BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Official Pricing and Ordering Guide for 5 Series (F10) Model Year 2014

85K views 213 replies 61 participants last post by  tim330i 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
See less See more
#96 ·
Need Help!!!

Ok so a bit of bad karma has come my way. I just posted a note to the forum this morning saying how glad I was that I got one of the last 2013 550i in manual and the dealer called me at lunch and said that my production number is in fact a MY 2014 car and the factory refuses to make it in manual......

When I ordered the car we look at the allocation schedule together and there were 8 cars in status 112 for MY 2013 and I supposedly got one of them. All the sudden my production number went from status 112 to status 105 (they never go backward) and when the dealer called the factory they were told it was a 2014 model (at least that is what the dealer told me)

Now the dealer is saying they may be able to price protect me on a 2014 model but that means no manual. As funny as this may sound I was cross shopping the 550 with the S4 and the CLA 45 AMG. The CLA doesn't come in manual and I can't get an S4 in manual for reasons I won't go into (wife).

Any thoughts here? Should I call BMW NA and raise hell? Should I ask for price protection and something else and just relent to the flappy panel gearbox like everyone else?

#97 ·
Any thoughts here? Should I call BMW NA and raise hell? Should I ask for price protection and something else and just relent to the flappy panel gearbox like everyone else?
Really? How much money are you spending on that car? Is it OK that you have to "settle" for something you don't exactly want when you spend that much money?

Walk. But make sure they know why you walked away.

#98 ·
I got to see the LCI up close and personal at BMW HQ at the CCA event this Friday. We also saw the new X5 and the 4.

The changes were not huge of course. The front fascia, a little bit on the rear. Inside the new touch iDrive controller, a little extra chrome accents around the nav screen. This model was a loaded 550. It had adjustable side bolsters and the Mocha interior and the black leather dash. LED headlights and foglights.

For me, the changes in options, colors, the 45 HP, and the minor styling changes, I can say I will probably get another F10 after my lease ends.

To be honest, not overly impressed with the new X5. Exterior was better looking in person than it was in pictures, but not too exciting. The quality of the interior was lower than expected. It's possible that it was just an early production model, but the interior door panels were of a very low quality. We'll have to see on the final models if they improve that. I was considering the X5 as my next car, but I don't think it will be now.

The 4 was hot looking. Even though the interior of the show models did not carry over to production, it has the F30 interior. Still, very attractive and sporty.

#103 ·
I got to see the LCI up close and personal at BMW HQ at the CCA event this Friday. We also saw the new X5 and the 4.

The changes were not huge of course. The front fascia, a little bit on the rear. Inside the new touch iDrive controller, a little extra chrome accents around the nav screen. This model was a loaded 550. It had adjustable side bolsters and the Mocha interior and the black leather dash. LED headlights and foglights.
Wow. They actually listened to all the b*tching. That alone is enough to make me want a 2014.

#101 ·
Possible to get leather dash without Individual?
I'd say it is very likely you can get leather dash as a special order - just like on the MY13.

The Individual packages have nothing to do with the leather dash because in the US, it's not part of the Individual package.

#102 ·
The Mocha interior was very nice, and will probably be the color I would get. No contrast stitching that I could remember.

#104 ·
Hmmm ... am I the only one reading this thread interested in the 535d (530d for the rest of the world)? :D That engine is the event of the year for me.

#105 ·
I'm interested in it too. Curious to see the expected MPG figures.

#119 ·
Dynamic Handling Package with 528i M Sport

Is it me, or Dynamic Handling Package option is NOT available with 528i M-Sport Line???
If that's the case, it is very upsetting. does it mean, that M-Sport line cannot be had with sport suspension?
M-Sport Line includes M Sport package, which only seems to be purely cosmetic

#121 ·
Is it me, or Dynamic Handling Package option is NOT available with 528i M-Sport Line???
If that's the case, it is very upsetting. does it mean, that M-Sport line cannot be had with sport suspension?
M-Sport Line includes M Sport package, which only seems to be purely cosmetic
The two suspensions can't co-exist. M Sport uses regular passive rear struts while the DHP uses active struts. This is no different than any other car - you have 4 struts which can either be passive or dynamic, not both.
The M Sport suspension (at least for 2013) is the same as the non M Sport suspension except for the coil springs, rear struts, and the front stabilizer bar. It does make a difference, but it's not a radically different suspension.

#120 ·
M Sport line comes standard with an M Sport suspension. Adding DHP puts you back to an Active suspension (non M Sports suspension) with a sporty option tacked onto it. That's how it is for the 535i's at least.

#128 ·
Another question- all models come standard with Driving Dynamics Control with ECO PRO- I understand, it changes suspension and steering settings b/w Normal, Comfort and Sport modes.
It does that whether DHS is equipped, or not?
Also, what seats come with M Sport Package in 528? And how multi contour seats are different?

#129 ·
Driving dynamics can only adjust an active suspension, not a passive one.
Standard comfort seats come with the 528. Multi Contour seats have more adjustments and have adjustable thigh support extension. The downloadable brochure gives good info on the seats.

#130 ·
To be specific, on the 5-series sedan non-528 models, the ZDH package must be included in order for that control button to change the suspension in addition to steering and tranny. Just adding the dynamic suspension aka Dynamic Damper Control alone is not available according to the guide. Your CA *may* be able to... YMMV

#135 ·
A basic No-Line LCI 535i beats out the brand-newly motor'd E400 with Sports (or Avantgarde) package which is gonna come to the U.S in 2015 apparently as a replacement to the E550, so it's especially impressive for the 535i which is will likely be a cheaper car. It's especially impressive that the N55 pretty much puts up neck and neck numbers with the brand new TT V6 from M-B which again is *supposedly* going to replace the E550's V8TT.

Apparently they say the 5er: Has better interior quality (duh), better gearbox (duh). equally comfortable with better and sportier driving dynamics, has better seats (duh), has better steering feel (duh), and better handling (duh). Apparently the E gets better fuel economy though. Again, very impressive for a 535i which is supposed to compete with an E350 (and of course excels past it enough to where even an E400 won't compensate for the W212's inherent shortcomings to the F10).

Of course, this isn't an M Sport F10 so I'd expect the results of that to further weigh in the 5ers favor. Also of course, they have strong enough eyes to notice the 5ers design superiority over what is the (IMO) hapazard mess of a joke that is the E Class facelift "mashup" design.

#197 ·
A basic No-Line LCI 535i beats out the brand-newly motor'd E400 with Sports (or Avantgarde) package which is gonna come to the U.S in 2015 apparently as a replacement to the E550, so it's especially impressive for the 535i which is will likely be a cheaper car. It's especially impressive that the N55 pretty much puts up neck and neck numbers with the brand new TT V6 from M-B which again is *supposedly* going to replace the E550's V8TT.

Apparently they say the 5er: Has better interior quality (duh), better gearbox (duh). equally comfortable with better and sportier driving dynamics, has better seats (duh), has better steering feel (duh), and better handling (duh). Apparently the E gets better fuel economy though. Again, very impressive for a 535i which is supposed to compete with an E350 (and of course excels past it enough to where even an E400 won't compensate for the W212's inherent shortcomings to the F10).

Of course, this isn't an M Sport F10 so I'd expect the results of that to further weigh in the 5ers favor. Also of course, they have strong enough eyes to notice the 5ers design superiority over what is the (IMO) hapazard mess of a joke that is the E Class facelift "mashup" design.
An interesting article. It is really surprising how close are both cars. Obviously BMW is a leader, but it will cost you 5 grands more, and it is worth every penny. Since BMW is highly demanding car it is hard to find any configuration you may like out of a lot. Since I was a little short in time I stuck with E class. But I selected short term lease to switch to a bimmer soon. So I started reading the forum to get better knowledge of the car.

#136 ·
I know this sounds like sacrilege to the M Sport aficionados but I must ask whether it's possible to attain chrome/aluminium door trim with the M Sport package instead of Shadow Line. You see, I'm saving up for a 550i in either Black Sapphire or Azurite Black. I prefer the contrast of chrome/aluminium against dark paints because it highlights the Hoffmeister kink and adds to the aesthetic beauty of the car. Shadowline black window trim on black paint is too undifferentiated and dull in my opinion. Of course this is highly subjective. Yet I take issue with being railroaded into Shadowline without the choice of the chrome/aluminium. Is the M Sport + chrome door trim possible?

#137 ·
Not sure if it is in the States, but I know that in Europe and Asia (based on members who have posted) you can get it like that. You have to opt for an "Individual" Package I believe.

#138 ·
The following is the combination I'm looking for:

How come the French get it so easy? I have not seen a single M Sport 5 series sedan with chrome door trim in the USA.
BMW have bonded Shadowline to M Sport for the USA market. If anyone has a workable idea how I can circumvent this problem I would appreciate it. Call me awkward but I get a thrill out of the combination of M Sport, Dark Graphite Metallic paint and chrome door trim.

#139 ·
You'll need to work with your Dealer to see if they can do a special order. You can get satin aluminum with the Individual Composition package, but that package cannot be ordered on an MSport. Worst case, you could order the chrome trim separately from the parts department or online from a store like getbmwparts.com and have the Dealer or a reputable body shop replace the black trim with the chrome.

#140 ·
Well I'm going to make a complaint to BMW. It is unfair that the French get more choice when the USA is a bigger market. BMW should be more flexible on its Shadowline as it's not to everyone's taste. A choice of chrome or Shadowline door trim is the way to go. If BMW considers that I will be spending over $70000 for a 550i xDrive M Sport, that's the least they can do.

#142 ·
That is an open question. The German site lists the MSport suspension, and the DHP package in US pricing guide indicates that ordering DHP deletes the 704 MSport suspension.

#143 ·
Whoever compiled this list has omitted the M Suspension and its code. I didn't even know its code until you posted it. There is something seriously wrong here. The publisher does not feel it's important to include M Suspension in the features. Therefore I'm assuming it isn't in the 2014 MY..
I noticed that Carbon Black Metallic is only qualified with ZMM. Is it very different to Black Sapphire? From internet photos it seems to have blue in its DNA but that may be down to camera quality. I've never seen Carbon Black in vivo.
I must say that all this secrecy over the M Suspension in the USA market means BMW can quietly exclude the feature. A premium company like BMW should be able to write unambiguous price listings.
PS: I take it that ZMM and ZMP are synonymous (In the Ordering Guide it states that 704 is deleted when the Dynamic Handling Package is ordered in conjunction with ZMP; however, ZMP is not used to describe the M Sport package; ZMM is used. Therefore the statement may not apply to ZMM).

#144 · (Edited)
The sport suspension wasn't mentioned in the 2013 pricing guide either.
ZMP was the 2013 MSport package ZMM is 2014 MSport line.
Carbon Black was inspired by the old carbon paper. It's black in low light and takes on a black/blue hue in lighter conditions.

#145 ·
Thanks again Sonic for your encyclopaedic knowledge. Looks like I've got alot of research to do. I infer that ZMP and ZMM are the same. They just changed the wording. A puzzling question still glitters: why do BMW list the M Suspension in the German site but don't bother in the USA? Americans are intelligent: they reached the moon before anyone else! BMW should clarify.........or is the game to keep it quiet so that punters will opt for the Dynamic Handling Package (ZDH) thereby fattening the coffers of BMW! So many are happy with the M Suspension introduced in 2013 that it may well have made ZDH redundant.

#146 ·
It's unfortunate but via BMW marketing sent to a contributer here themselves, they don't even like to acknowledge the M Sport suspension like they do in Europe. They silently gave the F10 an actual "M" suspension and refuse to market it in the U.S, as they still tell you "the only Sports option is the DHP" which on enthusiast sites you will find the truth on i.e that is not the case at all. Sad to see them practically keep their ear so out of the loop that they will take the chance of sabotaging the F10's driving dynamics impressions as so many have been *un*impressed with the Active suspension since 2011.... and all of a sudden in 2013 you hear/see all these drivers who had older models even, claiming "BMW finally made the F10 feel like a 'real BMW'", yet BMW still doesn't run with the fact that the magazine test wins, raving reviews are all still right in front of their face again, they just need to tell people which package you need to get it.

#147 ·
Well on further meditation I think my suspicions are correct. When one factors in that BMWs are more expensive in Europe and the Europeans are more stingy (therefore less likely to spend the extra cash on ZDP), BMW is attempting to improve the driving dynamics by introducing M Sport suspension in 2013. The US dollar is the reserve currency. The US have the cheapest new BMWs so the strategy is to sqeeze every cent out. Therefore they keep quiet about M suspension, and pray that the unknowledgable buy the inferior performing Dynamic Handling Package. Insodoing the customer has now spent more than was needed. If my memory serves me well the E39 had superb handling but did not use ZDH.

#150 ·
Does anyone know how the factory is handling new orders? Are they busy? More orders than expected? Reason why I ask is that I have my Production number # that was submitted back on 7/11 and it's showing the status "We are currently processing your order and will inform you once your BMW enters production."

From what I have read the build process is pretty quick but how long does it typically take for them to start building??

Thanks.

#151 ·
Does anyone know how the factory is handling new orders? Are they busy? More orders than expected? Reason why I ask is that I have my Production number # that was submitted back on 7/11 and it's showing the status "We are currently processing your order and will inform you once your BMW enters production."

From what I have read the build process is pretty quick but how long does it typically take for them to start building??

Thanks.
Your Dealer can tell you what production week is assigned to your order. The build process is about 8 days. The website is behind by several days. The automated 800 number is more current.
1-800-831-1117
You'll need your production order number. I recommend using the keypad on your phone rather than talking at the voice prompts.

#152 ·
Thanks for the response Sonicendeavor. I have called the number and the message I get is the my vechile is scheduled for production without a confirmed production date. When I talked to an actually agent I get the same type of message and that is all they have as a status from the factory.

I'll try my CA if I get a chance and see if he can give me a production week that my order is assigned to. Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.