BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

GT bashed by a M5 ED'er and Jon

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Fish23 
#1 ·
I still lurk in the ED forum even after almost a year after my own ED. I found this interesting thread of an M5 re-delivery with the OP making the following comment. I'm not looking to start any flame war with this guy, just wanted to get some thoughts from fellow GT owners here. Much more interesting is his reference to comments made by Jon, Bimmerfest founder, who probably had a hand in a few GT deliveries of some folks in this forum.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658358

"Jon at BMW of Santa Barbara was just phenomenal as always. He picked me up right on time at the train station and drove me to the dealership in 5-Series GT. We made jokes on the way there, with him making the funny comment that the dealership uses the 5er GT as a shuttle because they simply cannot sell such an ugly looking car. Haha! He dropped me off right in front of my M5 and then went to go park the shuttle. "

#2 ·
The GT isn't for everyone....

Let's face it, the GT ain't for everybody. That is why you don't see them driving up and down the road like other 5 series vehicles.
Truth be told, I bought the car because it isn't popular. People see it and either love it or hate it. But "people" didn't buy my car, I did!!!

I will honestly say that the look of the GT grows on me more and more everyday. I own the car and I am still not 100% comfortable with the look of the car. I have found that certain colors make the car flow better. Dark colors, for example. My color, titanium silver, makes the car look boaty and turtle'ish. Again, all my opinion.

But I got my car fully, fully loaded at a price very reasonable to me.

My neighbor just got the new 650 BMW and paid around $80k. She told me out of her own mouth that she felt "robbed" because my car had way more (and I mean way more) options than hers, but was $30k cheaper! The GT, as big as it is, is just about as fast as her car.

Anyway, Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

If you need compliments for how sleek and sexy your car looks, you should've gotten a CLS and counted how many times you see that car on a day-to-day basis....too many times to keep count!

#3 ·
After getting out of the store today and walking towards my car, I saw a guy giving it a look over...he said nice car. Personally, it looks just fine from inside, and I can't really see it when it's in the garage...I think it was the best car for me at the time of purchase and that's all that counts.

#5 · (Edited)
I constantly receive compliments on my GT and the compliment/question I like....okay love most is, "Nice Car! What is it?".

#4 · (Edited)
I absolutely LOVE the look of the car and unlike most, it never had to grow on me. IMO, the GT fits a certain type of personality.....dare I use the words peculiar, non-mainstream, go against the grain, lead instead of follow types. Perhaps I am only speaking for myself and no one else. The same "ugly" comments were made about the Acura MDX when it debuted with the now signature Acura front end. Unlike the critics I thought the SUV was gorgeous, and still is. I agree with gt=hi&bye. An added perk for driving the GT is that you don't see them driving up and down the road. I purchased my GT in May and have only seen 3 since!

#6 ·
Last year when I picked up mine in Munich, and during 12 days in Europe I saw exactly three GT's. 1 in UK 2 in Germany. This year when I went back I'm not gonna say that they were as popular as a 5er but I did see a lot more 10+, especially in Munich, probably as many as 7ers.

Yes it is not an usual car, especially if one is not used to hatchbacks but it is big and in 550 trim it hauls ass just fine.

When I was shopping for one I was looking at the 750's and I got the same equipment for $25k less... with the same room. This thing is roomier than an X5, so whatever they say, I love it and can't wait until they come up with the M5GT (in my dreams)! Wouldn't that be something...

In the meantime enjoy your cars, who cares what ppl think...

#7 ·
I love the look of the GT, I'm in love with the idea of a Gran Tourismo/Grand Tourer, I consider my "slow" and "poor mans" F02 in that GT category as well. Perfect for long distance travel in comfort, that just eats the miles up.

But its looks are definitely polarizing and not for everyone. I think that its a positive thing, its a special car and it stands out. If I had a family and wanted a wagon, I'd seriously consider the F07.

The M5 is very understated, very minimal, only the quad exhausts and side gills would tell the casual observer its not a garden variety 528 with 20" wheels. So its funny they trash the F07, but at the end of the day, the GT probably gets more looks - both positive and negative than any F10 would.

Enjoy your car, its only for the distinct taste. Your car is brie to their cheddar :rofl:

#8 ·
Enjoy your car, its only for the distinct taste. Your car is brie to their cheddar :rofl:
@ChrisF02:
Nicely put. :thumbup:

@everyone else:
I guess I was just thrown off by the comment and felt I needed to share and get some acknowledgement that I am not crazy in loving my GT for what it is. I now have over 10K miles on it approaching the 1 year mark. Each and every one of those miles were driven in pure thrill and exhiliration. Every time I press that start button feels like the first time back in Munich. I am always in awe at the sheer driving experience I get when I press on that pedal.

I find it funny that whenever I put the GT in Sport+ mode my wife looks outside the window to see who I am about to pass. I find it pleasing that my kids enjoy the luxurious back seat which my son calls his spaceship (panoramic sunroof + dark night sky = space travel in luxury).

The GT is truly unique and I must also confess (like others here) that is a huge part of the allure it had when I first laid eyes on it. The value proposition just follows suit (features you get + ED delivery). All the practicality the GT affords me defines my proclivity for this particular BMW model. Maybe I should look at it this way: The GT is ahead of its time. People who hate it and call it ugly are close minded and approach vehicle ownership a certain way, while we GT owners are visionaries and are the "true drivers." ;)

#9 · (Edited)
Agree its not a car that everyone loves..
BUT.....

Over the years I have owned and M5, an M3, porsche turbo, and currently still have a C4S and a 356B all loaded and many with after market toys, in my stable...and yes every one of my 20 year old and 16 year old daughters boyfriends all oogle at the porsches....but without a doubt i get far more comments and compliments on my GT then ANY of my other cars past or present....

Love MY GT everyday..... wish they would make a GT-M
mp

#10 ·
to chris on the money...
to lex...me too love at first sight wanted one right away was glad i was in a lease on my x5 so had to wait just long enough for them to add xdrive and a few refinements to the 2012's
mp

#11 ·
Hi Fellows,

As a new GT 530d Owner from Vienna Austria I am happy to join this community.

I went for the GT because my main requirement for a car is COMFORT !
This means that since I am no longer in my thirties I want to get in and out of my car without any physical effort (and I don't want looking dogs through the window right into my eyes).
The last 15 or so years it was a RangeRover 4,6 HSE and several Vans (Renault Grand Espaces and a VW Sharan) - all with this throne-like seating position and ease of entry and exit :))

Since there is no longer the necessity of an SUV or VAN I looked around what it possibly could be and - tadaa - there was one and JUST one - the GT.
Everything else like Audi A7 or Merc just did not qualify (besides being still more expensive than a GT).

And since here in Europe those 8-Cylinder guzzlers are no longer political correct and the diesels have become extremely quiet, it of course had to be one of these.
Plus some options.... Here it is.

And the reason why I love the looks is easyly explained:
The most beautiful car I have owned (before the GT) was the Rover 3500 SD1 (from 1986 to 1993)
and if you compare the pictures you will understand why.....

Attachments

#12 ·
We just went over 11k miles on ours. Wife drives it 80% of the time and gets plenty of stares in traffic. I was picking up one of my detailing clients at a local Enterprise rental car yesterday, 3 of the employees came out and marveled at the GT.

Attachments

#13 ·
gm, I really think you should work on improving on the 20% that you get to drive your GT. I thought one had to be behind the wheel at least 50% of the time (and preferably more) to be a bona fide member of this forum. Will we be seeing some improvement? :)

#16 · (Edited)
I'd love to pimp more time in the GT, working 2 jobs 70-80 hours a week does not leave much play time.

Took a day road trip with a few friends up to outside of Nashville back in Sept on a Sunday to attend Emofest. I worked a 12 hour shift prior to our 6am departure, so I let them drive up and back while I napped in the back seat of the GT. It rained monsoon for an hour on the way back. I slept like a baby while my friend cruised at 80 without an issue. :dunno::D

#17 ·
gm, with those hours I can see your 'more GT time' dilemma. Enjoy what ever time you get, either from your schedule or your wife. :)

I have never been a passenger in my GT, always the driver, but it is certainly no surprise that you were so comfortable sleeping in the back seat ton your recent trip. That 7-series short wheelbase and the smooth drivetrain sure makes for a nice ride, doesn't it? My wife's 335 goes like hell but the ride is definitely less comfortable than my GT on any type of road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.