BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E36 official firearms thread.

32K views 422 replies 37 participants last post by  Rich_Jenkins 
#1 ·
We talk about firearms in the OT thread an awful lot, and while it's OT to BMW, it gets talked about frequently enough to probably use it's own thread.

SO: the main purpose will be to openly discuss and share photos of and about firearms. This IS NOT to be a political thread, we all have our opinions about it and this ain't the place for it, so check it at the door. This is going to be a friendly thread about reviews, acquisitions, advice, and general discussion.

Okay so there will be some ground rules

• No attempts to buy or sell any firearm, ammo, or components
  • keep politics to an abosolute minimum
  • no fanboy circlejerks
  • do not post pictures or videos of you or anyone else engaging in risky or otherwise illegal behavior
  • always use proper safe firearm handling techniques
  • do not take any legal advice from here, we're not lawyers and thusly not liable for anything stupid or illegal that you or someone may or may not do
  • it is okay to post pictures from hunts, but no blood/gore please
  • use common sense when posting, if it seems wrong, it probably is.
This list will be amended as time goes on I'm sure but these are a few of the basics that immediately come to mind.

With all that, let us get started?

See less See more
#119 ·
in the past week I have been a bad bad bad person. I bought those trijicon sights, and now i just bought new Howard Leight electronic ear pro. LFI kydex tactical holster, and twin mag pouches. and Falcon grip enhancers as well as a frame plug, all for the glock.

#121 ·
Who found me an XDM40 in stock? My local gun shop isn't cooperating.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App
oh jeez... good luck find an XD of any sort in this market... or at least affordably. My LGS still has a boat load of M&P's in 9 and .40 and a couple of 9mm Sigs

#122 · (Edited)
#123 ·
The first review compares it to the G23 and says it's better. Seems pretty adamant about that. I don't have $700 for something like that right now, though.

#125 ·
After watching two of my best friends get robbed at gun point a couple months ago, I've been meaning to pick one up. But I'm just going to wait until I get back from deployment.

Sh*t was wild. I was standing right where my buddy was not 45 seconds prior, but I went to piss behind the bar (it was after closing time). I was standing 10 feet away when it happened and saw the whole thing. All I could think about was how prime it would be if I was packing, especially the position I was in over the assailants.

#138 ·
^^ for ****s sake...

Do you think left wing politicians will ever understand that these stupid rules will not stop gun violence? As if the people owning these guns legally for target practice now being required to carry them unloaded to and from the range is going to stop some nutcase from shooting up a school...

How anti-gun people think the world works when they create more gun laws:

#140 ·
^^ for ****s sake...

Do you think left wing politicians will ever understand that these stupid rules will not stop gun violence? As if the people owning these guns legally for target practice now being required to carry them unloaded to and from the range is going to stop some nutcase from shooting up a school...

How anti-gun people think the world works when they create more gun laws:
It's worse than that. Now it has to be unloaded, and you need to have an invitation IN WRITING from the range you're going to. Even if you're a member there.

#141 · (Edited)
I got these installed today. Huge improvement

High res photos:

Attachments

#146 ·
I got these installed today. Huge improvement

High res photos:
Thats the one thing I need for my gun; better sites..

It's worse than that. Now it has to be unloaded, and you need to have an invitation IN WRITING from the range you're going to. Even if you're a member there.
That is absurd :tsk:

a decent set of sights, and a grip enhancement. I knowing nothing about XD's because I don't really like them so I never looked into them that much.
What dont you like about XDMs? I actually liked the trigger pull and feel of them much more than my 3rd gen. However, the 4th gen glock felt a bit better..

#151 ·
Got my Howard Leight electronic ear muffs in. Found out that I can plug an iPod into these bad boys and jam out while shooting.

Attachments

#165 ·
just curious as to what happens if the batteries go dead while you are in the middle of shooting? I had a set of those but not electronic and found them to not be that great at the indoor range...so I got these delivered today

Peltor ultimate 10...has a NRR of 30 which is the highest I have seen and they were only 20 bucks...can't wait to try them out at the range

#153 ·
in ear protection is nice if you're wearing a helmet or baclava but ear bud style things hurt my inner ear so much that i suck it up for overhead muffs.

#156 ·
Ken have you had a chance to try the ears out yet? I am looking for your personal experience with the clipping technology versus compression. A review on Ingo said its worth the extra $20 to upgrade to a noise compression pair.

Also, what are peoples thoughts between piston and DI? The current supply pinch has let me go deeper into the subject. However, the more I research, the less clear it becomes. What I've basically gathered is it doesn't really matter as long as they're kept clean. (same with chrome-lining unless you're putting lots of rapid fire events together).

#157 ·
Ken have you had a chance to try the ears out yet? I am looking for your personal experience with the clipping technology versus compression. A review on Ingo said its worth the extra $20 to upgrade to a noise compression pair.

Also, what are peoples thoughts between piston and DI? The current supply pinch has let me go deeper into the subject. However, the more I research, the less clear it becomes. What I've basically gathered is it doesn't really matter as long as they're kept clean. (same with chrome-lining unless you're putting lots of rapid fire events together).
Okay lot's of things to cover here. I have tried the ears out, they are pretty awesome, trippy at first but once you find the sweet spot on the volume they're perfect. they'll amplify voices and ambient noise so that you can hear things that you need to but they'll immediately block out anything over 86db. it's funny because you don't think that they're working when you have them turned on but when you turn them off they work like normal compression muffs, and when you take them off it's like being assaulted with a megaphone. i have a set of howard leights that are regular muffs and then the impact sports. i say spend the extra money, totally worth it.

now as for piston vs. gas impingement. this is like the glock vs. 1911 story. they both work normal under normal operating conditions. if you're experienced with DI guns then you'll most likely know how and why they have malfunctions. I personally think that piston driven guns are really neat, but totally unnecessary. I'll find the link, but this company has a loaner AR15 called "filthy 14" and has had 10's of thousands of rounds through it without ever being cleaned, they just douche it in slip2000 and put it away. and the only malfunctions to date were a broken bolt key and ejector. piston is nice because it doesnt blow gas straight into the BCG, however, DI is the way they're designed and have been proven time and time again to be reliable, all these stories of dudes with malfunction ARs have these problems because they're shooting sh!tty fcuking WOLF ammo out of a hobby grade (read: DPMS) rifle that wasn't made for military abuse.

tl:dr don't buy gas piston if you don't want to be laughed at buy gun fighters and operators, save the money and buy a real AR

#159 ·
Muffs: what were your surroundings (other shooters firing many rounds)? When I say compression I mean the other electronic technology. The clipping models should be fine as long as its not a busy and crowded indoor range. They'd keep switching to passive mode and sound choppy. Here's the main review I saw: http://ingunowners.com/forums/ingo_...tronic_hearing_protection_for_any_budget.html

Absolutely amazing performance. I think you've settled it. For reference the models I was considering were sig m400, colt le69XX, sig 556, and ruger Sr556.

#161 ·
I like the trijicons...I think I am going to order the sights for my PPQ

ammo is getting redonkulous....I have about 800 rounds of 9mm and would like to get another 500 but can't find any good deals lately

oh if anyone knows how hard it is to get these then you will be jelly

4 17rd's and 2 15rds......I saw 4 17rds go on gunbroker for $740 bucks...ignore my lounging pants :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.