BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

timing chain noise

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Bearybear1 
#1 ·
may as well start a new thread on this.

i have a noise coming from the front of the valve cover that sounds exactly like a timing chain slapping the valve cover. it's the slap slap sound is consistent with the rpm's, and it never goes away. so far, i've changed both chain tensioners. the vanos unit is original (204k miles), and is still working. i don't think it's the vanos, though, because it doesn't sound like the marbles-in-a-tin-can sound i hear on those youtube videos. it's been going on for 10s of thousands of miles. as far as i can tell, it's just typical noise, but i'd just rather it go away.

so this is my question: is it the timing chain getting too old? or is it a less common noise from the vanos that the good ol' doctor can fix? thanks

#5 ·
i get the odd tiick lasts a 30 secs and goes then comes back when it likes,i dont care as its common and its on a 95 plate! as long as it drives 100% looks fresh the odd tick now and again, u never hear with the door and windows closed,,if its really bad in side well i guess thats diffrent, id proberly sell it for a diffrent one?! always do a oil change first that does help maybe a 15/40 oil + on most cars a thicker oil stops it but some times makes it worse? :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.