BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Heated front seats retrofit for vinyl E53?

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Scott ZHP 
#1 ·
Hello, everyone, long time reader as a guest, but just took the plunge to register. here is my question: I am a proud new owner of a base model 2004 3.0i E53 with leatherette (vinyl) interior. The car is great, but the only thing I am really missing is heated front seats. We go skiing almost every weekend, so heated seats would make a huge difference on those early mornings. I was wondering if it is possible to install the heated seats as a retrofit. I would like to stay to the OEM parts and look as much as I can. Thnaks in advance,

Alex

P.S. I looked over the web some and there is lot of conflicting info, some say it will cost $160, others say it will require new seat cushions and would run up to $3K, so clealry I am not understanding all the details.

#2 ·
Your cheapest solution is to go aftermarket. It's basically a flat square heating mat which tucks in under the foam and above the metal support frame of your seat bottom. BMW does not offer heated seats if you have a vinyl interior; only on leather or alcantara. Not sure why because Mercedes has been doing this for years. Alternatively, your other solution may be to find used X5 seats with the heating elements in it and strip them for your own seats. It's a lot of sweat equity but would give you OEM heated seats.

#5 ·
BMW does not offer heated seats if you have a vinyl interior; only on leather or alcantara.
Not true.

I ordered my E53 new and it has 'ette and heated seats.

#3 ·
Thank you very much for response. Are the aftermarket seat heater products safe to use on the car? Also, are there any recommendations for the aftermarket seat heating kits, I would prefer to go for something that is good and proven even if it is not the cheapest solution... What do I have to look for in the aftermarket kit?

I don't want to have mismatched seats and interior, so going fully OEM would mean a new interior. How much would that cost typically? My sense is that it will be prohibitively expensive.

#4 ·
Thank you very much for response. Are the aftermarket seat heater products safe to use on the car? Also, are there any recommendations for the aftermarket seat heating kits, I would prefer to go for something that is good and proven even if it is not the cheapest solution... What do I have to look for in the aftermarket kit?

I don't want to have mismatched seats and interior, so going fully OEM would mean a new interior. How much would that cost typically? My sense is that it will be prohibitively expensive.
I would not go aftermarket.

BMW market an EBA retrofit kit for adding heated seats to the E53. The console switch is: 61318373740 ($192). I have a spare laying around that I'd sell for a fraction of that. Mine had factory heated seats, but I retrofitted PDC and the kit came with a new console switch.

You will need heated seat pads as well. The bottom is 52107245511 about $535 (ea). Not sure about the backs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.