BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

**Consolidated RFT Failures/Issues Thread**

447K views 2K replies 370 participants last post by  kburn711 
#1 ·
Guys I was dismayed to find a bubble or protrusion in the sidewall of my RFT this morning. The sensor is not on in the vehicle and I cannot notice any performance degradation, but it is certainly visible. I don't have my digital camera otherwise I would include a photo. Recommendations welcome, do I keep driving it or take it in, from what i have read there is no repairing them, just replacing. Bummer...I felt a pothole last week but didn't think it was that bad?

#173 ·
Low Profile Tires vs. Run Flat Tires

There has been a debate on this forum whether the basis for the high rate of tire failure on the F10 is related to the tires being low profile as opposed to the tires being run flat.

The majority opinion blames the failure on the tires being run flats.

The minority opinion (my opinion) blames the failure on the tires being low profile.

In support of my position, I have referred everyone to the warning that BMW now provides on its website.

Recently, I was reviewing BMW's website and I discovered that BMW has changed the warning regarding the use of low profile tires. In fact and IMO, BMW has made the warning more detailed in an attempt to warn its customers about the problems associated with low profile tires.

The new warning is as follows:

2 Driving over rough or damaged road surfaces, as well as debris, curbs and other obstacles can cause serious damage to wheels, tires and suspension parts. This is more likely to occur with low-profile tires, which provide less cushioning between the wheel and the road. Be careful to avoid road hazards and reduce your speed, especially if your vehicle is equipped with low-profile tires.

Based upon my experiences and investigation, I maintain my believe that the 19 inch tires are failing because they are low profile and not because they are run flat. Furthermore, I believe that the warning that BMW has added to its website, which has been changed to make it more forceful, further supports my position.

The purpose of this thread is not to start an argument with those who are of the majority opinion. Rather, the purpose of this thread is to simply set forth my opinion with the sole purpose of conveying to others what I know and to assist them in resolving their problem (which happens to be the same exact problem that I had with a 2008 Jaguar).

#174 ·
There has been a debate on this forum whether the basis for the high rate of tire failure on the F10 is related to the tires being low profile as opposed to the tires being run flat.

The majority opinion blames the failure on the tires being run flats.

The minority opinion (my opinion) blames the failure on the tires being low profile.

In support of my position, I have referred everyone to the warning that BMW now provides on its website.

Recently, I was reviewing BMW's website and I discovered that BMW has changed the warning regarding the use of low profile tires. In fact and IMO, BMW has made the warning more detailed in an attempt to warn its customers about the problems associated with low profile tires.

The new warning is as follows:

2 Driving over rough or damaged road surfaces, as well as debris, curbs and other obstacles can cause serious damage to wheels, tires and suspension parts. This is more likely to occur with low-profile tires, which provide less cushioning between the wheel and the road. Be careful to avoid road hazards and reduce your speed, especially if your vehicle is equipped with low-profile tires.

Based upon my experiences and investigation, I maintain my believe that the 19 inch tires are failing because they are low profile and not because they are run flat. Furthermore, I believe that the warning that BMW has added to its website, which has been changed to make it more forceful, further supports my position.

The purpose of this thread is not to start an argument with those who are of the majority opinion. Rather, the purpose of this thread is to simply set forth my opinion with the sole purpose of conveying to others what I know and to assist them in resolving their problem (which happens to be the same exact problem that I had with a 2008 Jaguar).
There's really no way to determine this with 100% certainty without running some scientific tests (Tire Rack should do this) but I've had 19" low profile tires on my Audi S5 for 3 years and I have not had a single failure (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S). I live on Long Island, New York and the roads here are horrendous. Personally i think the combination of low profile and run flat tires is the problem.

#181 ·
I've had 35, 40, and 45 series tires for the past 7 years (20kmi/yr) and not one tire bubble or tire failure. I have had bent wheels, which what is supposed to happen if you hit a pot hole with exsessive force; the tire yields, the rim bends, and the car keeps driving in a safe manor. I had an A6 with 3 out of 4 rims that were bent. When I swap out my summer or winter wheels, I check the rims for roundness. If any are bent they are sent to the wheel shop for straightening. Unfortunately, it seems manufacturers want to prevent bent wheels. If you look at the weight of newer BMW wheels, they incredibly heavy (presumably to prevent rim damage). If the wheels don't give and the RFT tires aren't designed to give, then something must fail. In the case of the 245/40/R19 Goodyear Eagle RS RFT the tire fails. Other set-ups will likely have wheel or suspension damage.

In addition to BMW's statement number 2, I am positive the statement below is true:

3 Driving over rough or damaged road surfaces, as well as debris, curbs and other obstacles can cause serious damage to wheels, tires and suspension parts. This is more likely to occur with run-flat tires, which provide less cushioning between the wheel and the road. Be careful to avoid road hazards and reduce your speed, especially if your vehicle is equipped with run-flat tires tires.

#182 ·
In addition to BMW's statement number 2, I am positive the statement below is true:

3 Driving over rough or damaged road surfaces, as well as debris, curbs and other obstacles can cause serious damage to wheels, tires and suspension parts. This is more likely to occur with run-flat tires, which provide less cushioning between the wheel and the road. Be careful to avoid road hazards and reduce your speed, especially if your vehicle is equipped with run-flat tires tires.
On the BMW website that I am viewing, footnote 3 is as follows:

3 Check for a list of BMW-compatible Bluetooth enabled mobile phones at your authorized BMW center or bmwusa.com.

Where did you find the BMW warning pertaining to run flat tires?

#183 ·
No one ever claimed it was a RFT problem or a low profile problem. The only known problem with F10 tires involves 19" Goodyear A/S tires. They are they only tires that have a massive failure rate. No one with 18's seem to have any problem. No one with 19's with ANY other brand seem to have any problems. The issue is isolated completely with 19" GY RFT all season tires......

#187 ·
I have further proof it is the brand rather than RFT or size (yes 19" tires are the ones failing, but only GYs). Yesterday I hit a pretty serious pothole, worst yet with the car. I got out and looked and sure enough not a bubble, bend or anything. This is on a set of RFT Dunlops that replaced my GYs after 5 bubbles. I never hit a pothole this bad with the GYs.....

#193 ·
I also have had a bubbled GY 19". Based on my previous experience with diff low profile tires run flat and non is the GY is an inferior product with a sidewall that cant live up to that of it's competition (ie Bridgestone, Michelin, Dunlop). My dealer put Bridgestones on my car until the GY's are available and you can feel the difference.

I have been in contact with GY and BMW customer services. They are both aware of the issue but neither is admitting that there is an issue in design or quality. They are just warrantying the tire. It would be interesting to know how many 19" GY all seasons have madde it out of Germany and how many failures they have had. If the ratio gets too high it sounds like a class action could be had...

Anyone interested in my conversations feel free to contact me.

Brick

#195 ·
With all of the issues surrounding these Goodyear RFT's I have decided to pull them off my car when the new Pilot Super Sports are available later this month. Have already placed order with Tire Rack. Looking at the pictures posted have me concerned about potential safety issue. For those of you who have had issues you may want to report it to the NHTSA. I looked so see if there were any complaints submitted but did not see any.

Here is the link to file a report.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

If enough people complain Goodyear will do something about this before it turns into a bigger liability issue for them.

#468 ·
#196 ·
On my E60 I switched my tires for non-run flats after 6 months (245/40R18 front; 275/35R18 rear).

I have never had a damaged tire. I have had a cracked rim 3 times; however, it was the same wheel (which was weakened by 2 repairs until it finally gave out the 3rd time).

I live in New York and I must say I have hit some NASTY potholes at high speed.

I am not looking forward to the Goodyear RFTs on my F10.

#199 ·
What's the big deal with BMW "Star" rated tires?

I spoke to the service manager at my BMW dealer today and told him that I had switched my tires to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and was selling my Goodyear Run Flats. He wasn't interested but also told me something about BMW "star" rated tires would be the only tire BMW recognized for warranty issues. My Michelins don't have the "Star". Anyone know anything about BMW "Star" rated tires? :dunno:
DocBob

#200 ·
from another thread on the forum: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1239696.html

"samger2

BMW tires are stamped with a star...there are definitely small differences about the tires...most likely nothing noticeable...but for instance the service description maybe different...for example, an 89H vs. a 91H...again nothing you'll notice, but the tire with the 91H performed exactly how BMW wanted...thus they put a star on it to designate it for their car.

The biggest issue to me here, is if you are on a lease and are planning to turn the car back in...if you turn it in and it has non oem tires on it, the pre owned lot cannot CPO the car until it has the star tires on it...thus they'll charge you...even if you just put a brand new set of tires on it...if they aren't the star tires, you'll get nailed for it."

#202 ·
This post is about 2 years old. I have never heard of someone returning a leased vehicle and being charged due to having no star on the tires. And there is no mention of this in the lease return documentation. If anyone has had a different experience, it would be helpful to hear.

#213 ·
If you don't mind my asking, $1050 for how many years? Was this the "standard" BMW-backed wheel/tire plan? Did they try to sell you "ding" protection?

I'm also concerned about dealers trying to make money off tire/wheel insurance by insisting you pay for alignment after each incident. Have you run into anything like that?

Thanks.

#216 ·
With all these problems with the RFTs, I wonder for how long BMW will continue offering the insurance or how long before the rate goes through the roof.

#229 ·
More likely the rest of the country is paying higher premiums to subsidize the Metro New York market. You almost never see someone from Des Moines or Chattanooga complaining about tire failures. Yet (thanks to horror stories on BF and elsewhere) I am sure the Centers there are selling lots of W&T warranties.

#219 ·
Three weeks and 850 miles, Michelins - no problems, but then again Texas roads are not a NYC road qualifier.

#221 ·
i was thinking that his had more to do with the poor design of the 351s but i am not sure of the breakdown between wheels.

by the way, the 351s are 4 weeks away on a boat somewhere.

#226 ·
You have way less wheel options with an M-sport car. I was thinking of getting the standard 18s on my car as I like the way they look but on an M-sport they would look awful.

#228 · (Edited)
I try and avoid potholes and was pretty successful this year. I hit a piece of metal on the freeway during rush hour a few years back in my 06 Audi A6 Didn't see it in time because everyone was running stacked behind each other and not enough time to avoid it. I flattened two Conti regular low profile and busted two wheels. The guy behind me driving a Chevy Impala just had a bubble in his sidewall. Had to call a tow. Maybe runflats would have let me limp back to the dealer. I just chalked it up to a bad break and the price I paid for driving the car I wanted with low profile tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.