BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Angel Eyes not working

6K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  janbrasna 
#1 · (Edited)
A few weeks ago I bought these LED lights
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-10W-White...e:BMW|Model:645Ci&hash=item3cceb01f32&vxp=mtr
After installation they did work but today I took the car for a drive (first time since installation) and I noticed the lights were off. After some investigation I noticed that the lights would flash several times when I start the car but then stay off, I took the lights out and after wiggling on the connections they would come on. So this should be an easy fix - I soldered all connection (there are several as you can see in the pic) except the one that plugs into the original connector on the vehicle, but the lights still don't work. I also tried the old bulbs and they also do not work. Has anyone an idea what is going on here?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
A few weeks ago I bought these LED lights
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-10W-White...e:BMW|Model:645Ci&hash=item3cceb01f32&vxp=mtr
After installation they did work but today I took the car for a drive (first time since installation) and I noticed the lights were off. After some investigation I noticed that the lights would flash several times when I start the car but then stay off, I took the lights out and after wiggling on the connections they would come on. So this should be an easy fix - I soldered all connection (there are several as you can see in the pic) except the one that plugs into the original connector on the vehicle, but the lights still don't work. I also tried the old bulbs and they also do not work. Has anyone
an idea what is going on here?
Have you confirmed that they are currently enabled in the iDrive (yes, even though they were working).

They will flash either way when you start the car.

If so, plug in the old lights and see if they work.

If not then follow the fuses.

#3 ·
Canadian versions of the 6 series do not have DLR/angel eyes adjustment options in iDrive.

I would use a voltmeter to see if you are getting anything at the plugs and if not check fuses first like roseng suggested.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks Roseng and Yorgi

before checking the fuses, I thought to just give it another try and when I turned the car on, the lights worked. Not sure what was going on yesterday because I played with the lights for some time and even the old lights wouldn't work. I just hope everything stays the way it is now and the lights keep shining white and bright.

#5 ·
That sounds like corrosion on the plugs. Maybe try spraying some contact cleaner on both contacts next time you open it up. (DexoIT is great, your local RadioShack/Source will probably have something similar or WD40 if you are desperate)

#7 ·
when I have the head light switch in auto mode, my angel eyes are only on if the lights are on at night but don't come on with the daytime running lights. I had the car at my Indy to disable the passenger side seat-belt warning and also asked him to change the angel eyes to be on all the time, unfortunately he could not change the light settings and told me he has to look into it. Is this common on older (2004) Canadian vehicles? I noticed several BMWs with the angel eyes off during the day.

#8 ·
when I have the head light switch in auto mode, my angel eyes are only on if the lights are on at night but don't come on with the daytime running lights.
Yes, that's correct for preLCI models, as the halo rings there (at least EU-spec) are not homologated for DRL use (= are weak, do not have varying intensity and are unusable in sunlight). I'm not sure any add-on as eLCM/LCM2 solves this, I'm afraid you'd need to have the AEs hardwired if you wanna use them as DRLs in auto mode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.