BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

thoughts about 2011 b7 or s63

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Wilassasin 
#1 ·
New member here....
All things considered, would you guys go with a 11 b7 CPO or 2011 s63 amg? I have never owned MB, but read that the s63 is a maintenance nightmare. The alpina seems far more attractive price price. I am uncertain as to which would be the better performer of the two. Any input, advice or guidance is much appreciated.

#2 ·
Is the Merc CPO as well? It depends on what you like as the performance is roughly the same, maybe the AMG is a tad faster.

The B7 is rare, even out in west LA. I see droves of AMG Benzs but not the same amount of Alpinas. It has a more polarizing look, which might turn off those trophy housewives.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#3 ·
Alpina... very rare to see them out and about, I have seen a couple of S63's on the freeway out here, and have only seen 1 Alpina this entire time... and I followed it like a fat kid in a candy store taking pics of it....

#4 ·
MB's are a German Buick. Period. Nuf said. If you're an older dude, 57+, then I'd say go with the MB. If you're 57 or younger, b7.

Just my 2c and I have nothing against MBs, and own a GL550 myself.

#7 ·
Having owned a CLK63 and a E63, I can honestly say power is about equal with the B7, Alpina's power comes in sooner , but on the top end mutivalve 6.2L pulls harder. My B7 is a 6 speed auto, it's smoother compare to the MB 7 speed. Actually I hated the AMG's transmission, it was very jerky. 2011 Alpina may have the new 8 speed which is even better compare to my 6 auto.
Suspension calibration is best attribute of the B7, coil springs and shocks, unlike the AMG air suspension which eventually will fail. It's simple and it works perfect, in standard mode very comfortable, once you switch to sport mode it transforms into a little sports car. Alpina's suspension is light years ahead of the AMG in almost every aspect. Brakes are great on both.
As for reliability my CLK was a horrendous car, had better luck with the E63, but be warned, once you drop your car off for service they will get you. Don't be shocked if the service advisor comes up $1000 bill.
I've had my B7 for 2 1/2 years, I still enjoy my car just as the first day I bought it. Had one mechanical issue, dealer ended up replacing the injectors and plugs, it's been trouble free every since.

If you want a full size luxury sport sedan I would look no further, Alpina pretty much wrote the book on tuning BMWs.

#8 ·
S63's have the ABC suspension which I consider superior to what BMW or Alpina has to offer. Sounds like your E63 wasn't a TT either. MB's V8TT's have 150 pound-feet more torque than the B7
There are qualities to either car, but as mentioned before, the B7 will stay current longer as the S is already EOL.
A rare car with better resale value than the MB.

#11 ·
Essentially It's the same drivetrain all the way down to the gear ratios, there may be ECU's may be different but thats about it, suspension on the S , SL, CL are different then the E and Clk. after all they are bigger wider heavier cars. My business partner drives a 08 CL65, and i have plenty of seat time behind it, comparably speaking Alpina's ride is softer , steering is quicker, it feels lighter on it's feet when driving through the twisties.

#14 ·
haven't driven a 650 or the M5, even though SWB B7 is couple hundred lb heavier, still has more HP & TQ the the 6 series, so yes. Would it hold it's own against the M5? don't think so. If acceleration is your main priority look for a E55, S55 variant over a S63. Forget the factory SAE advertised hp figures, seen quiet a few AMG 55s on chassis dyno making way more power then claimed.

#16 ·
That's a tough choice. The b7 you definitely see less of but that Benz is hard to pass up. I say test drive both, compare all the options and pull the trigger on the one you want most!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.