BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
6M views 104K replies 316 participants last post by  tim330i 
#1 ·
There has been a bunch of OT threads lately, so i think we should try to keep it all the ot talk in one place. I know the e36 forum rocks, and all the other forums suck big time :bigpimp:, yet we need to stay on topic....

#55,141 ·
My co-worker sent this to a few of the guys I work with with the subject "Topless Joey"

I was so skeeved out opening the attachment. :eeps: :rofl:

#55,142 ·
Sama, yes, the UTQG rating is the (manufacturer's own) rating for treadwear. A track tire is typically between 100-200. Higher is longer lasting.

#55,143 · (Edited)
But wouldn't you want a softer tire for more grip? The GT's are rated at 460 but grip is AA, the ecsta's I have currently have treadwear at 400 and grip A :dunno:

Oh, and is that the regular going price for those tires on that site? It'd suck if I miss out on a sale or something since I wont be getting anything till my current tires die completely :eek:

#55,145 ·
I would have to agree with you on that one lol I remember when i ran my DS1s I had a staggered set (of tires) and I kinda liked the look. Had 215/45/17 in the rear and 205/40/17 in the front. Those were the sizes I settled on :)

You might even drop a little up front depending on tire height

#55,146 ·
Yea...Im just gonna go with the 225/45's front b/c going to 215/45's will drop my car 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch up front according to some tire calculations...dont want my front bumper that low to the ground...guess will run the stock staggered set up of 225/45 up front and 245/40 rear.

#55,149 ·
You guys.

More tire = more grip = more awesomeness.

Also, running a staggered tire forces our beautifully neutral chassises into understeering. Run a square setup and learn how to push her buttons and get the rear to talk back a lil' bit. :D

I run a 235/40/18 for the street, I'll run a 255/40/17 when I get back to autocrossing.

#55,150 ·
I dont want my bumper to scrape at auto cross sunny :) Plus right now I can barely get in my driveway.
lol im just pullin your leg! Function over form mang :thumbup:
You guys.

More tire = more grip = more awesomeness.

Also, running a staggered tire forces our beautifully neutral chassises into understeering. Run a square setup and learn how to push her buttons and get the rear to talk back a lil' bit. :D

I run a 235/40/18 for the street, I'll run a 255/40/17 when I get back to autocrossing.
Yeah, I wasn't into performance with my e36.. Low and slow was how it was done on that car lol. Im currently running a square setup on my e30 and I love it. Ever since this car, i noticed I changed my ways a bit :eeps:

#55,151 ·
With my rear there is no way I could run wider than 245's...I don't want to roll fenders...Up front I could not run wider than a 225...and I dont want 225's on rear. Wish I could run 245's all around.

#55,152 ·
Why can't you run 245s out back? You're on OEM wheels, and the OEM rear tires size for M3s was 245/40. And lowering your car only helps fit a wider tire in the back due to increased negative camber. I have 245s on my car, and my wheels have a lower offset than yours (by 1mm, I believe), and I didn't roll my fenders.

#55,154 ·
Why can't you run 245s out back? You're on OEM wheels, and the OEM rear tires size for M3s was 245/40. And lowering your car only helps fit a wider tire in the back due to increased negative camber. I have 245s on my car, and my wheels have a lower offset than yours (by 1mm, I believe), and I didn't roll my fenders.
This. 255's should even fit with a small spacer and roll.

#55,156 ·
But wouldn't you want a softer tire for more grip? The GT's are rated at 460 but grip is AA, the ecsta's I have currently have treadwear at 400 and grip A :dunno:

Oh, and is that the regular going price for those tires on that site? It'd suck if I miss out on a sale or something since I wont be getting anything till my current tires die completely :eek:
Yes, that seems to be the regular prices there.

For grip yes, usually. Though I know from experience that I put those particular tires through their paces and then some.

Jesse, I agree with Sama, that height is perfect.

Joey, always form follows function. If it is purpose built and does its job well, it'll be pretty in its own right.

#55,158 ·
lol im just pullin your leg! Function over form mang :thumbup:

Yeah, I wasn't into performance with my e36.. Low and slow was how it was done on that car lol. Im currently running a square setup on my e30 and I love it. Ever since this car, i noticed I changed my ways a bit :eeps:
I can't really hate on low and slow. I do daily an E36 M3 on all seasons afterall. :p I've just always preferred a good meaty tire and a square setup.

With my rear there is no way I could run wider than 245's...I don't want to roll fenders...Up front I could not run wider than a 225...and I dont want 225's on rear. Wish I could run 245's all around.
Dude 245s should fit all around no problem, you might just need to run a different spacer up front. Even so, rolling a fender is super easy and you can't tell it's been done unless you're lying on the ground. My 245 +40s rubbed a little, with a proper fender roll I'd feel pretty confident about running a 255.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.