BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Greg Poland / Pacific BMW

58K views 192 replies 104 participants last post by  Ace535i 
#1 ·
This is my first post, but I think others may find this information useful. Thanks to all the incredible information on this forum, I was able to conclude my M3 Conv purchase quickly and without wasting money. For the most part, though, I'm writing this as a thank-you note for Greg Poland, one of the board sponsors.

First, I contacted a few dealerships to see what deals they could offer and whether or not a lease was an option for me. This was mostly a disappointing experience, especially since most of those dealerships either wanted to haggle over the price, charged huge markups on MFs, or stopped replying to my emails once they found out that I wouldn't be the easiest customer to get approved through BMWFS thanks to a few late payments.

Luckily, someone suggested I contact one of the board sponsors, so I got in touch with Greg Poland in Los Angeles. Greg didn't ask me to post this recommendation (hopefully he won't mind, either), but he deserves it after the great work he did to first get me approved for a lease with BMWFS (without a MF markup) and quickly and efficiently set up my ED appointment and car purchase. I also didn't have to negotiate the price at all - Greg offered his usual great pricing (set amount over invoice - very reasonable) without my having to ask. Furthermore, since I generally have learned to distrust dealers, he did his best to share all relevant information with me, including screen shots and whatever other information was relevant.

I did not think buying a car could be so painless and simple. Greg's great, and he dealt with my 30+ emails quickly and professionally. I'd never thought I would say this - but this was actually a pleasant experience and if you are looking for a car in California, I really don't think you could do much better than to go with Greg. This is how car buying should be IMO.

I realize that there's a lot of superlatives in this post - but honestly, :thumbup:

See less See more
#189 ·
My mother waited until the very last possible moment, and decided she needed to get a 335i convertible. Of course, she wanted it optioned in a way that nobody has on the lot anywhere in the country. So, I quickly inquired about doing an order. However, we are basically down to the end of the line. John Shafer informed me that there were still a couple modifiable build spots, and with that knowledge in hand, I got in touch with Greg. He once again moved mountains, traded an allocation for the build spot, and placed the order for my parents. The slot was already at 112, and will be flipping into production soon.

I can't say enough about Greg, he made magic happen, and then took really great care of my parents with a great price. This will be two car sales in two months from my family. My 435i ED Oct7 and this PCD build for my parents of a 335i convertible. The man just gets things done. He is a true gentleman and as fair and honest as they come.

Also, wanted to thank John Shafer for all the help on this as well. He went above and beyond answering my questions before I was able to engage Greg on this issue. As time was such a factor, I put feelers and questions out to both guys and John was amazingly helpful!

Thank you guys!

I cannot offer higher praise.

#191 ·
So, some of you may know this, others maybe not. Anyway, last December 16 I was walking across a crosswalk in Studio City Ca, about 1 mile from my apartment. I was completely legally in the cross walk with 3/4 lanes at a dead stop. The one lane I could not see appeared empty. However, it was slightly blocked by an SUV in the lane next to it. By the time I could see the lane properly, I didn't have time to react to a young lady not paying attention who was bearing down on me at 35 MPH. Needless to say, I was struck by the vehicle, flew 65-80 feet down the street, and somehow miraculously survived with only a badly broken right hip.

I was in the hospital for 3 weeks and basically immobile for 12 weeks. During this time, I began reading about the new 4 series coupe concept that BMW had recently unveiled. While in the hospital, I said that when I was able to walk and drive again, I was going to find a way to make that my first BMW. I had contemplated buying a BMW for 12-18 months already at that point. However, I had kept being frugal as I didn't much care for the E9X designs compared to the E36/E46. I really liked the new F30 stylings. However, I wanted a coupe. So, I had waited. Now, during my recovery the 4 series became a point of near obsession. The thought that I could have died with all this cash in the bank, but without ever having owned a car I could easily afford got under my skin. It was decided when I was well enough, it was time to live a little. Every hard day or Physical Therapy, every miserable walk etc, I focused on my goal to become mobile enough again that I could get in and out of my future BMW. (sounds corny, but when you're recovering you have to have some prize to focus on).

Anyway, around June as the medical bills were finally paid, and my health had seen greats strides, I set out for a car buying experience that I decided I had GOAL in mind. I wanted to have a hell of a lot of fun and have a no pressure sale.

It was around this time when BMW released the online configurator and was about to begin production on the 4 series. I decided, however, rather than just simply give myself so easily to the brand that I had always lusted after (I had driven a few and the drive was unlike anything else I had ever driven), I would do a more scientific approach as I had the time.

Over the course of the summer, I made a list of vehicles I was interested in and set out to learn about them, build them online, visit their dealers, and drive them.

This list included

Mercedes Benz C-Class sedan and Coupe
Mercdeds Benz E Class Coupe
Audi S5
Audi S4
BMW 335i
BMW 435i

My goal was to be able to custom order a car (preferably for European Delivery) and to try and keep the price under or around $60,000.00. At this point I was set on just paying cash for the car and owning.

Anyway, I found pretty quickly that BMW has the best and most engaged enthusiast forums of all 3 brands listed above. I found Bimmerfest and a wealth of knowledge. Most of all, I heard about Greg Poland.

Now, on my way to Greg, I contacted 3-4 other BMW dealers that were around my area, and most wouldn't give me the time of day on a 435i. They all kept trying to push me into an on the lot 335i. Or, they would offer that they could order my car for me in October. I, however, had my sights set on feeling VIP and hoped to add my ED picked up on to the end of my European Vacation at the beginning of October.

Well, all it took was one quick email to Greg explaining my rough year, and my goals... The man got it immediately, brought me down, had me test drive some 3 series to get a comparison. We talked numbers, and the difference in price if I ordered a 335i vs 435i with the same options etc. However, I asked if I could do a second test drive to let my wife give her feedback. He agreed. A few days later she test drove with me... Greg showed her and I both great patience and respect. The next day, with my wife's full agreement, I called Greg and told him I had decided on the coupe, and I wanted to place my order. He got me the allocation by the beginning of August, and a week later, I was setup to do my ED on Oct 7th (a date which many on the forums told me was impossible, and other dealers scoffed at as a lie).

No, it was no lie. Greg delivered for me big time. My car went into production around my birthday on August 25. She finished the first week of September. Around this time, I felt so well informed about BMW leasing and how great their rates are, I decided to save my cash and convert my purchase into a lease. Greg obliged and quickly put the package together. Sept 16 I went in and signed with my check for drive off and 7 MSD's.

Sept 20 I left for Europe, had the vacation of a lifetime with my family. We spent a week in my old stomping grounds in Rome and then a week in Paris. Then, I left Paris for the final weekend of Oktoberfest in Munich with my wife. We drank and ate and drank some more. Then, Monday the 7th arrived, and I went to the Welt to be the second of all 4 series Deliveries. The first having taken place on the 5th.

After enjoying her on the Autobahn, I dropped the car on the 9th and returned home. My EBII/Coral Red beauty took the next ship out of Bremerhaven to the west coast and landed in Port Hueneme on the 13th. On the 22nd Greg called me for redelivery. (with the added bonus that no one at Pacific drilled my front bumper for plates :)

At every point in this process Greg has been the best of the new car world.

1. He showed me great respect and didn't talk down to me like other dealers had over the cheap car I had owned thru my twenties.
2. He genuinely seemed happy to help me and excited to be a part of my healing/survival gift to myself.
3. I told him my goal was to have fun with the sale. He gave me no pressure, told me bottom dollar pricing from day one.
4. Didn't waste my time.
5. Didn't ask me for a deposit.
6. Said he could deliver me an allocation and my ED date, and he did.
7. Communicated with beautifully the entire way.
8. Has sold 2 other family members cars a long the way.

In short, my dream of BMW ownership came about as Greg Poland wiped the floor with the competition. #1 in customer service, #1 in price, #1 in just being a guy you would want to grab a beer with.

I think everyone on this board should do themselves a favor and at least give Greg the chance to earn your business before you buy. He will tell you straight up if it's a price he can't or won't beat. He won't waste your time, and 90% of the time I think he will be the lowest. Also, I would pay a few extra bucks to work with Greg in the future because service like that cannot be beat.

Cheers to you Greg. Thanks for putting the smile on my face and keeping it there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.