BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

new 2008 X5 owner...sat radio question

6K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  lanbrown 
#1 ·
I'm happy as a pig in pie with my "new" used 2008 X5. It came nicely equipped with bluetooth and nav, but i want to add satellite radio. It has the option S693A - BMW Satellite Radio Preparation, which I understand to only mean wiring.

If I want to do it myself, what parts do I need to purchase? I also understand that the dealer needs to activate it, but I have ordered the DCAN cable and will be looking at tweaking my codes. If I can also activate satellite that way, then all the better.

#2 ·
I am almost certain you are going to need the module before attempting any coding procedure. The module isn't cheap (around $950) retail. I am looking for a module for my 2009 328i...I am going to try the salvage yard route before I break down and buy one through more traditional routes. There is also a bracket needed, which holds a cooling fan. There sure has been quite a lot of interest in satellite retro-fitting recently. Good luck to the both of us..

#6 ·
As mentione elsewhre, BMW is not making this available at retail.

It confuses me as they DO need it for warranty work, so I wonder how they are handling this...someone with a warranty claim MUST be able to get one.

Try speaking to humans and not using google alone to purchase....

#7 ·
Ard,

I have reached out to several dealers by phone. The current part number 65129192274 replaces former part numbers 65129192273 and 65129162994. It is in stock at all the onees I spoke to...ranging from $800-$1200. The list price is $495 on realoem.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=FE43&mospid=50042&btnr=65_1689&hg=65&fg=05

So, I will continue to use google and seek out fellow owners selling a used one. In the meantime, i can use my XM app on my iPhone and pipe in the music through the AUX port.

#8 · (Edited)
Hello phl08. I have tried a few salvage yards for this part, but no luck (which is kinda expected, as most cars are fixed and not just thrown to the parts wolves). The best I have been able to find is for $769. I just called my dealer, and they wanted $1100 for it. The car that I am looking to install Sirius in already has HD radio, which has really suprised me...it is really good-making the decision difficult. Update, if you are a BMWCCA member, take 10%off above price...PM me if you want the vendor name

#9 ·
Checking daily, I have searched EBay for the term: "BMW Sirius". Then I sort the results to show newest on top. Today, finally, I got a hit with a valid part number. $399. I'd have liked to find one cheaper, but I bit the bullet. I ordered the bracket and hex but/bolt from bmw of south atlanta.

Once I install it this weekend(provided it arrives by then), I'll reach out to bimmertech for the remote coding/activation. He emailed and told me he can do this, although, technically speaking, I'm not sure as to how that happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.