BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Test drove a '12 535xi today. Wow

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  jaisonline 
#1 ·
While the '09 E350 was getting routine maintaince , I drive their loaner down the street to a BMW dealer. I wanted to checkout the new 5.

I took a 535i with AWD on a long test drive. All I have the say is WOW. Everything was perfect, steering response, throttle, firm ride that hugged the road.
It didn't even have the sports package! It felt like I was driving my e46 again (granted, that was a manual trans) but with more power.

I'll keep my Mercedes for a few more years and then buy a 535xi preowned.

This is the best car I ever driven. Period.

#5 ·
Well, my '09 w211has the same engine as your friend's '10 w212. I believe weight is similar for both MBs in AWD version. The main diff is they upgraded the AWD version to a 7 sp trans. Only non - AWD '09s had that.

When comparing my E350 to the '12 535ix I just drive, performance itself isn't all that noticeable (about a 35 diff for each HP and Torque) especially for straight road acceleration. One can tell the BMW has a little more 'umph' but it isn't jaw dropping. The curb weight is also comparable.

What really made me go "wow" when comparing it to my car was the far superior trans shifting points and smoothness ( note: I hate automatics so this is a huge compliment coming from me). Corner handling is also better especially when holding or increasing speed. Due to the interior layout, handling, and trans combo, I felt more engaged with the BMW than I ever have with my E350. It really did sorta feel like I was back in my e46 but without a manual.

Bottom line is that i enjoy my w211 E350. However, the latest 5er is better or equal in nearly every aspect than the w211. Regarding the w212 (w/ the 268 HP engine), it gets killed by the new 5 in every aspect.

As a youngster, I workd at Del. Ave nightclubs during the late 90s and drove all sorts of higher end cars. I have also driven many cars this decade as a consumer including a Porsche Paranarama (or whatever it is called) and that car was built to be drivn despite its appearance . I thought the Porsche was the best. Nope. The 535xi is.

#3 ·
Glad you were happy with the ride! I've had 3 BMW's, 2-3's and now a 535i, all without sport. They handle better, even without sport, than "sporties" will admit, IMO. That said, my 5 handles just about as well as my previous E90, quite a feat for a larger, heavier car.

#6 ·
In what, at times, seems like a sea of negativity around here, thanks for the complimentary words. I think that some posters sometimes lose sight of the fact that they bought or leased their F10's for a reason.

#8 ·
I agree.

I am also one of the people who fell in love with the way the car drive the very first time I test drove it.

Despite all the negativity, it is STILL the Ultimate Driving Machine! :thumbup:

#7 ·
This is the best car I ever driven. Period.
jaisonline says this is the best car he's ever driven. I agree completely. I've had five BMW's, and a number of other interesting cars over the years (see album for representatives), and my reaction after a month with my new 535xi is exactly the same. While nothing is perfect (even me!), I too feel that overall this is my best car ever.

#9 ·
Until the F10, I never 'looked' for a reason to get in my car and drive for the sake of driving. Absolutely the best car ever, and I couldn't agree more on "shift points and smoothness." Most important of all: after a year of ownership, she keeps on getting better.

#10 ·
Since purchasing this f10 I now have 3 loves in my life:

1. My daughter
2. My business
3. My f10

#16 ·
One thing I noticed in the current E350 is the shockingly constricted space in the passenger foot well in the 4maitic car. The rear seats are nice enough (no better than ours) but the front passenger is going to feel positively claustrophobic. I was really shocked at how bad that was. I'd be interested is hearing feedback from others who have taken the current gen E class 4matic out for a spin.

#18 · (Edited)
I ride in a friends's 4Matic w212. Yes. The trans and AWD components take up a nice portion of both driver and pass footwell. However, it was worse in the w211. So bad that I couldn't even install the pass side storage cargo net in my car (right side of the trans tunnel). Bad.

#17 ·
My 550 is the first BMW I have owned, its been a couple weeks now, and I have to say it's pretty freaking awesome. I especially enjoyed having the little punk kid with his blacked out 335xi pull up half a car length behind me as if he wasn't going to race...I let him take off and then I floored it catching up to him and wiping that smug smile behind his tinted windows off his face! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.