BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The "I'm looking/shopping for a 6 series" and have some questions thread....

241K views 399 replies 209 participants last post by  Six-Demon-Bag 
#1 ·
The "I'm looking/shopping for a 6 series" and have some questions thread....

what up fellas i just finished payin off this car ive had for a about 2 yrs. i see like 05 06 6ers for around 40 45. besides the sick look of the ride any body wanna add something to further convince. the price and looks got me already. Thanks.

#219 ·
Hi all,
New member, as I have never owned a BMW (but am thinking of surprising my wife with a used 6 series convertible). She is NOT a car nut, but loves the look of one we saw recently. My budget puts me looking at a 2005-2006 645 or 650 convertible. The one I am looking at now is a 2005 645 white convertible with 50,000 miles on it. Assuming the condition of the exterior/interior are up to par, are there any gotchas/recalls/expensive_things expected for that model at that mileage? It's an automatic tranny, if that maakes any difference.
Any and all tips are appreciated!

#220 ·
I would look for an 06 if you can swing it. That model had a motor upgrade that seems to have less issues than the 645 (i.e. Coolant pipe). I've had my '07 for about a year a half with no issues. Either way you (and she) are in for a treat.

#221 ·
Thanks mulchman. After looking into the term "coolant pipe", this led me to some other threads on here which frankly scared me in regards to the kinds of fun I might expect when it comes to repairs. Never having owned or really even looked at BMWs to buy before now, admittedly I am behind the curve. I figured the maintenance might be more than other cars....but that the reliability of the German made machines would be comparable to other makes we have owned (Honda, Mazda, etc). From looking at some of the potential gotchas (coolant pipe, gaskets, plastic pan cracks), it sounds like I'd be setting myself up for a lot of $$ outside of the normal car payments/insurance. We're not broke, but also not loaded to where we can constantly pay for unscheduled repairs, either.
One thing that's a bit confusing to me is that when looking at reliability figures on a site like Edmunds, the cars seem to get really high marks. Maybe this is simply a matter of the threads on "gotchas" with 6 series being very thorough to include any problems that you "might" see, and not will LIKELY see, but would welcome any thoughts on that as well.
I just know that if buying something for my wife, she would not welcome repeated problems from a car (no matter how nice it is when it's working properly), especially since she is usd to a vehicle where it has proven to be problem free.
Thanks again for the input!

#223 ·
i have a 2005 645 convertible and love it. only has 21,500 miles. third BMW and best ride ever. Left mercedes for good. also have a 2006 x5. If only United BMW in Roswell was a better dealership for service and had a real sales manager who knew the business I would have a third one. Price should be around 32 to 35k for the years you are looking at.

#224 ·
Hi guys, I'm looking at two similar CPO'ed 08's, both with around 38k miles, but not from BMW dealers. One of them has had, per the carfax, regular maintenance, and notably a battery replacement at around 29k miles. The other one's maintenance history is very sparse, seemingly had nothing done with it and just got sold as a CPO vehicle. I'm leaning towards the latter, particularly because it has about 8 months more of warranty left than the other, but should I be concerned that I'd shortly have to deal with the battery issues that plague so many of them myself? Or should I take it as a sign that it was likely well behaved and well taken care of?

#225 ·
A battery with an expense of $400 to $550 doesn't seem like that big of a deciding factor. The extra warranty period would provide some peace of mind and might be worth something if a covered repair popped up. If you have the VIN numbers and a friendly service advisor at your local BMW service dept., then you should be able to at least get a list of the BMW service(s) that were done while still under the 4yr/50K service coverage on both cars.

#231 ·
#232 ·
I recently purchased a 2008, 650 with 41K. I went for the coupe because I don't like convertible styling on most cars. I previously owned a 2005 545, 2001 525, and 1999 325. So the progression to a 6 was natural. So far it is performing well. This car is a little more front biased than my previous BMWs so it has some understeer. However I can say I get more compliments in the 6 than any other car. People take notice. The V8 in the 650 is better than the one in the 545. I hope the overall reliability is better, but i did get over 210K miles on the 545. Enjoy the car!!! It still drives better than most things out there.

#235 ·
Edmunds.com is fairly descriptive and useful for comparing model years. Wouldn't say there is any particular year to stay away from. Obviously, there were material changes made in 2006 and 2008, and then the newest model in 2012

#237 ·
Hey guys,
new to the 6 series world, thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2006 650i vert tomorrow. black/black auto, 54k miles, every option available as well as brand new 22" rims/ tires. He's firm on $26,500.

Is that a good deal or just ok? From what I've seen a lot of people are asking more, not sure what the actual market is though. Appreciate the insight!

#240 ·
Hey guys,
new to the 6 series world, thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2006 650i vert tomorrow. black/black auto, 54k miles, every option available as well as brand new 22" rims/ tires. He's firm on $26,500.

Is that a good deal or just ok? From what I've seen a lot of people are asking more, not sure what the actual market is though. Appreciate the insight!
If you do buy it, get rid of those 22's, they will give you issues in the future, trust me.

#239 ·
Re: The "I'm looking/shopping for a 6 series" and have some questions thread....

I paid $28,999 for my 2007 650I coupe 6 speed with 44k back in October 2012.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using BimmerApp mobile app

#241 ·
Hello, well I bought my 2005 BMW and I love the overall look of the car. It's just sexy period.

But...if anything goes wrong...man..that can be a killer. Maybe I just got a bad one without knowing it but it seems like I'm putting mine in the shop about every few months. A few months after I first bought her a little plastic piece in the Moonroof broke that cost me over a $1K to replace, my amp has gone out, I've had 2 separate oil leaks, the adaptive lights have just malfunctioned and there was something else that I can't remember right now. So it may be just my car and I hope others aren't having this issue but geesh I'm tired of things breaking down. It's about 8 years old right now and I'm wondering if that's when things start going bad especially with this model. But I drive mine regularly. It doesn't stay in the garage like I've heard some others do the 6 series.

Badgirl645

#242 ·
Go get it

I love my 06 650 droptop.
BWM El Cajon let me push the 13 for a week. I just returned it saturday..with alot of hesitation. when I got back in my 06...i was pissed, but I still love her, but if you get the 06 to 09. get the warranty. trust me. i just had 8000k of piston work and 3500 on a/c work. warranty covered the proned defections that will eventually happen.

#246 ·
2004 bmw 645

Hey all. So I'm in the market for a car and I've stumbled upon the BMW 6 series which I love. I found a 2004 645 coupe with about 71,000 miles on it and will be test driving it soon. It has a clean CARFAX but my only questions are, what problems are soon to come down the road? Any certain mileage reached where problems arise, and when would be my scheduled maintenance and regular services? I've read a lot of good reviews about how reliable these are but I'm curious if it remains even at higher mileage.

Also, how does this 645 compete with say a 2005 SL500 benz? Just wanted to know what to expect! Thanks!

#247 ·
Any major problems with 08 650I

I am looking at purchasing a 08 650i coupe with 45K KM. In 2010 the car was in an accident and recieved 20K in damage to the back right side so I am hesitant about buying. Should I be, looking the car over it looks like showroom inside and out. Also has a small ding in the drivers door but next to nothing for chips on the front bumper. The gap between the door and rear windows is a touch wider on the right side than the left. I can't find any evidence of taping off the car for repainting. Another thing I noticed was all the tires were cracked on the tread, not the sidewall which is where you would see cracks on old tires and that would coast about $2500.00 for new rubber. The purchase would not be from a BMW dealer so no warranty but the price of 38K Canadian sounds rather cheap. Looking at BMW dealers on the net the I found an 08 for 52K but it had 72K KM on it. I would prefer to purcahse from a dealer for the warranty but can't find any I like. I would also like to know if there are any major problems with the 08's. Any advice would be appreciated.

#248 ·
I am looking at purchasing a 08 650i coupe with 45K KM. In 2010 the car was in an accident and recieved 20K in damage to the back right side so I am hesitant about buying. Should I be, looking the car over it looks like showroom inside and out. Also has a small ding in the drivers door but next to nothing for chips on the front bumper. The gap between the door and rear windows is a touch wider on the right side than the left. I can't find any evidence of taping off the car for repainting. Another thing I noticed was all the tires were cracked on the tread, not the sidewall which is where you would see cracks on old tires and that would coast about $2500.00 for new rubber. The purchase would not be from a BMW dealer so no warranty but the price of 38K Canadian sounds rather cheap. Looking at BMW dealers on the net the I found an 08 for 52K but it had 72K KM on it. I would prefer to purcahse from a dealer for the warranty but can't find any I like. I would also like to know if there are any major problems with the 08's. Any advice would be appreciated.
Considering the size of the accident repair I still think you can talk them down a bit on price. The low KM are nice but I would take the car to a very good body shop to find out how big the repair was and to confirm it was fixed properly. Sometimes a large repair claim on CarFax ends up being a small accident that was fraudulently claimed as a major fix. If you are in the GTA I can recommend a good body shop.

If the tires are original then they will start cracking down inside the treads like you are seeing, not on the sidewall. I bought a set of '05 OEM wheels/tires to use for winters that were stored since new and the tires had small cracks at the bottom of the treads.

Tires will only cost you $1,200- $1,500 for a set if you go for non-runflats or $1,600 - $2K for runflats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.