BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rajaie: spark plugs changed week ago, car shakes this morning 54F!

7K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Arcadekid 
#1 · (Edited)
Before I go with the vanos kit, I tried to replace all my spark plugs a week ago. The cold shaking seemed to be fixed... for a day or 2.

This week:
- every morning, the engine shakes and brings up the engine light. It does not stall though... restart the car will make the engine light go off. The temprature was 54F this morning, not so cold, but the car still shook...
- 2000-2500rpm engine makes some noise that does not sound good, and car is sloppy. Can't make clean pass when I needed to.

Then I went to AutoZone to read the code, the guy used his OBD II but got no code, it says 'passed'. wth? I ask him if he can check all codes that are stored, he said there are no codes stored. wth??? I don't know what to say, just hoped i knew how to use that mf.

So:
- replacing 6 spark plugs did not make the morning shake go away!!!!!:dunno:
- Can you please let me know if there are codes that I can retrieve???
- I will order the vanos kit and repair vanos this weekend, by myself:eeps:

Do you think this is 90% vanos problem? or I still need the codes retrieved before making any decisions??????

Thanks a lot!!

See less See more
#3 ·
I doubt your problem is the vanos.

It would be useful if you had a code reader and read the codes before they erased themselves. I suspect you would get misfires and lean codes.

Try disconnecting the MAF. See if that resolves the problem. You can clean the MAF with CRC MAF cleaner. Be careful to not damage the wires on the sensor. Slowly spray to coat. Do not power wash.
Are you using an aftermarket engine air filter?

This could be a vacuum leak. When were the CVV and associated hoses last replaced?
Check your air intake boot for cracks or leaks. The small branch to the ICV is susceptible to cracking.

Clean your ICV, but that's no likely the problem.

How old is your fuel filter?

In the morning, start the car and listen under the hook for a whistle.

Hope this helps.

#6 ·
guys, I am not sure if I got the codes for morning shaking...

The only codes I got using my newly equiped PEAKE is: 15 92 91 EE

92: EVAP capillary leak (0.5mm) detected
91: EVAP small leak detected

These 2 codes do not sound like the ones for morning shaking...

Maybe the codes are already been erased????????

Any idea??

Thanks a million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 ·
91 & 92 indicate a leak in the fuel evaporation system. This is often a gas cap not tightened or a bad gasket on the gas cap.
I wouldn't expect this to cause the shaking and the codes might be there all the time without a light.

EE is misfire on cylinder 1. This would cause the shaking and the light.

Make sure the sparkplug is installed properly.
Clear the codes and keep checking to see if it only occurs on cyl 1. If so, then swap cyl 1 sparkplug and coil with two other cylinders. See if the code moves to one of these two cylinders. That might help you figure out if it's the sparkplug or coil.

#8 ·
Replaced ignition coil for #1 cylinder, and the rough idle issue is dramatically improved.

However, it still runs rough (slightly) and I couldn't manage to bring up the light, so there are no more codes since I reset it using my PEAKE tool...

Any advise please??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.