BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Is over $5K below invoice a good deal on a 2013 335i Coupe ?

4K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  CALWATERBOY 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I wrongly posted this in the F30 forum so here it is now in the correct forum.

Got a deal on a 2013 Space Gray, auto, M Sport, Premium, Premium audio, Navigation, comfort access, heated seats, Sat radio, BMW Apps.

MSRP is ~ $55,795, Invoice is ~$51,305. My price: $46.5K before a possible $750 loyalty incentive so maybe $45,750 or $5,555 below invoice for a 2013 with 40 miles on the odometer.. Seems too good to be true for a 2013 but it is legit.. I'm new to the BMW world so not sure how much dealers actually make from a sale... I've been looking for a girlfriend so maybe the sales manager likes her or something lol...

Is this a good deal? FYI she does not like the interior on the F30 though not sure about the rest of the car. Are similar deals possible on any F30s? I suspect the F32 won't have such a deal for some time after it is released.

Thanks

#2 ·
If you add tax, licences and registration, depending on whetre you live; it might go back to 50k+.
The good deal part will be the amount of option you will get for the price. Look at the pricing on all of the options included in the car and then go from there.
Go to edmunds or truecar and optioned your bmw then, compare.
Good luck.

#3 ·
Thank you so much for replyinh. I did all of that. Tax at most is 6.25%. Title and License isn't huge. Regardless it is the same for all cars.

As for options, I've seen all of them, this car has exactly what my friend wants, and it is way below invoice. While I use Edmunds as a reference their TMV isn't reliable imo and has never been accurate for me or my friends, at least here in Houston. The TMV on this car and even the 2012 shows a price that is way higher than it should... Obviously the TMV for this car is pretty low.

What I am asking is for current owners who actually have bought the car and know something about it to chime in and say yay or nay. To me it seems really good but I'm not up to speed on the pricing of BMWs and if invoice is even a real number. I paid MSRP on my GT-R and 4-1/2 years later is it still worth !90% of the purchase price - that's a great deal. :)

Anyway I think she's going to pull the trigger but she'd like some reassurance before she does. I told her it is a great deal.

#4 ·
If it helps, when I was looking in 2010, it took me 4 months of searching multiple state's to find a similar deal on a very similarly equipped new 2011 335 coupe. I would say it is a pretty darn good deal! :)

#5 ·
Its a pretty solid deal, but the F32 is coming out in the next 6 months. Even new, you can still get deep discounts on new models. One thing for sure though, the current coupes will keep dropping in price as it gets close to the F32 release. That car may be $7k below MSRP next month, who knows...

#6 ·
Good price, if thats the model you need go for it. Yes the prices will continue to fall esp when there are new models coming out. What you have to think is is the additional 1-2k worth it to wait? or mark it as the price you paid to drive the car for the next few months.

#7 · (Edited)
You just gotta bite the bullet and buy it. Sounds like a solid deal. If you get a good deal on a new BMW and don't find anything comparable or better in the next few days, do it. Rest assured though, as soon as you buy it, you will find a better price a few days later but you won't know the whole story on the car, just the price. If you are confident on this one and have done the research, feel good, you should be good to go and don't look back. I can't wait to get in and drive mine EVERY time!!! Be prepared to want to clean the brake dust off the wheels every other day though! Get some SONAX wheel cleaner. That's what bothers me the most but it sure looks sweet sitting there all cleaned up :)

2009 335i JB4 29K

#8 ·
Thanks, my friend is buying it tomorrow - $45,750 with a $51,305 invoice price. At what point does the price fall below the actual dealer cost? Surely the dealer is still making money on this... Anyway I know it is a good deal and she'll be ecstatic!

#10 ·
At what point does the price fall below the actual dealer cost?
No one really ever knows. You can usually find average costs that a dealer would pay for a given car, but not for specific cars. It varies like the wind.

The dealer or BMW both have stocking pressure that alters the price, even down to specific models on specific days. It depends on how big the dealer is. Dealers also buys cars from each other, and that price can be anything. Dealers also sell to the aftermarkets such as rental agencies. There's also tax rules and incentives that change the equation.

I suppose IF a dealer had a full lot, AND had no chance of selling the car, AND no other dealer would take it, AND BMW wouldn't give them a buyback, AND they couldn't find a rental company that wanted it, THEN they would sell below purchase price. But that seems like a rare thing.

#12 ·
OK. How the heck did you get 5k below invoice? This is definitely a trick you gotta tell us. Or just tell me ;)

#15 ·
BMW Pricing

The dealer makes money on the "front end" and "back end" The invoice mark up is the front end money. He can sell below dealer cost and still make money on the back end which is his Hold Back Money. The Hold Back Money is several percent of the gross price of the vehicle which the dealer is paid by BMW if they have a good CSI and meet all the BMW dealer criteria. The dealer also has the oppertunity to sell you after market warranties and vehicle extras in F&I that are big money makers. The dealer ALWAYS makes money in the end.

#17 ·
The dealer makes money on the "front end" and "back end" The invoice mark up is the front end money. He can sell below dealer cost and still make money on the back end which is his Hold Back Money. The Hold Back Money is several percent of the gross price of the vehicle which the dealer is paid by BMW if they have a good CSI and meet all the BMW dealer criteria. The dealer also has the oppertunity to sell you after market warranties and vehicle extras in F&I that are big money makers. The dealer ALWAYS makes money in the end.
+1 That's why your Kung Fu must be strong when negotiating a deal. Research research research! :typing:

#16 ·
I don't think bmw had a dealer hold back . good info though..

can you believe....my friend's new car got hit and damaged parking lot last night. the perp left a note and actually filed the incident with her insurance right away. so refreshing to see some integrity... thankfully all the damage is on the tail light and bumper. no sheet metal damage..

#23 · (Edited)
Trunk money on a model that is going out of production.[/QUOTE]

Yesterday I windowed shopped for a 2012 328i coupe. This one was Mineral White Metallic with Cream Beige Leather, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Nav, Comfort Access, BMW Apps, Sat Radio, M Sport Suspension, and Harmon Kardon Sound. The dealer quoted $3950 below invoice loyalty credit of $750 included. MSRP $48560 and Invoice $44655. The CA stated the price discount included $3200 in trunk money. He also stated that the price could fall further at the end of the month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.