BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Power Rear Sunshades Question / Difficulty

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  chrischeung 
#1 ·
If the rear window sunshade is already up, is there a way to raise the side rear door window sunshades without first having to lower the rear window sunshade from the sunshade button on the driver’s door?

#4 ·
I would doubt that there would be any electronic damage. Otherwise wouldn't BMW program some logic to stop this, or even highlight this in the manual? I do the same thing with my car.

#6 · (Edited)
That I agree with. But isn't it designed for that? It's built to take it, and should last the life of the car, or at least, as long as any other motor in the car, like the seat motors. I honestly can't recall anyone having burnt out an electric motor on a BMW, say less than 10 years old. Electronics I hear about, but mechanical defects not caused by some external issue like water, I can't recall.

Isn't the biggest cause of DC motor burn out due to load resistance, and not in this case, probably a change in polarity? I also think that BMW has some control logic between cycles to stop any damage. They have the logic to stop the shade when it is fully extended or retracted for example. So perhaps there is a small "break" when you switch from one direction to the other. The button is definitely not connected directly to the motor, since all you need to do is depress the button for the rear shade, and hold longer for all shades.

Having said that - I leased my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.