BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Going to buy this weekend or on Monday - need help!

6K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  RobertaZ 
#1 ·
I can pick up a new 2012 328i Coupe with M Sport suspension for the same price as a new 2013 328i Sport Line with sport suspension.

Has anyone driven and compared these two vehicles (2012 or 2013s)? I was blown away by the cornering and handling ability of the Coupe and wanted to know if a Sport Line with its sport suspension option would have comparable ride and handling as the Coupe. I know that the engines are different, but I'm only interested in opinions on the handling and ride. There's only one Coupe left and so I have to decide ASAP.

Thanks!

RobertaZ

#2 ·
I can pick up a new 2012 328i Coupe with M Sport suspension for the same price as a new 2013 328i Sport Line with sport suspension.

Has anyone driven and compared these two vehicles (2012 or 2013s)? I was blown away by the cornering and handling ability of the Coupe and wanted to know if a Sport Line with its sport suspension option would have comparable ride and handling as the Coupe. I know that the engines are different, but I'm only interested in opinions on the handling and ride. There's only one Coupe left and so I have to decide ASAP.

Thanks!

RobertaZ
The cars handle very similarly though the Sedan is larger.

Be advised that this is the very last year of the Coupe which first arrived in 2006, so instead of buying in the 1st calendar year of the new Sedan bodystyle you'd be buying the 7th calendar year of the old bodystyle. Come Spring, the new version of the Coupe will hit the streets and you'll be driving a car that's already obsolete from a design perspective.

BJ

#6 ·
Are you asking about coupes or sedans?

For sedans, the F30 (new body style) was introduced for MY2012. MY2013, which is currently selling, is the second year.

For coupes, the F32 (new body style) will probably be introduced as a MY2014. MY2013 is currently on sale and is the E92 (old style).

There is going to be a quite a difference in handling between the E92 (coupe) and F30 (sedan) because of changes to the steering, suspension, and tires. Don't order something without first driving it.

#10 · (Edited)
I can't seem to find any dealers in the Toronto area who have Sport Line cars with sport suspension to test drive. Has anyone here driven the Sport Line with and without the SS?

My '07 E90 has SS and I love the way it handles. I'm sure an F30 will be even better, but I would REALLY to drive it myself before taking the plunge.

RobertaZ

#11 ·
Yeah, you should definitely drive one before making the commitment.

If you're still going to consider the 2012, make sure it's appropriately discounted. For it to be a good deal, you should be able to get it for ~ 15% less than an equivalently optioned 2013, as it's lost close to 15% in value simply by virtue of it being a year older than a 2013.

If you could get a 2013 model for $50k (for example), you would want to be targeting <$43k for the 2012 for this to be a reasonable deal. In my experience (in the US), dealers do not discount previous model year cars enough to make them worthwhile.

#12 ·
(Canadian prices).

BMW Canada is offering a $4k discount on the 2012 coupe along with a $3,000 discount which I can get on any car I purchase. There's also another $1,000 loyalty discount that would apply. Essentially, the only 2012-specific discount is the $4k. I'd like to get more, if I'm going to get the '12. It is the last '12 that the dealer has in stock, so I don't think that they are in any rush to discount it any more.

RobertaZ

#13 ·
(Canadian prices).

BMW Canada is offering a $4k discount on the 2012 coupe along with a $3,000 discount which I can get on any car I purchase. There's also another $1,000 loyalty discount that would apply. Essentially, the only 2012-specific discount is the $4k. I'd like to get more, if I'm going to get the '12. It is the last '12 that the dealer has in stock, so I don't think that they are in any rush to discount it any more.

RobertaZ
all else being equal i don't think thats enough of a discount.

when the 2014 coupe comes out in 9 months, that 2012 coupe will take a much larger hit given now its "2 years" old And would just plain loook old.

when the 2012 F30 came out, E90 prices used im sure dropped as well more than if it was just a regular model year change

#16 ·
In September, I took delivery of a 2013 E92 coupe. It is my understanding from the dealer that BMW is targeting July of 2013 for the F32 coupe.

However, if X-drive is important, that drive-train may not be available until January of 2014 or perhaps even later.

Concerning cost, I was offered identical E92 coupes (in a desirable color combination jet black/saddle) for the following: $1500 UNDER invoice for the 2012 and $1100 OVER invoice for the 2013. If you are willing to take an odd combination (red/cream interior) in a 2012, I have seen the prices of those coupes down around 2500 under invoice. 2013 E92s do not appear to be receiving "end of body style price" treatment-- and likely won't until the F32 is officially announced and arriving on dealer lots.

I didn't want to be a guinea-pig for the new 4 banger engine. And, since I have to differentiate the F30s from the E90s (post LCI) by either 1. seeing that pop-up nav screen or 2. the grey bottom of the back bumper I don't imagine the coupe to be "instantly outdated" in the looks department.

My biggest regret in choosing this generation over waiting is the second shaved off to 60 and the +6 mpg in city driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.