BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Review of my 2014 535i Xdrive Msport coming from a 2011 - Kaysid

6K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  tturedraider 
#1 ·
Hello All,
I have had my car for about 10 days now. Its a Dark Graphite/Mocha 535 Xdrive Msport with a few options including the LED Headlights.
I traded in my Deep Sea Blue 2011 535 Xdrive base model. I am very satistfied with the color combination and the car in general,
coming from the 2011. In my mind the LCI had enough improvements to draw me back to the same model.

Ride/Handling

Coming from a base suspension 2011 535 to a 2014 Msport Xdrive which also has the base suspension. I can clearly say BMW
did their homework. The car has a much better ride/handling balance, it is more composed over rough roads and cushions the
driver from road imperfections that would transmit through on the 2011. The ride with the 19 inch 351 wheels is still better
than that of my 2011 with 18 inch wheels. This is comparing RFT to RFT, I also have a set of Summer and Winter non-RFT tires
which I have not yet switched over to yet, but I can assume it will only improve with the non-RFT combination.

Handling is also much improved, the car rolls considerably less under hard cornering and feels more tighter through the curves.
The steering feels more weighted and better balanced and the whole car handles "smaller" than the 2011.

Powertrain/Transmission

I can say goodbye to the the jerking gearshift during first to second gear, the tip in hesitancy that was quite pronounced on the 2011
has disappeared. I do leave the Start/Stop in the off position, which it does remember. I did not have the SAT transmission
in the last car, so this is a new toy for me, but generally driving in Sport mode feels more spirited to me than before.
The engine is still silky smooth and has plenty of torque when required and meets my daily communing needs and then some.
It will probably take a while for the engine to break-in and breath a bit more easier.

Interior
I love the Mocha interior with the Anthracite wood option. The Nappa leather is definitely an upgrade compared to the Dakota leather
although I hope it maintains as well as the Dakota, the backseats of which took some abuse from my 8 year old son and his booster seat.
Coming from a non-Msport I do like the new Steering Wheel, its thicker and smaller diameter rim and it is so much easier to see
the dials and instrument cluster than before. I do like the anthracite headliner color, texture and feel. The indicator stalk controls
have extra damping and a quieter indicator sound to my ears, small observations to be sure, but they increase the overall refinement
in the car, talking of which the car does seem quieter than before in terms of road noise entering the cabin. The use of the aluminum
trim around the console unlock button are nice touches.
My car has the standard seats and this one regret I had in not ordering the comfort seats, however again compared to my 2011
the seats have more lateral support and are a little better sculpted.

I have not got to play around with the infotainment system, but look forward to make use of the connected apps and the Bluetooth
streaming. The navigation maps do look better and seem to render faster than before. The Idrive is more chunkier and allows
text input by way of touch scribing/swiping something that seems more intuitive and should be easier to use with practice.

Exterior
Obviously coming from a non-Msport to an Msport I love the kit on the car. The LED Headlights are a head-turner and I am glad I
opted for them. In terms of functionality, they are whiter so help with clarity in night time driving, to me the actual beam coverage
seems slightly less than with the xenon's and I may try adjusting the housing height as others have suggested on the forum.

The integrated side mirror indicators are great and I am surprised it took BMW this model iteration to introduce this, but better
late than never. The non-functional chrome fender trim is a bit of a disappointment, the BMW bean counters were at work here.
I decided to wrap mine in Carbon fiber film as I did not like the expanse of chrome, too Buick for me.

So all in all very pleased with the new car and look forward to update her with a few modifications as time goes on.

Detailing:
After the usual hand wash, clay bar and polish I decided to use Cquartz UK ceramic sealant. After reading many reviews and going
back on forth on Gtechniq EVO, I went with Cquartz UK as the sealant and the Reload spray as a slick finishing coat.

Paint Protection Film:

I previously use to have a Venture Shield film on the front bumper, fenders and partial hood. I had no issues with it
and it gave good protection from chips on the front end. This time around I experimented using 3M Defender Paint Protection.
This is spray on liquid that becomes a film. It requires areas of the car to be completely masked then sprayed on before
settling into a film. After having seen the film on the car, it seems very fragile to tearing and would probably not survive
a winter where a snow brush might be used on the car. I really cannot recommend it as an alternative to a clear bra film.
I can see a use case more for a temporary application, before a big road trip for example, but even then the time to mask
off the adjacent non coverage areas, one could probably apply a film. I will be applying another Ventureshield clear bra
in a month or so when I have some time after the holidays.

Others Mods:

Carbon Fiber Fender Trim (3M Di-noc)
Tinted Front and Rear Reflectors
Black Chrome Emblems
M Rear Spoiler
Bumper Defender Colored Bumper Protection Strips

To-Do (By end of the month):
LCI M5 Grill (Ordered)
Tow Hook License Plate Holder (Rhoplate - Ordered)
Window Tint

See less See more
#2 ·
Where did u get the carbon fiber side marker plat inserts pictured in the last image?

#4 ·
I applied 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber film to the chrome trim pieces.

#3 ·
Excellent review.

Glad you like the Nappa Mocha interior as much as I do. I get so many compliments on it.

#5 ·
Thanks. It is really hard to photograph hence no pictures, but yes really love it.

#6 ·
#7 · (Edited)
Mocha Nappa Leather With Anthracite Wood Trim Interior Pics from BMW website

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Why the bumper strips?? Are you going to be doing a lot of parallel street parking? I hope there's a really practical reason for them, 'cause they detract quite a bit from the attractiveness of the car.

#17 ·
I drive and park in Manhattan quite frequently and I had these on my old 5 and it has saved me from quite a few parking scrapes both on the street and in parking garages where the valets tightly pack the cars together. To me this was a better option than the temporary rubber mat type bumper covers you see on cars in NYC.

Sent from my HTC One X using BimmerApp mobile app

#20 ·
I agree and understand. In Chicago you can tell from their bumpers cars that frequently park on the street. Coming from Texas where parallel parking spaces are fairly large and have well defined, painted markings Chicago is quite a change, where there are no defined spaces and cars are crammed in bumper to bumper. Fortunately I virtually never have to parallel park in the city.

#19 ·
Thanks. I actually don't. I am sure that would help even further. To me just the base setup is a big improvement. Anyone who has a 2011 should test drive a 2014 if they are looking for a new car in this segment.

Sent from my HTC One X using BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.