BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1996 328is misfire problem. I really need some help.

12K views 69 replies 8 participants last post by  drivinfaster 
#1 ·
So im showing random misfire, misfires in cylinder 1, 2, and 3. When im driving, the car will run perfect. Smells a little rich. Then it will start hesitating, when I get on it, it will hesitate at low rpms, then clear up at high rpms. When i come to a stop the idle will drop low like its going to stall out, then come back up.. I can feel when it random misfires, idles rough, sputters when idling and accelerating and feels sluggish. If I shut the car of for about 30 seconds and start it again it will run fine. Ive replaced the spark plugs, no oil in the wells, replaced coil boots, coils tested fine, replaced cam sensor, replaced a cat, new ccv valve and breather hose. Replaced the fuel filter as well. Im at a loss of why it keeps doing this. Anyone have any ideas? Im tired of replacing things that dont fix the problems.

#60 ·
That would be rad. Im passing on guy who wants $100 for it. I might order the ebay one from a parts car. Depends how business goes today. Im a tattooer, so I only make commission. Because its slowing down for the holidays im trying my hardest to not blow all the money on my car hahaha

#63 ·
Beat me to it DF. I was gonna post a bottle of ink. hnaz you can check out my Instagram @daltonrogerstattooer.

Back to the car, I read that the DME storage drains get plugged up. I do remember back in May at the carwash I had finished washing and vacuumed. When I went to drive away the car lost it. Reving up when my foot was off the gas, stalling, not starting, just crap. Hung out for about half an hour, and it was fine.
Sound right?

#64 ·
That sounds about right, for a DME getting ready to go T-U. :thumbup: Especially if you have injectors that are "stuck" open and just dumping fuel, poor idle or erratic idle, poor response when you press the gas pedal, smoke coming from the passenger side vents, car not starting up at all, cussing, etc.

#65 ·
Car washes have killed many DMEs.......:(

Make certain you get your cowl drains cleaned out!

Try using some 70% concentration isopropyl alcohol with your soft brush to try and get your DME cleaned up.

#68 ·
Hey OP, look up Frank Smith via South Florida Performance. Apparently he does remote tunes. You have to buy a cable and software to grab the data from your ECU and then you send the data to Frank. He will do the rest. He has a decent reputation. You can Bing him as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.