BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2013 x5d order placed

8K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  TRIPLE_O 
#1 ·
Major options were premium package, sports activity, cold weather, and premium sound. I skipped adaptive drive in spite of all the advice to get it.

Negotiated 1K over invoice (about $62K), then took the $3K eco credit, $1.5K holiday cash,and $1K usaa discount. Should be built during the first or second week of December.

I'm considering calling on Monday to change to 20" wheels since I plan to find a used set of 18's or 19's for snow tires. Also need to settle on a hitch (dealer installed or self installed).

Looking forward to have Santa deliver our x-mas present...

#14 · (Edited)
We considered ordering a 2013 but weren't willing to wait.

We ordered a 2012 X5 35d to replace the one that the Atlantic Ocean decided to float away on us. Year end deals made it ALOT less painful. We ordered it almost exactly the same we just went for the Multi contour seats this time and aluminum trim interior. Dealer threw in Apps as well. Scheduled to finish production Nov 28. Guessing it will be by the dealer the following week....
PS: if anyone has delusions of driving one of these SAVs near salt water..... DON'T :cry::thumbdwn:

#19 ·
Hit the 'production begins' stage on the bmw website either yesterday or today. Good stuff. Still looking for a set of snows, probably going to install an execuhitch myself, and thinking about a clear-bra solution along with some darker window tint in the back.

Anyone know how long it takes once it hits production begins stage? Trying to judge how much time I have to line the other stuff up.

#21 ·
I dont know how the car will get to you...does it truck from Spartanburg direct to you in denver? Ask you salesman

Kudos on the hitch self-install too!:thumbup:

A

#24 ·
This car is for my wife but I'm still excited. Have rims (used 334s) for snows on the way along with new TPMS. Planning to have them powdercoated in satin black locally. Haven't settled on snow tires yet but there is plenty of time to pick tires. Bought some floor liners and (surprise for wife) blacked out kidney grills from getbmwparts. Looks like it'll be a good x-mas for our family. Planning to wait a little bit for the hitch since a) I don't have the time to install and b) I don't plan on towing my racecar until summer.

#28 ·
Wait, why does nearly every car feature post has to turn into a promotion for AD? Here is my take.

Get AD if you are the type of person that:

1. Loves curvy road more than straight line accelerations.
2. Loves more about technologies that makes a car drives better than the electronic gadgets that interface with you.

Don't get AD if you drive most of the time in straight line. The only difference you will feel is the suspension setup. You can get around that by getting 18" tires or 19". 18" gives you more air = more cushion over bumps.

It is that simple. I love the curves. I really don't care much for straight line accelerations as long as it gets me in freeway merging in reasonable speed. Some people like 0-60, that is why they get biggest engine out there to feel the accelerations.

On a side note, I tried sports seat and multi-contour seats. I like the standard seats. I can be comfortable for a very long time.

#31 ·
Wait, why does nearly every car feature post has to turn into a promotion for AD? Here is my take.

Get AD if you are the type of person that:

1. Loves curvy road more than straight line accelerations.
2. Loves more about technologies that makes a car drives better than the electronic gadgets that interface with you.

Don't get AD if you drive most of the time in straight line. The only difference you will feel is the suspension setup. You can get around that by getting 18" tires or 19". 18" gives you more air = more cushion over bumps.

It is that simple. I love the curves. I really don't care much for straight line accelerations as long as it gets me in freeway merging in reasonable speed. Some people like 0-60, that is why they get biggest engine out there to feel the accelerations.

On a side note, I tried sports seat and multi-contour seats. I like the standard seats. I can be comfortable for a very long time.
I disagree about your more air = more cushion with RFTs. The difference in ride with 18s and 19s on RFTs with standard suspension is moot. Add AD into the mix and it smooths things out.

#29 ·
It is all a preference thing...seats, wheels, AD, and color. There are plusses and minuses on everything. 35d = +economy(sometimes) +torque +ecodiscount -noise -maintenance -acceleration -6spd. AD = ...

I didn't drive AD but from the reviews I read, it seemed like an important thing to get (+ride quality, +handling) even though it drives up future maintenance costs and costs a lot up front.

#34 ·
Great experience at the dealer today. All went as planned and the car is as expected if not better.]
Nice! Looks about the same as our '11. I tinted the windows, added a clear bra and swapped out the front amber reflectors. Also installed an oem hitch.

Where did you find the winter wheels?

#33 ·
I have driven the 2010 with 18 RTF and switched to non-RTF as the ride was a little rough with RTFs. Specially, in the back seat.

My primary reason for trading that in for 2012 35d was to get the AD, diesel, and multi-contour seats.

To test what difference AD would make - straight line or not, I conducted a small test. Before, I handed keys to the 2010 to the dealer, I drove both SAVs (old and new) on the same road. The drive characteristics were very different. AD has a huge advantage over the non. It is very apparent and my body thanked me and will continue to do so.

I do have to mention that I have neck and back issues. So, any ride quality change for the better/worse will be very noticeable to me.

I think it is worth the extra money. I wish I had not gotten the tech package as it is not worth the money.

#37 ·
I've heard a lot of good things about the execuhitch. I did some coding for a guy in DC and he was showing me how it is fitted, etc. Looks really clean and probably one of the better options. Also you are correct, do not get it coded by the dealer because you can do it yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.