BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Squeaky Sunroof

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  MarkusBMW 
#1 ·
Mine squeaks when it's closed. Tilt it and it goes away. Is there something I need to lube?

Thanks!

#4 ·
I'm also having this problem. If the sunroof and cover is closed, the cover squeeks/chatters most of the time. If I push up on the cover with my hand it stops (only while I'm pushing on it). It used to also go away in the vent position, but has begun making some noise in that position too now. And when the cover is all the way open there's some chattering from the glass towards the back. Mentioned to the dealer last time I was in, they fixed something else (rubber bellows things had come off) and pretended that was all it needed.

Please report back on what you use and how well it works!

#7 ·
What year X3? Up through at least 2006 a significant number of X3's developed this as a manufacturing defect. Some described it as a squeak (I had a squeaky one) and others decribed it as a rattle. The solution was dealer replacement, under warranty. Typcially you had better luck getting speedy replacement if you complained about a "rattle" to the dealer instead of a "squeak." I do not know whether it continues to be a problem in 2007 & later models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.