BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

High Mileage 6'ers.

23K views 100 replies 50 participants last post by  HerbP 
#1 · (Edited)
Any high mileage 6'ers out there? By high mileage, I'm talking at least a 100,000 miles or more. Even if you're not a high mileage 6'er, post up the current mileage and condition of your 6.

I'll go first. Bought this car in January 2013 with 55k miles on the clock. At 58.2k miles right now and have to do the vacuum pump soon. Had the Mechatronics sleeve replaced under CPO a few weeks ago.

#42 ·
These cars will last just like any other mechanical gear as long as you take car of it. Do your preventive maintenance guys and take car of the leaks as you see them. sick645ci shared a typical example of someone not taking care of things and the end results. I am amazed that the car lasted that long with the filter in pieces. Just like your body, if you feel something wrong, check it out. At least these cars will let you know something is a miss so fix it. A small thing can turn into a big headache real fast.

#49 · (Edited)
EU-spec 2004 645Ci 6MT Individual M-Technik, bought 2y ago at ~85k, now ~105k. Basically no issues. Mechanically sound, and fun to drive w/ all the manual & wacky ///M features… Daily driver… from mountains to autobahn & old medieval city. Every single mile behind this wheel makes me smile…

I don't really know what was done by the original owner in the past besides the usual maintenance, one paint job and all the applicable recalls (brake valve, instrument cluster) while still in warranty…

What was done by me:

• Normal maintenance (oil, filters et al., wiper blades, brake fluid…)
  • Brakes done a few more times (yes, I track it ;] as well as a few shredded tyres ;D …)
  • (incl. handbrake pads and the whole rear brake assy.)
  • Battery replacement (AGM retrofit & recoding)
  • Reflashed failing iDrive
  • Xenons, AE & fogs replaced (not for effect but slowly hitting the bulb lifetime)
  • Terminal 30g relay replaced
  • Saggy window trim fixed
  • A/C flush
  • CDV delete & clutch bleeding
What needs to be done in the next month or two:

• Control arm bushings
  • Thermostat
  • CCV
  • Diff fluid
  • Tranny fluid
  • Powersteering fluid
  • Solar sensor
  • F. Auc sensor
  • Failing license plate light modules
  • Engine bay cord "bump stops"
What's in the cards short-term (i.e. later this year in the next 15k):

• Service II (= spark plugs, fuel filter assy., etc. … the big service)
  • SZL recall
  • Battery terminal recall
What's going slowly to hell (i.e. will need to be done in another ~50k):

• Rear shock mount pads
  • Front wishbones etc.
  • Clutch
  • Diff bushing
  • Driveshaft bearing/joint
  • Cooling & vent hoses (preventively)

No leaks yet anywhere. Knock on wood. Very happy with the beast's service needs. The maintenance costs during the last 2y were laughable…

#53 ·
Ok, So bought the car from my Brother 4 years ago when it had 86,000 miles on it. Its a 2005 645Ci and after 4 years it now has 120,000 miles.

Have not done one major thing to the car. Have done synthetic oil chenges at 10,000 k intervals, just put on my first set of pads and have had to buy 4 wheels on the account of all the cracks on the OEM ellipsoids.

Other then that rides like a beast and have only driven BMW's since I graduated college. Makes no sense to drive anything else.

1. 1988 BMW 325is sold with 277,000 miles to a dealer
2. 1991 525ia toltalled on freeway at 167,000 only car that was able to drive away after pile up on the 405
3. 1995 740iL bought at auction for $5,000 and drove to 162,000 miles then sold to buy????
4. 2001 740iL Sold at 178,000 miles and then got the chance to buy the prize???
5. 2005 645 ci and runs like it's brand new

#55 ·
Purchased my 645csi sport w/cold pkg. a little over a year ago w/69k mi. from a reputable dealer in Columbia, MO. It's my daily driver even in winter. 4 Blizzaks make it run like an SUV, and we've had plenty of snow in Wisconsin this winter! I figure if the BMW lads build a car with heated seats, steering wheel and a ski hole in the trunk w/ski bag, SOMEBODY must drive 'em in the winter! (I notice most of you guys don't). Wife has a '01 320e merc wagon, 4 Matic and 150k mi. on it that we use when it really gets bad. I now have almost 78k on her now and she's going in to my local indy shop in a couple of weeks for a check up and oil chg. Otherwise, no mechanical problems whatsoever other than a runflat replacement last fall. Only thing I have noticed is she'll shoot some stupid codes at me periodically and then fix herself, she must be cuz when I check systems, nothing wrong.

#56 ·
05 645ci - 96666. Bought it after warranty and have paid dearly.
Last thing was a coolant / oil hose or something that snapped off causing transmission to not work. $1200 for the dealer to make that go away.
Before that buddy of mine helped me replace valve cover. I guess I owe herbP. yorgi labor costs on that one :D
Thermostat replaced and also coolant exp tank.
One of my wheels also cracked while here in Alaska. Another $700 down drain

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#57 ·
I am curious of what viscosity of motor oil you guys are using after the 75000. miles, i mean are you guys still using the 10w-30 for these motors or 10w-40? And a lot of people are having their wheels crack, is that a defect or just the way they drive?

Thanks

#58 ·
There are no 10W-30 or 10W-40 approved oils for the 6er. You should stick to one of these three no matter what your mileage is:
  • BMW 5W-30 (available at the dealer - Part # 07510017866)
  • Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic oil - European Formula (Advance Auto, some Walmarts, etc)
  • German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (now called Castrol EDGE with SPT)

The cracking ellipsoids were a design issue. A class action lawsuit was won against BMW due to this problem.

#59 ·
I'm about to buy a 6er with 120k and I'm really scared if it breaks down on me. Previous owner has gone to extremes to take care of it, that's why it hasn't had any major problems at all... Now at 120k no matter how much I take care of it, It will be due for a major repair soon. Am I right or wrong? Any advice you guys can help me out with? Thank you!

#60 · (Edited)
Based on the service history of the car, buying it would be a gamble. But some cars with lower mileage could have more problems whereas some high mileage cars can be reliable and vice versa. If you're a confident DIYer or have a good mechanic, you should be fine. Personally, the engine is bulletproof in the longevity of the parts, but it's the biodegradable plastic and rubber components that usually fail, such as seals. Get a pre-purchase inspection done by a reputable independent shop and pull up the service history on the car.

#62 ·
Actually the guy who owns the car is a guy from here. He checks out, he has proof aof all the work he has spent and all receipts to prove he has been taking very good care ofthe car. Had ut checked out by the BMW dealership 2 weeks ago and evrtyhing is A Ok with no probkems at all... My aik is to buy extended warranty as soon as I get it. Would companies even cover me or even entertain me knowing that this car is already at 120k?

P.S. Just for thought what would you pay for a car as such.. Really high miles but well taken cared of, not a single ding, scratch or bump. Title is CLEAN... Been overly meticulously maintained?...

#64 ·
If its been maintained correctly (coolant, trans fluid and power steering changed) just plan on a couple grand a year on maintenance and repair. If not pan on 3 to 4k a year. It's cheaper than a new car and given what you and wifey drive, it should fit in the budget. Just drive the car.

#65 ·
2007 650i - Owned for 1.5 years (70K when purchased), now has 102K miles. Best performing car ever owned!!!

Maintenance Items:
Expansion tank, radiator cap, and Thermostat - I recommend changing all three at once.
Tranny pan leak - fixed under warranty
Update iDrive - under warranty
Changed tires - approx 28K miles on Bridgestone Potenza RFT's (replaced with the same)
Normal oil change and maintenance

I have 245K on my 2000 3 series and expect to get the same or better out of this car.

#71 ·
Mine is 2009 so do I need an iDrive update? What is tank expension. Sound interesting to me.

I think they meant the expansion tank. I'm new to German cars as the 650i is our first German car. The expansion tank is like a coolant reservoir, but it's function doesn't just store coolant. From what I think I know, the tank slightly expands as the coolant heats up, building pressure.

#68 ·
Take care of any car and it will take care of you. I have a Merc wagon with 170k miles, runs like a charm and cheap maintenance. I think a lot of folks here are a little paranoid, waiting for their cars to break. Enjoy your cars. Maintain them well and they will not let you down.

#72 ·
06- 60,000miles purchased off lease in 09

I have a list more like tampamark
nav screen went dead they replaced under warranty
Battery (but thats normal)
waterpump
thermostat
radiator
valve cover gasket
and currently debating on valve seals and guides

pretty bad for 80k my opinion the next owner will really enjoy the car

#73 ·
06- 60,000miles purchased off lease in 09

I have a list more like tampamark
nav screen went dead they replaced under warranty
Battery (but thats normal)
waterpump
thermostat
radiator
valve cover gasket
and currently debating on valve seals and guides

pretty bad for 80k my opinion the next owner will really enjoy the car
Radiator!? That's too early, considering how our radiators are 100% aluminum. Valve cover gaskets are a weak part as well.

#76 ·
I have a 2006 650i coupe w/sport package with 143000 miles on it. The only thing that started to happen is the smoke after idle with warm engine, due to the valve seals. It is still passing emissions, so the only drawback is the embarrassment at the red light and the frequent oil refills.

I just did a seafoam treatment into the gas tank and it made the car run much better. I had a slight hesitation when accelerating hard, but it is gone now.

#80 ·
I have a 2005 645 Ci that I bought in 2011 with 72,000. I now have 103,000 and have had a couple issues that have not all been resolved yet. Battery failed (no surprise), just changed the voltage regulator in the alternator last weekend, and the moon roof shade fail sometime last year. Haven't fixed the shade yet because it's big money for the parts. I certainly do love driving this car though. I can put up with the little things once in a while to have this much fun commuting to work.

#83 ·
2007 BMW 650I Titanium Silver

Purchased in spring of 2012, with 65K miles, Now have 102K miles:

Following repairs:

Thermostat replaced
Expansion Tank replaced
Fan Switch
Set of Tires

In the process of changing the Cooling Fan - The car overheats, the fan is not clicking on at all. Mechanic (Indy), informed me that the cooling fan needed to be replaced.

Garry

Attachments

#86 ·
2005 bought about 3 years ago with 52k. Now have 110k.

Replaced rotors and pads
Replaced guibo in driveline. Hope that sounds right.
Need to replace thermostat
Has a small oil leak

Love this car.....runs strong and fast and gets lots of looks!

Sent from my SM-N900P using BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.