto the transmission, these 2 little blocks where completely burnt through. I managed to buy a new shifter plate with a shifter and almost new bushings from my local autoban for only $20. I then bought the 2 little blocks for $7.50 ea. I installed the new plate which was a pain in the ass but at least all i had to remove was my heat plate and not my exhaust. once i installed it, my shifter shifted perfectly. 1 problem though, it lets me change it into gear only when the engine is off. When I turn it on, it won't let me put it into any gear. Im guessing maybe some cables in my clutch are disconnected because my clutch feels a little loose, I felt it on my friends E30 and it was much more tough to step in. Or maybe slave or master cylinder ? Any one have an idea ? Thanks for looking :)

#12 ·
Yes they were completely worn out so the bolt moved around loosely within the block. And yes I just checked the reservoir and it's completely empty. Im pretty sure If I just fill it up my clutch should be fine. If not then ill check the lines for a leak

#14 ·
and check for leaks. That fluid went somewhere. May have to rebuild slave and master.

#15 ·
So I found out my master clutch cylinder was leaking. I ordered a reconstructed one for about 60 bucks and it comes in tomorrow. I just can't remove my master, I removed the 3 bolts from the inside of the car, but how do I remove it from the end that goes through the wall of the car and connects to the metal line which connects to the slave ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.