BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Should I get a 5 series?

3K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  Wtnc2000-dc 
#1 ·
My father is planning on buying a 5 series soon. He would like to get a 535i or xi. As bmw owners, do you thing a brand new one is worth the money? How does it stackup against an A6? I've done research on the 535i, most of the ones in my area have the Premium Package and the Cold Weather Package. I like the performance features of the 5 series. But my father is about to spend 60 grand here, I want to make sure its the right choice. Unbiased answers please.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Honestly, the best advice would be to do multiple test drives of each...preferably back-to-back...of comparably equipped models. Go on a random weekday when the dealership is slow and they'll generally be willing to let you take longer drives. Read the forums and pay attention to the issues that people note too see if they bug you. Pay particular attention to ride quality (ask the dealers to point you towards a bumpy road), acceleration smoothness from a stop, shift quality, road and wind noise, seat comfort, etc. When my wife and I were shopping for a small SUV we test drove everything across multiple price ranges. It came down to the X3, Q5 and Volvo's XC60. The day before we bought, she drove all 3 back to back for one final comparison. It was easy to think any one was fine in isolation, but back to back drives showed the deltas more clearly. None of the choices were bad, we just ended up preferring one over the other.

#5 ·
Both are excellent cars. In the current iterations, the Audi is a little sportier and the BMW is a little nicer.

All else constant, the BMW will probably be cheaper, especially if you lease. Audis sticker a little less but you pay for your maintenance, and BMW plays crazy lease games to prop up their market share.

I've owned three BMWs and two Audis and have had a significantly better maintenance experience with the BMWs, especially north of 60,000 miles. That said, every car company is constantly improving processes and my last Audi was a 2004 model - they could be better now. The engine on that one was belt-driven, for example, and they aren't now, which would have made a $2500 difference at 60K right there.

You probably can't go wrong. Go drive both.

#6 ·
As for being worth the money, that's a personal decision. The 5 series is excellent, as is the A6. I personally prefer the interior and exterior of the 5 series, but on the performance side, the A6 is slightly faster and a little more agile than the 535i. The 535i is no slouch, it really moves, but the suspension is tuned a bit softer, although the MSport trim (built September 2013 or later) has a slightly stiffer suspension, if that's what he's looking for. The suspension and steering were significantly improved for the 2014 model year, so even the standard suspension is now quite capable.
He's not going to make a mistake with either car, as long as he test drives them (ask the Dealer to let you take one home for a day to really put it through it's paces) and makes sure the entertainment and navigation systems work for him. Both cars have fairly complicated systems that have a learning curve.
Best of luck with your decision. There's a great wealth of information here on Bimmerfest from very knowledgeable people so feel free to ask away.

#9 ·
It's best to buy a CPO model with less than 20,000 miles, two model years old, with cash, and keep it to about 100,000 miles. Since you asked. But BMW does have an extremely competitive leasing program that makes it possible to drive a 535 in the $600s without laying out too much money.

#11 · (Edited)
Most of the people who post here are BMW enthusiasts so I for one, won't pretend to be totally unbiased. That said, the A6 is a nice car; compared to my 528ix I find the A6 a bit boring to drive, but the interior is quite nice. If your dad wants luxury with a dash of sport go for the A6. If he wants the best combination of Luxury, Sport and Performance go for the 5er.

Much snow where your dad lives or drives to? If no, save some money and don't get an XDrive.

If you can find a leftover 2013 5er, that would save your dad $thousands$. CPO is another good way to go as someone else recommended to save lots more $thousands$

If you can go RWD, M Sport Line 5ers come with M Sport Passive suspensions which is an extra fun factor sportier drive.

#12 · (Edited)
Is it worth it?

Hmm, you are asking a bunch of enthusiasts if a car they all have and love if it worth it. Honestly, you are going to get a bunch of biased answers here.

For some here, 60 grand isn't a lot of money. For others, it is.

Ok, things to remember. This car is going to go down in value. Only a few cars will ever go UP in value and the ones in this price range won't until many years later. I doubt this kind of car will.

No car is worth going into bankruptcy over. If this is not in his price range, he should not try and stretch to make it. If this is his "dream" car and it's his last chance to own one and he's pushing for it and sacrificing a lot of the other things he enjoys in life (or dipping into retirement accounts), then again, it's not worth it. Remember, not only is he going to have to pay for the car, but there is upkeep as well. Even if it's just tires, that's still 1-2k every year or two depending on brand. Yes, certain versions of this car will have a tire you will need to replace every 12k miles or so and they are expensive. Once you are out of the free service time, you are still looking at a lot of cash for routine maintenance, much less something like brakes.

That said, LOTS of cars these days cost 40k+ and some cost 45-55k at the same level of equipment as a BMW 535. You can get pretty pricey with certain versions of the Camaro, Mustang, Chevy SS, etc.

So, let's explore...WHY does your father want the BMW? Prestige, logo, status? Handling, power, refinement?

If he just wants it for the roundel and he's stretching for it, no, it's not worth it. There are better values out there these days. The Cadillac CTS, Chevy SS, Audi A6 3.0T, Lexus GS, Chrysler 300, Charger, Taurus SHO, and even some Kia/Hyundai models. etc. While I admit some (especially the dodge) will not have nearly the fit and finish of the BMW, nor the little qualities that scream BMW (quality of interior materials, sound proofing, etc.) they are still GOOD cars.

If he's looking at it because it's his dream car...sometimes you need to take a real hard look at that dream. BMWs can be rock solid reliable....or in the shop a lot. I would say more reliable than not, but it's hit and miss. My car was in the shop for injectors at 10k miles for a known issue. Others will never experience that issue. A dream can turn into a nightmare very quickly if you turn out to have one of the "problem children" (remember, BMW stands for Buy More Warranty) Personally, I think Lexus has a much better track record in terms of reliability, as does Acura and both can be had for less money.

Now, is he buying it because he can afford it, and probably has been able to for a while, but had other priorities (funding retirement, kids college education, building wealth/his business, etc) then maybe. Does he enjoy DRIVING his cars (to many, a car is a way to get from one place to another...if he falls into this category, look somewhere else) Does he want RWD performance/handling (for some, RWD is the only way to go)? If yes to these questions, then yes...BMW can be worth it, but please still look at others, including the BMW 3 and 4 Series Audi A6, Cadillac ATS and CTS, MB E series, and the Lexus GS. All of these are fine automobiles and should be considered. Also remember that each car will fit you differently. Some people like a plush ride. Others want sporty. Some want instant acceleration, others want low 1/4 times, and still others will want go-cart like handling. Find the car that's right for him, which means it may not be a BMW.

Finally, all cars are also compromises. We look at models in our price range and pick that which best suits us for that price point/fuel economy standard, luxury feel, etc. I am sure the Rolls Royce and Ferrari make fine cars....but I can't afford them. Therefore, the levels of luxury or performance in those vehicles are not something I would consider and I need to compromise down to a lower priced car.

To me, it sounds like this is either something he is worried about spending 60k on...or you are worried about him spending 60k on. If he can afford it, BMW is a great car and can offer the right people great driving experiences. If you can't, there other cars that can offer a very close experience at a much lower price point. Finally, if just looking for the badge and not the driving experience and is even slightly worried about the price....it's a bad deal and he should move on to a different dream.

#15 ·
Is it worth it?

Hmm, you are asking a bunch of enthusiasts if a car they all have and love if it worth it. Honestly, you are going to get a bunch of biased answers here.

For some here, 60 grand isn't a lot of money. For others, it is.

Ok, things to remember. This car is going to go down in value. Only a few cars will ever go UP in value and the ones in this price range won't until many years later. I doubt this kind of car will.

No car is worth going into bankruptcy over. If this is not in his price range, he should not try and stretch to make it. If this is his "dream" car and it's his last chance to own one and he's pushing for it and sacrificing a lot of the other things he enjoys in life (or dipping into retirement accounts), then again, it's not worth it. Remember, not only is he going to have to pay for the car, but there is upkeep as well. Even if it's just tires, that's still 1-2k every year or two depending on brand. Yes, certain versions of this car will have a tire you will need to replace every 12k miles or so and they are expensive. Once you are out of the free service time, you are still looking at a lot of cash for routine maintenance, much less something like brakes.

That said, LOTS of cars these days cost 40k+ and some cost 45-55k at the same level of equipment as a BMW 535. You can get pretty pricey with certain versions of the Camaro, Mustang, Chevy SS, etc.

So, let's explore...WHY does your father want the BMW? Prestige, logo, status? Handling, power, refinement?

If he just wants it for the roundel and he's stretching for it, no, it's not worth it. There are better values out there these days. The Cadillac CTS, Chevy SS, Audi A6 3.0T, Lexus GS, Chrysler 300, Charger, Taurus SHO, and even some Kia/Hyundai models. etc. While I admit some (especially the dodge) will not have nearly the fit and finish of the BMW, nor the little qualities that scream BMW (quality of interior materials, sound proofing, etc.) they are still GOOD cars.

If he's looking at it because it's his dream car...sometimes you need to take a real hard look at that dream. BMWs can be rock solid reliable....or in the shop a lot. I would say more reliable than not, but it's hit and miss. My car was in the shop for injectors at 10k miles for a known issue. Others will never experience that issue. A dream can turn into a nightmare very quickly if you turn out to have one of the "problem children" (remember, BMW stands for Buy More Warranty) Personally, I think Lexus has a much better track record in terms of reliability, as does Acura and both can be had for less money.

Now, is he buying it because he can afford it, and probably has been able to for a while, but had other priorities (funding retirement, kids college education, building wealth/his business, etc) then maybe. Does he enjoy DRIVING his cars (to many, a car is a way to get from one place to another...if he falls into this category, look somewhere else) Does he want RWD performance/handling (for some, RWD is the only way to go)? If yes to these questions, then yes...BMW can be worth it, but please still look at others, including the BMW 3 and 4 Series Audi A6, Cadillac ATS and CTS, MB E series, and the Lexus GS. All of these are fine automobiles and should be considered. Also remember that each car will fit you differently. Some people like a plush ride. Others want sporty. Some want instant acceleration, others want low 1/4 times, and still others will want go-cart like handling. Find the car that's right for him, which means it may not be a BMW.

Finally, all cars are also compromises. We look at models in our price range and pick that which best suits us for that price point/fuel economy standard, luxury feel, etc. I am sure the Rolls Royce and Ferrari make fine cars....but I can't afford them. Therefore, the levels of luxury or performance in those vehicles are not something I would consider and I need to compromise down to a lower priced car.

To me, it sounds like this is either something he is worried about spending 60k on...or you are worried about him spending 60k on. If he can afford it, BMW is a great car and can offer the right people great driving experiences. If you can't, there other cars that can offer a very close experience at a much lower price point. Finally, if just looking for the badge and not the driving experience and is even slightly worried about the price....it's a bad deal and he should move on to a different dream.
Great, well thought out post! :thumbup:

Someone was allowed to sit on the couch, watch football and use his computer today. ;)

#13 ·
I love these threads.

#14 ·
Good observations so far. The question really is does your dad want to buy or would he lease. I get the impression he wants to buy the car. As noted, and certainly here, one can buy a Certified Service BMW with under 50K miles for a lot less than a new one. It is a personal choice. Does your dad want an absolutely, brand new BMW? IF so, one needs to look at the package he wants, quantify it in terms of value for him and cost and compare THAT with the A6 which may be the other choice. For a perceived 10 year purchase ie he keeps the car for ten years or more, I would personally buy a brand new auto, getting the most for the least and keep it in shape and drive it for the long haul. Lots of people on this site lease, which is a different ballgame. Happy shopping. I think the 535xi is an excellent choice and one i will consider seriously soon.
AL

#17 ·
In perspective of not being the driver of the purchase but the inheritor of family capital it should be the OPs interest his father would not choose a car with this kind of driving cost per mile. His own interest would be that his father only spends halve the money he needs for driving a BMW 5 series by acquiring a less expensive car and putting the conserved family capital away for a better sake. So advise him to get a standard Toyota, Volkswagen, or Hyundai. And spend the saved capital, by example, for education and study.

#18 ·
Sophisto, I got a good laugh out of your practical reply to this post. On the other hand, since I am more likely the age of the OP's father, I couldn't possibly agree with your advice. Dad should go for a 535xi. :)

#19 ·
If I had to do it all over again, and purchasing the car for a single driver use, meaning you dont have to have kids in the back all the time, I would wait for the 4 door 4 series to come out and go that route. Same power engine in a smaller lighter car, which I am assuming will be more agile and easier to move. IMO

#22 ·
From what i read a 4 door 4 series is coming, its bigger then the 3 and tiny bit smaller then 5 with same engine

Honestly i find it absurd that 3 series and 4 get same engine as 5, u end up paying more money to get smoked by a 20k cheaper car

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using BimmerApp mobile app

#21 · (Edited)
Yeah, I was also gonna suggest a 3 series. It's plenty big, leases for less, is faster, gets better mileage, and is more nimble. Mine's as big as my brother's old 5 series, and my father-in-law has an F10 535xi that he loves, but admit's it's "a boat", and prefers my F30 size. Have your father at least drive a 3 series.

#24 · (Edited)
Anyone who calls the F10 a boat is probably too young to know the difference.

Once upon a time I drove a 1981 Oldsmobile Delta 88. It was a little bigger than my 1978 Chevy Monte Carlo.

#28 ·

Not a bad looking car.

Wonder how the interior specs will look compared to the 5 series.

If any one has the 4 series specs, please post link.

#32 ·
Again, it's not yet released, nor even really introduced, so official specs are speculation. Here, though, is a thread to the order guide, which exists this early because dealers need to order their demos.

Short story on the 4 Series Gran Coupe:

• Mechanically equivalent to the 4 series coupe
  • Uses a stretched version of the 4 series coupe sheetmetal that enables a rear door
  • Lower center of gravity than the 3 series
  • Tighter suspension than the 3 series
  • Same interior as the 3 series
  • Will have the same engine choices as the 3 series, although BMW may use its introdcution to bring out a new version of the turbo I6 that will then end up in the 3 series also

#34 ·
In addition to the better interior quality of the 5 series there is the question of how the car rides. The 5 series may be called a "boat" but it is a cruise ship not a dingy. It is bank vault solid and quiet inside without a lot of noise from outside coming via the windows, chassis and suspension. If Granpa wants a quiet ride, and not a 'busy', albeit sporty ride, then is there any other choice? That is one reason why the 5er costs so much more. It costs more to manufacture. Caveat emptor.
Al
(grandpa and former rally driver--of some ill repute...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.