BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

ABS, DSC, BRAKE lights coming on

13K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  archhist88 
#1 ·
Every once in a while, my car's ABS will kick in for no reason like for example, when I'm slowly moving through a parking lot. Then the ABS, DSC, and BRAKE lights will come on, indicating a system failure and therefore shutting down those systems.

This is becoming a problem because its winter and I refuse to buy winter tires and the DSC and ABS are the only reasons why I am even able to drive this thing.

Does anyone know why these might be malfunctioning? The ABS usually works fine, but sometimes it just engages for no reason when it shouldn't, then de-activates the whole system. I'm sure its some sensor somewhere thats causing this to malfunction.

Any input?

#2 ·
Hi.... I just replaced my speed sensor in mine, it STILL did not fix the problem. This is a pretty annoying thing eh? So I spent the $300 and still not fixed. They said they could replace all the sensors and it would probably cost in the thousands.... so I said, I will just drive safe this winter. So if you get your problem looked at..... PLEASE let me know what you changed to fix it. Thank-you and good luck

#4 ·
I 'am facing the same problem. No winter problem here. Th elowest it gets in Dubai is 15degree celcius. The ABS lights cam on just like that . But with that my speedo & KM reader dosent work either. Some time the lighst are off. But if u bake all goes of again.

I would too like some more info.

#6 ·
I have the same problem just started like a month ago I thought at first that after I had my VANOs fixed they disconnected something accidently but when I had it check the dealership told me that it was the DSC module that was bad and it would cost me $1100 so I'm still looking for a cheaper solution.

#7 ·
recommend modulemaster... they'll either fix it or give you your $300 back. Gavin seems pretty bright, and has made a pretty good business out of fixing BMW ABS modules.

Not that I'm an expert, but I can't imagine how the VANOS issue would be connected to the ABS issue, barring a low battery / bad charging issue.

#10 ·
Jon,

At risk of hijacking the thread... and I have searched and not found meaningful info...

Long story short - modulemaster rebuilt mine, still have the lights (BRAKE, ABS, and the middle icon), and modulemaster says that the unit just needs to be reprogrammed. Everything works fine now (except the actual ABS/DSC/traction control). Question... what does the dealer actually need to do to "reprogram"? Yes, I got my original module back. Does 1.5 hrs make sense, to test and reprogram?

Thanks!

#13 ·
10 months later and its still intermittently giving me the ABS/DSC/Brake light.

I'll probably send the ABS module off to have it rebuilt. I just removed it and all the connections look perfect so I don't know what I can do myself. But in the past 10 months, it always does this after we had a lot of moisture. If my car sits out in the rain for a day, the next morning (I park underground) the lights come on and stay on for a couple days. Then they go away for a month or two.

#19 · (Edited)
im having the same problem with mine....and its a '00 528i like most on here. i used a code reader from my uncles auto shop and im told its the speed sensor(s). please update because im subscribing to this thread.

Also, on OEMbimmerparts.com have a ABS module repair kit with DSC for $479 and ASC for $599....would that help?

#20 ·
Lights Out! Just received my ABS module back from bba-reman and the brake/ABS/DSC/Check Engine Soon lights all went out. The lights came on 15 minutes after I signed all papers at the dealership. Took it to my local indy who checked all the codes. First the right rear wheel bearing, then the left rear wheel bearing, then the left rear sensor. Then the right rear sensor. I finally said enough and took the car back. $225 later bba-reman did the electronic work and all is fine. If all is good a month from now I will probably remove the dash cluster and have them fix the pixels for another $300.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.