BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Traffic Pro tuner not working correctly... any thoughts?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Betty///M 
#1 ·
I just installed a Traffic Pro last week and everything works great, except for the tuner. My last head unit, a Kenwood had the same problem. I assumed that the Kenwood tuner was defective, but now it appears that the problem lies somewhere else, as I doubt that two head units would have the same problems.

I can occasionally tune a channel, but not clearly. For the most part, the tuner scans through the entire FM band without getting a signal. I've verified that the antenna is connected to the head unit as well as the antenna base in the trunk. The antenna mast was recently replaced because the old one was cracked, but that didn't affect the problem.

The antenna base looks to be amplified. I'm question whether or not it's getting power or not. I'll test that tomorrow.

Does anyone have any suggestions on finding a fix?

#2 ·
Christian said:
I just installed a Traffic Pro last week and everything works great, except for the tuner. My last head unit, a Kenwood had the same problem. I assumed that the Kenwood tuner was defective, but now it appears that the problem lies somewhere else, as I doubt that two head units would have the same problems.

I can occasionally tune a channel, but not clearly. For the most part, the tuner scans through the entire FM band without getting a signal. I've verified that the antenna is connected to the head unit as well as the antenna base in the trunk. The antenna mast was recently replaced because the old one was cracked, but that didn't affect the problem.

The antenna base looks to be amplified. I'm question whether or not it's getting power or not. I'll test that tomorrow.

Does anyone have any suggestions on finding a fix?
Car is stock except for the head unit? Check for power at the antenna amp in the roof. It is also on the BMW radio connector pin 16.

#3 ·
Ron Stygar said:
Car is stock except for the head unit? Check for power at the antenna amp in the roof. It is also on the BMW radio connector pin 16.
Thanks for the input. All stereo/electronics are stock except for the head unit. Since my car doesn't have a roof, I assume I should check power at the antenna base/amplifier in the trunk? Look at part 2 in the attached image. That's where I plan to check power.

#4 ·
Christian said:
Thanks for the input. All stereo/electronics are stock except for the head unit. Since my car doesn't have a roof, I assume I should check power at the antenna base/amplifier in the trunk? Look at part 2 in the attached image. That's where I plan to check power.

Yes in the trunk. There is a 1/4 inch faston connector at the base of the antenna base right below the signal line.
My '97 318ti uses the same parts. I removed it and filled the hole when I installed the
MZ-3 coupe antenna which also supports phone on the ti roof.
--Amplifer retails for $91.25
--Antenna rod retails for 21.50
If yours turns out to be defective, I will sell the above two parts for $56.38 plus shipping.

#5 ·
Ron Stygar said:
Yes in the trunk. There is a 1/4 inch faston connector at the base of the antenna base right below the signal line.
My '97 318ti uses the same parts. I removed it and filled the hole when I installed the
MZ-3 coupe antenna which also supports phone on the ti roof.
--Amplifer retails for $91.25
--Antenna rod retails for 21.50
If yours turns out to be defective, I will sell the above two parts for $56.38 plus shipping.
Thanks Ron. I haven't had the opportunity to test the antenna amp yet, but if if has in fact failed, I may take you up on your offer.

#6 ·
To drag this thread up from the dead...

Several months ago I replaced the antenna amp with Ron's old one. The tuner now works better, but not great. If the car is parked, the reception is usually OK, but when I'm driving around the reception still has a fair amount of static.

I don't *think* the problem is the Traffic Pro, because my last head unit (Kenwood) has the same issue.

Is there any way to test coax cable that runs from the head unit to the antennal amp? Should resistance fall within a certain range?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.