BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

No 535i x drive? Why?

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  FastMarkA 
#1 ·
After the winter we've had and I've got 2 BMWs with RWD and winter tires (16") I'm still frustrated. I'm thinking about going to x drive. I am getting the 535 sedan next year, but I just discovered there's no stick shift for that car? WTF? You're kidding me? Why not?
I think I'm done with rwd cars for now...even with snow tires.

Now what am I to do? Hope that in '12 they come out with a 535i x drive in a stick?

#2 ·
After the winter we've had and I've got 2 BMWs with RWD and winter tires (16") I'm still frustrated. I'm thinking about going to x drive. I am getting the 535 sedan next year, but I just discovered there's no stick shift for that car? WTF? You're kidding me? Why not?
I think I'm done with rwd cars for now...even with snow tires.

Now what am I to do? Hope that in '12 they come out with a 535i x drive in a stick?
Don't hold your breath Doc.

#3 ·
Didn't realize that you couldn't get a 535i with x-drive and an MT. Wow that sucks. You can get an Acura TL with SH-AWD and a 6MT. :rolleyes:

#5 ·
Acura also comes as a Japanese model :). Can't get that on a BMW!

#4 ·
I appreciate that you prefer to have a manual stick, but I really do not think that you would be disappointed with the automatic transmission. The performance of the automatic transmission in the F10 is very impressive. It is actually kind of fun to sit in the vehicle, hit the throttle, and then watch the automatic transmission go to work. I read somebody's opinion on another thread that you probably can not outperform the automatic transmission with a stick no matter how good of a driver that you are.

#6 ·
The 8 speed ZF sport automatic with paddle shifters will almost certainly outperform a 6 speed manual transmission in a 535i xDrive. I have that auto transmission on my 550i xDrive and had the 6 speed manual on my E39 M5. There is no comparison. I would never trade the ZF 8 speed auto for a 6 speed manual.

#7 ·
The ZD average shifting time is 200ms (0.2sec). Ya really can't do that with an MT.

#8 ·
No way I'm going to an automatic. I used to have a volvo S60R in a stick and AWD and that was a fun car...granted it was a volvo but I loved that car.

I guess I could stick with the 535i rwd in a stick and then deal with swapping winter tires some more but I really don't want to. Audi A6 doesn't come in a stick for '12 does it?

#10 ·
#15 ·
The market for AWD cars with MT dwindled to the point where BMW saw it as pointless to certify for the US. Similar story with the 528i: most of these folks lease and want an autobox. So BMW put an option of MT in the two most likely models for enthusiasts to buy: the rear drive 535i and 550i.

Sales numbers speak louder than complaints on forums or letters written to corporate.

#18 ·
I had a 6SP 535xi E60, and while I enjoy driving manuals, I was really bored of the manual in that car.

The 5 is a big car no matter how well BMW engineers its handling and performance capabilities.

The manual experience didn't even compare to those I had in my S4s or 335. The 535 felt like a school bus.

I'm very happy with my SAT in my F10. I will get another manual vehicle some day, but it will be something smaller and more sporty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.